Talk

Advanced search

OMG, PANIC - WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

(31 Posts)
Gobbledigook Thu 31-Jul-08 13:17:13

Just got a letter saying 're Travel Worldwide Ltd - ceased trading 21/07/08' and then that we have booked with Thomas Cook and I'm to contact their credit control dept to continue with my holiday.

Have called but have only been able to leave name and number as the poor girl there obviously has 101 people to call.

Help - are my flights doomed?!

bundle Thu 31-Jul-08 13:18:10

are they part of ABTA/ATOL?

bundle Thu 31-Jul-08 13:20:27

did you book on credit card?

Gobbledigook Thu 31-Jul-08 13:22:22

On my invoice it says ATOL. THe letter I've got is from ABTA/CEGA

I paid the deposit on credit card and the balance with a cheque.
Only about a week ago I also booked specific seats with Thomas Cook directly.

bundle Thu 31-Jul-08 13:23:30

hope they ring you back soon, fingers crossed.

when do you fly?

Gobbledigook Thu 31-Jul-08 13:23:39

An ABTA spokesman said the "majority" of the bookings were made by the agency acting as an agent, meaning tour operators and other suppliers used in the transaction are legally bound to honour the bookings.

In our case they were acting as an agent for Thomas Cook so should we be OK?

Gobbledigook Thu 31-Jul-08 13:24:06

Next Thursday!
My stomach is like a washing machine.

bundle Thu 31-Jul-08 13:24:39

as it's so close I'm sure they'll treat yours as a priority case

deep breaths.....

Gobbledigook Thu 31-Jul-08 13:26:05

I hope so, I've looked forward to this holiday for so long and the kids are really excited.

lilolilmanchester Thu 31-Jul-08 13:41:15

how worrying for you, hope you hear something encouraging soon.
What time is your flight on Thursday? Might see you at the airport!!!

Gobbledigook Thu 31-Jul-08 13:44:27

We fly at 10am.

I have my tickets and everything! Surely they have to honour the booking?!

I am seriously stressed!

Gobbledigook Thu 31-Jul-08 13:47:45

What Happens if Your Travel Agent Ceases to Trade?

If you’ve made your booking through a travel agent, it’s important that you obtain and keep all the paperwork referred to above. This will show that you have a booking with the relevant holiday company.
You should contact the holiday company to make sure that the booking is in place. If it is, then your travel arrangements should continue unaffected.
In the unlikely event that your travel agent has failed to make your booking with a travel company you should contact your credit card company if you paid by credit card. If you didn’t pay by credit card, contact our claims enquiries office for advice and assistance. Contact: ABTA Claims, PO Box 127, Metro House, Northgate, Chichester PO18 8WQ, Tel: 01243 621 500.
ABTA may not be able to recover your money for you but we can assist in taking the matter up with the relevant authorities

Just found this - obviously we have our booking as we have tickets...

And I booked seats with Thomas Cook last week

I've sent dh out to the bank and to get onto credit card company so we can prove payment!

bundle Thu 31-Jul-08 15:40:54

any news gdg?

Gobbledigook Thu 31-Jul-08 15:44:19

No, nobody has called back yet. If they don't call by 4.30 I'm ringing them again!

I feel encouraged by things I've read though - it seems that as long as they made the booking with the tour operator then travel should go ahead as normal. We actually have our tickets in hand and they are Thomas Cook tickets in a TC folder with TC on each ticket.
Plus I booked specific seats jsut last week and surely if we weren't booked on the flight that would have come up when she allocated the seats?

bundle Thu 31-Jul-08 16:00:25

still got everything crossed for you, x

Fimbo Thu 31-Jul-08 16:08:26

Trip Advisor have forums GDG - maybe something on there, or you could ask?

Hope everything is ok for you.

Gobbledigook Thu 31-Jul-08 16:13:44

Thanks guys.

Nothing on trip advisor unfortunately.

Do you think it's reasonable to call back today or should I leave it till tomorrow?

bundle Thu 31-Jul-08 16:14:54

quick ring today say you need to know for definite tomorrow in case you need to make other arrangements

Fimbo Thu 31-Jul-08 16:18:54

On another website for that company they say ABTA will be dealing with claims and give the phone number 01243 621 500 - may be a long shot but worth a try?

Gobbledigook Thu 31-Jul-08 16:22:21

Our letter says

Your holiday/travel arrangements have been booked with the tour operator shown below and you will need to contact their credit control department to continue with your holiday.

So it sounds as though our flights are booked, which makes sense since we have received our tickets, and so we should be OK.

Will ring in a minute I think.

Gobbledigook Thu 31-Jul-08 16:23:14

Sorry I am being repetitive - that's stress!

LIZS Thu 31-Jul-08 16:23:23

Does that mean they have already paid for it too ?

Fimbo Thu 31-Jul-08 16:25:05

No wonder GDG, you don't want to let the dc down. I can imagine what that would be like.

I am sure you will be ok.

Gobbledigook Thu 31-Jul-08 16:45:23

LIZS - well that's what I'm assuming. Surely we would not have received tickets from Thomas Cook if there had been no payment made?

Gobbledigook Thu 31-Jul-08 17:08:16

I can't even get through on the number now - it's permanently engaged. Argh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now