Talk

Advanced search

Italian holday - I haven't a clue

(9 Posts)
nobodytoldme Sat 09-Aug-08 22:50:57

We would love to take our (soon to be) 11mo to Italy in early September. We haven't been before so have no idea where to start! A small cottage/villa with access to a pool somewhere baby friendly (and a nice region of course) would be ideal.
Any recommendations?

Ellbell Sat 09-Aug-08 23:02:32

Everywhere in Italy is baby-friendly - though more in the sense of people being welcoming, than in the sense of 'facilities'. (You might stuggle to find baby-changing rooms, etc, for example, but people will be welcoming and helpful wherever you go.) What do you want to do/see? Tuscany is an obvious place to start, but there are so many beautiful areas. Liguria is stunning (was there at Easter), or you could go to one of the islands (Sardinia or Sicily).

NicMac Sun 10-Aug-08 08:12:34

We went to the Piedmont region last month, complete find - gorgeous but their was no pool in the hotel. Would consider here though or Tuscany. We went near Lucca once, was lovely

DaisyBuchanon Sun 10-Aug-08 08:21:01

I absolutely love the Amalfi Coast - south of Naples. Amalfi is the main town (still small) but there are surrounding villages including Ravello. It's easy to do a day trip to Pompeii, or catch a ferry to Capri. It's a beautiful area, but not for the timid driver - there is one main road that clings to cliff edges, has hair-pin bends etc. My DH's idea of heaven but not to everyone's taste!

AbbeyA Sun 10-Aug-08 08:25:24

The Italian Lakes are beautiful.

forevared Mon 11-Aug-08 12:51:12

If you want rural and beautiful and don't mind hiring a car, then Tuscany is perfect. There's also some larger towns and cities there too if you don't fancy the car option, but if it's a city break you want then Rome is my number one.
Other than that for stunning beauty you can't do much better than the Amalfi coast. We got married in Ravello and it's absolutely gorgeous, although very little to do there with kids.

LIZS Mon 11-Aug-08 12:54:26

agree Italian Lakes - not too hot, fresh breezes from the water, easy to get around by boat or road, gentle walks along the lakeside, not busy in September or overly commercial

selby Mon 11-Aug-08 14:16:31

Well, we're off to Tuscany with a 4 yr old 1.5 yr old for the first week of Sept. Flying to Pisa with a budget airline, hiring a car from the airport and staying here. Can't wait!

nobodytoldme Tue 12-Aug-08 22:37:21

Looks amazing selby. Decided to just go to a friend's place in France, maybe Italy next year. I like the sound of the lakes, any recommendations for accomodation, and I can be organised and pre book for the first time ever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now