Talk

Advanced search

low key non touristy tenerife ideas? Is this possible?

(4 Posts)
elliott Sun 27-Jul-08 20:57:22

I'm planning a holiday to the canaries next feb and looking for accommodation ideas - preferably in a quiet location close to a sandy beach, walking possibilities and also close to restaurants/shops. not tacky or touristy, ideally a nice quiet village with a coastal location. Self catering fine as long as we are close to eating out possibilities. We have 2 boys 6 and 4 who mainly just like to be outdoors exploring!
Thanks for any ideas!

janeashersbookofspacecakes Mon 28-Jul-08 00:21:41

We spent a week each in the north and in the south. In the south we stayed near a coastal beach resort called El Medano. It's not a beautiful town, but has a good beach, restaurants and is known for windsurfing etc. We stayed inland from El Medano in a lovely town called Granadilla de Abona. If you want rural self catering , b and bs etc. use toprural.com.

The north is classier, but doesn't tend to have beaches. We stayed in a little place called Garachico in a 'boutique' hotel called La Quinta Roja here
There are other lovely boutique style hotels there too.
Puerto de la Cruz is a stylish holiday resort in the north with many hotels and lovely coast, but again no beaches that I know of.

elliott Mon 28-Jul-08 14:43:21

thanks for this. seems like its tacky and beach or stylish and no beach!

2HotCrossBunnies Thu 31-Jul-08 14:40:44

Just seen this thread as I'm looking for things on Lanzarote/Tenerife myself. I went to El Medano 7 ish years ago with DH (wasn't DH then!) as he's a mad windsurfer. We thought it was lovely, small town with a quiet beach and not too many English! It's very close to the airport too and not too far from Las Americas (20km). Actually I'm trying to find a nice villa there for a half term trip in Oct with our DCs (3 and 1).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now