Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Menorca, late sept - any recommendations?

(17 Posts)
forevared Wed 23-Jul-08 14:22:15

Really want to go to Menorca and have spent ages reading about different resorts but one brochure says a particular resort is popular and overcrowded while another might say it's quiet and peaceful. Needless to say, I'm now very confused and would really appreciate the opinions of people who have actually been there.
There'll be me, dh, 3 (going on 4) year old and an 18 month old. We'd like somewhere more on the quiet side but eat out quite a lot so some traditional (not English) restaurants nearby would be a plus (We do plan to hire a car but don't want to be driving every night for a meal!)
Any recommendations as to resorts and/or hotels would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

MeMySonAndI Wed 23-Jul-08 14:29:50

I would avoid the popular and overcrowded if you don't want to find yourself and children in the middle of a 24hrs a day hen night.

Although the island is small, quiet areas almost untouched by the tourists do exist. Have you checked www.holidaylettings.co.uk.

I would say that as a thumb rule, ressort = very little contact with the locals and their culture.

I have been to Ciutadella (staying at family home), it was really nice and authentic. Now, didn't even had a chance to see a swimming pole but the nearby calas where much better for the purpose than a pool.

MeMySonAndI Wed 23-Jul-08 14:30:50

pole??? somebody take me out and shoot me please... pool

gladders Thu 24-Jul-08 15:45:27

just back from insotel punta prima - lovely hotel with great kids pools (paadling pools!), kids club for over 2's, great location nr small beach and small row of restaurants (fresh seafood etc) - can also get small roadtrain along the coast to try other places...

Fimbo Thu 24-Jul-08 15:47:25

My recommendation would be Cala Galdana. Avoid Cala N'Forcat/Los Delphines unless you like the Blackpool thing going on (only in minature).

Fimbo Thu 24-Jul-08 15:49:18

Other recommendation would be Fornells although there is not much accomodation there if you plan to book privately try looking under Playa de Fornells - but you would need to hire a car. Car hire out there though is very cheap

Fimbo Thu 24-Jul-08 15:51:10

Fornells, Cala Galdana is on that site too

bigspender30 Fri 25-Jul-08 12:49:07

check the weather though for time of year. My friend was there start of october last year and it wasn't warm.

mum2ds1 Mon 28-Jul-08 09:52:30

hiya
were off to menorca on friday first time abroad with 5 year old son . we r going on travel agents recomendation because i didnt want anything too in your face aparantley its a lovley location with two gift shops a few bars and restraunts now thats all acording to the travel agent who went last year with her family. i will reveal the truth when we get back lol
we are going to arenal den castel menorca if you google menorca you can get a look at the areas and aparantley this one is more child friendly. but only time will tell.

willali Mon 28-Jul-08 12:32:55

Second the Insotel Punta Prima as above - we have stayed twice at the Prestige hotel which has small suites - separate bedroom and sofa beds in the living room for children, two bathrooms, quite luxurious feel. The Prestige has its own smallish infinity pool but you can use the whole complex facilities- but only Prestige guests can use the Prestige facilities IYSWIM, so you are guaranteed it will be a bit quieter. You should ask if the kids club staff speak English though - this is a resort for Spaniards and Germans on the whole and we found English Speakers few and far between, but we didn't go for the kids club so it didn't really matter. Food fabulous - really made the holiday - don't know what food like in the restaurant in the "ordinary" bit. The great thing about Menorca is that you can only drive for a hour anywhere so do hire a car and explore!

smoggie Mon 28-Jul-08 13:14:22

Cala Galdana definitely.
Fornells

forevared Thu 31-Jul-08 10:05:11

Thanks, Cala Galdana looks lovely. So does the Punta Prima.

Please keep the suggestions coming though. Everything helps!

sarahpea Thu 31-Jul-08 12:35:31

good luck tomorrow mum2ds1! will be eagerly awaiting your return and comments!!! 4 weeks till i go yipeee.......i hope!! {smile}

motheroftwoboys Thu 31-Jul-08 14:55:29

Had lovely holiday in villa (shared pool) in Playa de Fornells. this was when our DSs were about 12 and 13. We had a hire car for the two weeks as there are so many places to go but all so accessible. The town of Fornells was about a 25 minute walk and was lovely. Another place we loved was Binebecca which IS more touristy but had a lovely feel. A couple of the bigger resorts were a touch Blackpooly and to be avoided (if you don't want that sort of thing) grin

forevared Thu 07-Aug-08 13:52:48

Anyone else?

mum2ds1 Tue 19-Aug-08 10:56:49

arenal den castel is fab for kids its not in your face and only small but the beach is fab for them and as there is not to much there you dont get pester power . our fav place to go at night was a place at the end of the beach called goody goody it was gr8 for the kiddies ( 4 yo would love it)
we stayed hb so didnt eat out to much but when we did it was lovley . when we were there however most car hire places were fully booked!

jellybeans Tue 19-Aug-08 11:01:53

Santo Tomas is nice, very quiet, couple of shops/supermarkets, lots of hotel resturaunts and sea front cafes, amazing huge beach (loads of room even in peak season), car hire and easy access to neighbouring towns, great for small kids; mini golf, kids parks etc, some nice walks nearby. Cala Galdana is lovely but beach is smaller and much more crowded.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now