Talk

Advanced search

List of things plus essentials to take for 3 year old for a weeks hol in Spain ?

(12 Posts)
mumma2cjh Sun 10-Aug-08 21:45:04

Im compiling lists now of things to take to Majorca. An suggestions would be great.

mumma2cjh Mon 11-Aug-08 19:17:24

anyone? I know there was a list a few weeks ago but I cant find it

letuseatcake Tue 12-Aug-08 13:31:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

quinne Tue 12-Aug-08 17:35:58

sun cream, sun glasses (Uk has good ones for children with UV protection - in other countries they are just decoration only), sun protection suit.
I find nappy sacks are greta for taking wet swimsuits home from the beach (no leaking!)

A few light, small hours of fun type toys - toy cars if he's a boy for example , colouring pencils and book for journey.

3 year olds don't need so much as younger children but I would still use nappies at night just in case - so 14 nappies!

Basic medicine kit - calpol, piriton for kids, plasters, antiseptic cream.

chipmunkswhereareyou Sun 17-Aug-08 22:28:12

I'm now finding it pretty easy to travel with my ds (3). We travel quite a lot so I think I've the packing pretty sorted. And boy is my list shorted than when he was a baby!

I divide my packing list for him into categories to make it easier for me to work out what we need and spot what's missing.
(This is off the top of my head so please do check!)

Here is mine:
CLOTHING
UV tshirt
UV shorts
sunglasses
Hat
4 pairs shorts
2 pairs lightweight long trousers for flight/ evenings in case of mozzies
Sandals (pref crocs or washable ones in case of wee accidents!)
Swim/ beach shoes - I like those neoprene ones with non-slip soles.
PJ bottoms
Tshirts - depends how messy he is but I take about 4 or 5 for a week ss plus 2 long sleeved (air conditioned hotel rooms can be a little chilly at night!)

HEALTH & PERSONAL CARE ETC.
Toothbrush and kiddy toothpaste
Nailclippers
Thermometer
First aid kit (v. small one from boots)
Calpol sachets
Arnica cream
wipes
insect repellent
sun creams

PLAYING
crayons and paper
teddy bear for bed
Fave vehicles
'playtray' (a great idea I picked up from someone else - take a cardboard box's lid, which is white on the inside, draw road/ train track, add stickers or pictures of ds's fave places, even people and bingo he can send his little cars trains around it on his lap without them falling off!)
DVD player or laptop pc if you have one for dvd on the plane (although we often manage without this)
A few other compact fave toys packed into a small kids' rucksack that can be taken on plane and then used when you go to dinner and they get gripey.
Mini magnetic drawing pad
Sticker books

EATING
One non-spill cup for night time and days out
Cereal bars for on the plane and snacks when there (they are v light and don't tend to get squashed)
A few packs of choc buttons/ those small bags of biscuits (for emergencies like very long airport queues)

HTH.

chipmunkswhereareyou Sun 17-Aug-08 22:28:34

shorter not shorted.

chipmunkswhereareyou Sun 17-Aug-08 22:31:46

p.s. fab idea I chanced upon - ds was desperate for a wee once and I'm not keen on him doing it behind a tree etc. as I worry about splashes....I found an old nappy from pre-potty training days, got him to wee on it (held it next to the crucial bit) and then stuck it in a nappy sack.
Much easier than a folding potty thing, lighter and less bulky.
Guess would only be ok for a child who wasn't very recently trained and likely to get confused?

chipmunkswhereareyou Sun 17-Aug-08 22:32:02

Ha ha might clarify - the 'old nappy' was unused...

cece Sun 17-Aug-08 22:37:32

good lists so far

plus

rubber ring or arm bands/swimm goggles
teddy bear to sleep with
toys for the pool
swimming costume
emergency phone number for the area you are visiting

mumma2cjh Mon 18-Aug-08 08:11:44

Fabulous lists!!! The cardboard box idea is brilliant - Im searching for one now!!!!

ChopsTheDuck Mon 18-Aug-08 08:24:05

I don't take any toys for ours because it causes more problems than it solves!
If they have toys in the car or on the plane they get thrown around, lost, fighted over, etc. They then demand toy after toy. It's far easier if you can get them used to sitting without needing tons of entertainment. Mine usually sit 'reading' the inflight magazine now, and I take snacks for when they really get fidgety.

For the very short time in the mornings while we are in the apartment they watch tv, while we are out in the car they are happy to watch out the windows or play counting games.

We managed with the buggy in restaurants when they were smaller if there wasn't a high chair. Spain does have some high chairs, but they never seem to have straps - we ended looking everywhere for reins.

I am doing the nappy thing for poo emergencies - Spain doesn't have many public toilets.

I'd add antihistamine onto the list of medicines. I buy those calpol sachets because they are easier to have on the go. For a comforter we used to take a familiar blanket which helped with bedtime or tiredness while out and about.

Hooded cape style towels are my must too. The youngest seem to feel cold when they get out of the water. Primark do them very cheaply.

chipmunkswhereareyou Mon 18-Aug-08 10:24:15

Mamma - it IS such a cool idea (not mine as I said so I can't take the credit) and ds and I had loads of fun making ours.

We decided on all his fave places and then gathered up bits and pieces for them on the 'map' e.g. the logo from his nursery, the logo for his fave coffee shop, a picture of a cat similar to one he likes in a neighbouring house, the train station etc.
Obviously most of the photos are not of the exact train station and sometimes we just did drawings but it was loads of fun.

The lid of a large shoe box would work well (you don't want it too big after all).
Can't be too flimsy or will get squashed in your bag.

On the other side i.e. the top I also put animal stickers and letter stickers around the edges spelling his name, easy words etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now