Talk

Advanced search

How much on average would you allow for spending money for 2 week self catering holiday in Spain

(12 Posts)
citylover Tue 29-Jul-08 12:28:24

... bearing in mind bad xchange rate between pound and euro.

This is for one adult and two kids.

WIll just be beach, pool and maybe a couple of self organised excursions.

hifi Wed 30-Jul-08 00:27:54

just got back, b and b. its quite noticable the exchange rate.we were in a 5* resort but were shocked by the prices in the supermarkets compared with 2 years ago.
have no idea what you can manage on but we spent over a third what we thought.
i would pack cereals and snacks. sandwiches for lunch then maybe a reasonable priced restaurant for dinner.

brimfull Wed 30-Jul-08 00:37:22

we had a week in greece
family of 4
ate out 4 times
bought some food and wine etc
we spent nearly £500

we were shocked at the prices

citylover Wed 30-Jul-08 11:32:40

Yes think I am going to try to cobble together 1000 for this holiday.

I am on quite a tight budget tho at the moment.

batters Wed 30-Jul-08 11:43:13

Agree with the other messages here. We have recently returned from Barcelona and it was EXPENSIVE. Though wine remained far cheaper than in this country.

I think you could do it for under £1000. I reckon we spent around £750 - 2 adults and 1 child. And we weren't really budgeting that much - ate lunch out every day, and also about 3 evening meals out. Plus we went on a fair number of excursions.

Hope you have a good holiday.

overthemill Wed 30-Jul-08 11:43:43

we always self cater abroad (greece/france). at half term we went to greece and it was more than last year.
what we do is take basics:
teabags
coffee (feel very naff admiting this btw) muesli.

washing up liquid/sponge etc/
cloths
wipes
teatowel
plastic stuff for picnicing(ikea cheap stuff)
sharp knife
small acrylic chopping board
corkscrew
roll of freezer bags
2 tupperwares
few pegs
sounds a lot but it all fits into odd corners of a bag
take snacks for travel/
and for first night:
bag pasta and jar pesto sauce
1 carton longlife milk
i carton juice

then on the holiday we have breakfst at 'home' whatever we have usually plus croissants usually
have picnic type lunch - salami, boiled eggs, can tuna and lots of salad (what ever is cheap)using 'home' as base to make it or get it on the way
buy cheap local brands of everything
in france we barbeque every night and go out for pudding like crepe/icecream cone while watching the world go by except 2 maybe when we eat out (but NEVER any pudding)
in greece we usually eat out (as cooking facilities are basic there) but very cheap stuff no puddings!
we always are on a tight budget - usually try to do £300 a week for everything

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 30-Jul-08 11:50:25

ooooo - good idea about going out for pud - will remember that one!
We've also decided that on days we want to eat out then in general we will do it at lunchtime when tis much cheaper.

PTA Wed 30-Jul-08 12:02:17

Try to find the supermarket that the locals use. We are just back from Costa Teguise and there were only "holiday" supermarkets aimed at holiday makers and with inflated prices to match!

When we go to Cala D'Or we can avoid these places and shop like the locals in a proper supermaket with a cheese counter, a fish counter etc.

Also, took inflatables from the Pound Shop and inflated them over there as the same ones were anything between 5 and 15euro.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 30-Jul-08 12:07:25

we normally allow £100 a day. But that is for 2 adults and 4 children and quite a lot of excursions. I think you could do it on half that.
We normally go to the big hypermarkets and do a big food shop and pack a picnic bag so we pack up lunches. We will eat out most evenings, but are packing a little cheapy bbq and marinates so that we can have bbqs some nights. Markets are also good for fruit and veg.
Chinese restaurants tend to be cheap in spain. If you go inland a bit to eat rather than on the coast the prices are far lower.

witchandchips Wed 30-Jul-08 12:10:01

It is a bit of a pain but worked out that if you only shop for one or two days at a time, there is much less waste.

My guess is that having tapas in bars in early evening would be a cheap way to do supper so long as you stear away from the places that the other english go.

Carnival Wed 30-Jul-08 12:17:31

CTD, we allow for £100 a day with 1 DD, too and that normally does cover everything with a little left over. We usually self cater, and go out for either dinner or lunch, normally ends up an 'in the middle' meal about 4pm. We have snacks and sandwiches for when she gets peckish.

Hope you have fun!

Ruthiebabes Wed 30-Jul-08 22:18:58

We have just had eleven nights in Majorca. We ate in some nights,and had breakfast in every morning. Prices are def going up, and the exchange rate is poor.

I suggest you have 100 euros a day for food, and extra for other bits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now