Talk

Advanced search

Boring - Car seats - cheaper to take your own & pay baggage fees or hire at airport?

(14 Posts)
AnotherFineMess Sun 10-Aug-08 20:42:29

Evening all,

We're flying to Cork airport next Sat with BMI Baby. It costs £12.00 per item per journey to check in luggage - but I think I can get both car seats in a large holdall so costing £24 in total.

My mum has booked the car hire & can never remember the name of the company when I ask her (!) so that I could ring them to see how much it costs to hire seats from them.

We need one forward facing infant seat (for our 18 month old) and one booster seat for almost our 4 year old.

Has anyone hired car seats recently? Any idea how much they cost please? I've tried all of the likely car-hire websites but they just say that there is 'an additional cost' for car seat hire...hmm

Thank you! Told you it was boring!

AnotherFineMess Sun 10-Aug-08 21:13:00

Bump.

hifi Sun 10-Aug-08 22:12:06

i recently took dd on easy jet, we checked in two prepaid bags, the buggy and car seat were free. look at the blurb on the web site.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Mon 11-Aug-08 00:20:52

we have never paid to put car seats in the hold and they have always been checked-in in addition to any pre-booked baggage.

Personally, would rather take my own than hire. On the few occasions I have hired a car seat I have not been happy with the condition (altho I am sure they were perfectly safe as hired through reputable companies).

Overmydeadbody Mon 11-Aug-08 00:23:48

Cheaper to take your own, definately. I have yet to be charged to do this as I don't book it as luggage when booking the tickets, just turn up on the day with them.

Car hire places charge on average about 40 Euros per seat, and the seats can be grubby and unfamiliar to you so a faf to get the kids in and out of.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 11-Aug-08 00:37:17

hifi - can you point me in the direction of the easyjet blurb? i can't find it anywhere.

melbob Mon 11-Aug-08 01:32:55

Def take own hired one for week in italy £35 and shabby and one in perpignan whihc was n't safe

TheBlonde Mon 11-Aug-08 07:22:28

cheaper to take your own usually
in sweden they wanted 50 quid for a booster seat for a week

hifi Mon 11-Aug-08 12:21:14

here chasing easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=60&p_created=1074092364&p_s id=OK7Pew8j&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3 Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1wcmFt&p_li=&p_t opview=1

slinkiemalinki Mon 11-Aug-08 12:55:03

Never mind about cheap - after several bad experiences hiring shite car seats, including in the US where they flat refused to help us install THEIR seat in THEIR hire car (because apparently if we had an accident and DD was harmed, we may sue them angry), we have concluded that there really is no safe option but to take your own! Glad to see people have not had probs doing it - I will be doing so next time.

Bellie Mon 11-Aug-08 12:58:58

I think it is cheaper to take your own - however, I am really scared of putting them in the hold. This is after watching one fall of the conveyor that loads the plane from a height (of about 12foot) and I am not sure that you would be able to tell, but am pretty certain it would be damaged internally iyswm.

littlerach Mon 11-Aug-08 13:18:38

Take your own.

We paid to take them with Ryanair last year, think it was £10.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 11-Aug-08 18:18:11

thanks hifi - no mention of car seats on that though - was yours an infant seat or a toddler one? I might give them a call.

AnotherFineMess Mon 11-Aug-08 23:46:21

Thanks everyone, I'd logged off last night thinking it was too boring a thread to get a reply - only to find all of you lovely people tonight.

I'll just take mine then. I bought a massive holdall last time we flew because they were trying to charge us £72 for baggage, so if they do try to charge me, I'll put them both in there and only have to pay £12 for one item.

Good point about them potentilaly getting damaged though. Toddler seat would be fine I think as that seems more like a bog-standard booster seat, but infant seat is one of the chunky ones. Mind you I hate it, so at least I'd have a good excuse for getting a new one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now