Talk

Advanced search

Need a holiday in Feb, with sun and kid clubs

(14 Posts)
FrazzledFairyFay Sat 19-Jul-08 20:18:04

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced, toddler-friendly, sunny holiday destination for February? The DCs will be 3.5 and 1.8. We will desperately need some 'time off' so would love a kids club. Thanks for your help

mosschops30 Sat 19-Jul-08 20:19:31

Canaries probably ur best bet. Lanzarote and Gran Canaria are very nice smile

LackaDAISYcal Sat 19-Jul-08 20:20:12

can I come? wink

<lurks in an interested fashion>

WendyWeber Sat 19-Jul-08 20:24:18

Agree re Canaries - just avoid the halfterm week (Mon 17-Fri 24 I think); sunds like this will be your last hol outside term-time tyranny (& prices grin)

(I was just looking at flights to Geneva that week & they were at least 3 times the price of the week before shock)

Blondilocks Sat 19-Jul-08 20:25:34

I was looking at Canaries for the week after next but have been put off by all the reviews I read sad

They do all seem to have kids clubs though & should still be nice & warm at that time of year.

themoon66 Sat 19-Jul-08 20:26:58

Egypt.. red sea.

WendyWeber Sat 19-Jul-08 20:27:10

Er, sorry, that should be Mon 16 - Fri 20 (oops)

FrazzledFairyFay Sat 19-Jul-08 20:32:58

I always get put off by the reviews of canaries and red sea, as well - does anyone have a specific hotel that they could recommend?

Blondilocks Sat 19-Jul-08 20:34:43

Yeah that'd be good. I never know whether only the annoyed people complain or whether it's a true representation!

But when you're talking £1000 + for a week for 2 people it's a big risk to take really. It's a shame as the areas look lovely - especially Maspalomas in Gran Canaria with the sand dunes, & the weather looks good too.

themoon66 Sat 19-Jul-08 20:56:12

Red sea recommendation - Hyatt Regency at Taba Heights. Use Longwoodholidays.co.uk. Been twice. Going again in 5 weeks grin

mosschops30 Sat 19-Jul-08 21:03:24

Costa Teguise in Lanzarote is a very nice area.
Agree with whoever suggested Maspalomas too, and Puerto Mogan in Gran Canaria are lovely. I also like Puerto Rico but only on the top of the hillside as the town is a bit nasty. At that time of year you shouldnt have too many rowdy groups of drunken assholes though

FrazzledFairyFay Sun 20-Jul-08 22:02:14

Thanks for all the suggestions smile

littledudesmummy Mon 21-Jul-08 14:44:04

I was always a snob about the Canaries but when circumstances, ie. a little person, prevented us from getting our usual winter sun in exotic places they were one of the few options. Having been, I am now ashamed at my previous image of the CI. Liked Fuerteventura when he was 1 but now that he likes to get out and about, seeing and doing, we found that Lanzarote had much more for littlies in that regard. We loved Playa Blanca in Lanzarote. Smallish harbour town ideal for families, our LO was 2 when we went. We rented a villa so can't recommend accomodation but there looked to be plenty of hotels/apartments/bungalows with kid's clubs, etc. Went first 2 weeks of January and weather was just right for us as I don't do scorching sun - low to mid 20's. Lots to see and do for kids but would recommend hiring a car rather than operator trips as you can go anywhere on a whim, including the best beaches at Papagayo, it's cheaper, and you're not beholden to other anyone else's timetable. Are returning next January we loved it that much.

Birdly Tue 22-Jul-08 18:29:48

We went to Lanzarote in February this year with our kids (3 and 4) and had a wonderful time.

We stayed at the Sun Tropical in Playa Blanca, and went all inclusive so we could take a break from the shopping, cooking etc. It was very relaxing - the place is owned by First Choice and totally geared up to parents with young children. They have toddler pools, kids' club, play area, kids' evening entertainment etc, and the dining room is very informal, so no worries over tantrums and dropped drinks!

The place was clean, the food was fine, we enjoyed it. The food was by no means haute cuisine, but there was lots of it and plenty of choice.

We'll probably go back in the near future (as soon as I can face taking DS on a plane again!) grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now