Talk

Advanced search

Want to go to a Greek Island in late Sept...recommendations please?

(36 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Wed 30-Jul-08 16:52:48

DH and I want to go for a week to a Greek Island, with DD who will be 2.

Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap holiday location, somewhere were we can chill out, enjoy some local scenary, do a bit of sightseeing perhaps, but not much needed, more about relaxing. Needs to be child friendly but would prefer not large resort.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Wed 30-Jul-08 16:54:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LittleMissTickles Wed 30-Jul-08 16:56:43

Santorini, absolutely.

PavlovtheCat Wed 30-Jul-08 16:58:22

Oh I shall take a look right now....

BlingLovin Wed 30-Jul-08 17:02:24

Are you absolutely dead set on an island? if not, have you considered the mainland? You can fly to athens and drive or fly to a local airport, depending on where you go. But it's very reasonable as the tourist prices aren't as steep, avoids ferries (which with a 2 yo I'd be keen to get away from) and offers lots of flexibility.

The peloponnese are amazing and you can fly to Athens and drive or fly to Kalamata which is the capital city of the region. I believe some places in the North are nice too, but haven't been there and didn't research as closely.

www.holidaylettings.co.uk/index.htm is a great website for self catering options - we found a lovely cottage on here which was everything it promised in a lovely town, gorgeous beach, kiddie friendly etc etc etc.

But if you're absolutey keen on an island, here's a great website with pros and cons on most of them: www.greekisland.co.uk/

smurfgirl Wed 30-Jul-08 17:02:43

I have been looking at a holiday in Kefalonia recently, it looks lovely so maybe look there. Santorini looks fabby as well but is more expensive I think?

Olympic holidays are good value usually.

smurfgirl Wed 30-Jul-08 17:03:51

BlingLovin thanks for that really good website v.helpful!

PavlovtheCat Wed 30-Jul-08 17:08:26

Not desperate for an island, not been to Greece at all, just want somewhere quiet and we thought an island would be nice...I will check out the website.

Santorini does look great. I saw a great small resort, but not really child friendly sad!! And it does appear a bit more expensive.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Wed 30-Jul-08 17:10:21

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Wed 30-Jul-08 17:10:59

smurfgirl Wed 30-Jul-08 17:11:36

Another one I looked at recently was Samos? It looked pretty nice too but maybe somewhere bigger would be better for September because its the end of the season.

I had a nice holiday in Zante in 2006, it was not the most exciting island but the beach was amazing and we had a lovely lovely time - v.relaxing and Zante tends to be affordable.

PavlovtheCat Wed 30-Jul-08 17:15:53

The Sani website looks good...!

Smurfgirl - I am not too bothered about exciting, with a two year old, just getting up and dressed can provide entertainment enough...I am not up for planning big trips out, just something local will do me. I go to USA once a year to see family and that generally involves running around like headless chickens, I am quite happy to do less of that this time, relax with my little family.

I will check out Zante too!

brimfull Wed 30-Jul-08 17:17:23

we had a nice week in zante

stayed in a lovely villa that I would really recommend if you'd like me to find the link

fatzak Wed 30-Jul-08 17:17:25

How about Skiathos or Skorpelos?

BlingLovin Wed 30-Jul-08 17:19:42

If you want quiet, then I definitely reiterate my mainland suggestion. tends to be locals - Greeks from the cities - mostly, so not the mad tourist partying you see on some islands. But I imagine if you want a resort, then you'll probably do better on an island or in one of the bigger towns/cities if on the mainland - like Kalamata. I seem to recall Thomson had some pretty good offers for nice looking hotel resorts that were family friendly on some of the bigger islands.

I absolutely love greece. Have only been twice but DP has greek family and speaks the language so hopefully we'll go more often in the future. The food is amazing, everywhere is beautiful and it's just an amazing chilled out place. [except for drivers on mountain roads - they can be a little frightening!].

PavlovtheCat Wed 30-Jul-08 17:20:36

Wow the Sani Resort looks really good. And it is not too expensive.

Just need to find out much flights are! That might cost I think. But if I can get it for a reasonable price, this place looks great!

keep the suggestions coming though!

PavlovtheCat Wed 30-Jul-08 17:22:31

I will check out the mainland, as although it is not essential we have quiet, it is desirable. To be honest, night life wont bother us, as we are not going out clubbing grinwith our little one!

BlingLovin Wed 30-Jul-08 17:24:33

what? All the best two year olds are boozing it up this year, dontcha know?

Totally changing direction but a friend of mine is singing praises of package trips to Sardinia at the moment....

prettybird Wed 30-Jul-08 17:25:27

Skiathos would be good - fly into the island, so no long transfers. We went there the August ds was 11 months old - a Manos holiday, staying outside of Skiathos town - althugh there were plenty of buses and/or taxis into the main town. We really enjoyed it.

Put it this way: I already loved Greece, but dh didn't (not that he's ever been hmm) - but this converted him to Greece and we have been back many times (although not actually to Skiathos). I love the Ionian islands and Skiathos, although in the Aegean, is still very green and covered in pine trees.

We've gone to Meganissi for the last 4 years with Ionian Island Holidays: a great wee family run hotel which is "Greece like it used to be". Nothing to do but relax grin Maybe not as cheap as you are looking for - but they may be be doing deals!

PollyLogos Wed 30-Jul-08 17:32:04

Zante is great with small children - I frequently recommend it. Santorini is fab but I wouldn't particularly suggest it with a two year old.

Late September I would head south to Crete or Rhodes.

PavlovtheCat Wed 30-Jul-08 18:24:04

I found this place with Ionian Island Holidays as recommended by Prettybird...

in Corfu which looks quite nice!

prettybird Wed 30-Jul-08 18:28:48

The service from Ionian has always been excellent - thatr's why we've been back 4 times. (And that includes the first year when, on a 1 week holiday, we were delayed 30 hours getting there - Aestreus', the airline's fault - and they no longer use them)

Not been to Corfu with them - but it looks like one of quieter unspoilt bits of Corfu.

PollyLogos Wed 30-Jul-08 18:29:56

I think the beaches there are pebbly. Maybe that is ok ?

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Wed 30-Jul-08 19:29:32

PavlovtheCat Wed 30-Jul-08 21:02:16

So I am leaning towards the Ionian Island Holiday places, they are great, but a touch too expensive for a last minute get away.

The only places I have been able to find are resorts, and, I am trying to like them honestly, I am.

But, I just don't think I can do it sad.

So, we think we are going to do the holiday we want next year, and go to the lake district this year!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now