Talk

Advanced search

Monarch airlines - is it worth paying for seats together. We have 2 children in a party of 5 will they allow the children to sit with at least one adult or not?

(33 Posts)
cece Mon 14-Jul-08 12:55:27

That is it really. I have so far not pre paid for seats togther but have the option to do so.

Would they really let a 4 year old and 7 year old sit on their own - the first time they have flown? Us adults aren't bothered about being together, as long as each child has an adult with them iyswim.

So should I try and pay for a seats together now (flight in 2 weeks) or wait till we get to the airport and see what they offer us?

cece Mon 14-Jul-08 13:02:53

oh and it is a scheduled flight not a charter.

WeeBesom Mon 14-Jul-08 13:05:33

I would wait and see what they offer at the airport. Try to get there just beofre check in opens to get near the front of the queue. I would cause a fuss if they even suggested the children sat without an adult next to them!

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 14-Jul-08 13:10:14

Message withdrawn

cece Mon 14-Jul-08 13:11:42

Oh I like that idea. I am sure DS could be relied upo9n to climb on and jump off the trolley a lot while I was taalking. If I bribe him he may even take the trolley and push it into people's legs grin

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 14-Jul-08 13:12:26

Message withdrawn

Polgara2 Mon 14-Jul-08 13:13:55

Well I wouldn't bother. When we flew recently I didn't prebook any seats because of the price but when we came to book in she said oh you're seats have been pre-allocated already - same on the way back. Assumed it was because we had children with us?

Polgara2 Mon 14-Jul-08 13:14:30

oops your seats

cece Mon 14-Jul-08 13:45:48

Thanks that is sort of what I was hoping. They know we have 2 children with us from our booking form and they know their dates of birth. So I am hoping they would automatically not let the children sit alone!

You have reassured me as I was starting to go into panic mode about it and doubting my decision...

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 14-Jul-08 15:21:45

Message withdrawn

theexmrsfederer Mon 14-Jul-08 16:55:27

I think this pre-booking seats is a big con, especially if you have children with you.

Are they really going to force you to sit apart from them? I think not.

cece Mon 14-Jul-08 19:26:57

Yes I agree with you the exmrsfederer!

SueW Mon 14-Jul-08 19:48:19

Have a look for CAA guidelines. I posted it on here about a month ago.

Basically says children should be seated with a parent as in an emergency child/parent will seek each other out rather than get out. (Also someone has to put that mask on a child if pressure falls..... is some stranger going to do that?)

sykes Mon 14-Jul-08 19:51:36

An airline has separated me and my children on more than one occasion (one adult and two children ... aged four and six). However, I was told it would be revised on the airline as legally the children have to fly with an adult. In fact, I was virtually accused of arranging to sit on my own away from the chldren. Bizarre but has always all worked out in the end.

cece Mon 14-Jul-08 21:05:03

suew = where would I find that thread? might print it off and take it with me!

SueW Mon 14-Jul-08 21:22:15

www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=3&pagetype=90&pageid=1344

The above link takes you to the CAA Guidelines on Seating. Guidelines, not law. But still I think worth arguing about. (It worked for me with a large holiday company last year, let's say, although they did that 'The normal charge for altering your booking is £35 but on this occasion.....' pah!

Scroll down to Seating - family

Seating – family

CAA guidelines ask airlines to develop procedures for the seat allocation of family groups, particularly when a group includes children. It is probable that family group members would seek each other out should an emergency evacuation be required, an action that could adversely affect the rapid evacuation of the aircraft. Children should be seated where they can be adequately supervised by an accompanying adult in the event of turbulence or a decompression in the cabin.

Children, accompanied by adults, should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult.

In wide-bodied aircraft, children and accompanying adults should not be separated by more than one aisle. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults.

SueW Mon 14-Jul-08 21:25:55

FWIW real wink airlines like Virgin have policies like this:
www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/faq/preassignedseating.jsp

Q: What is considered a family?
A: CAA regulations mandate that carriers make every effort possible to seat families together. As in most instances we will not know whether or not you are checking a family in together, we treat any check in group as a family in trying to seat you together.

In the cases of children and or infants travelling, if we are unable to seat at least one adult member of the check in group with the child or infant, we will not be able to check you in online and instead you will be directed to check in at the airport as usual.

To ensure we comply with this CAA regulation, and for other operational reasons, we occasionally have to change your assigned seats at the airport. For this reason, seat numbers can never be guaranteed although we make every effort to honour your request.

cece Mon 14-Jul-08 23:13:07

Thanks for that. It has been several years since I flew and I have certainly never been on these cheaper airlines. All a bit of a mystery to me.

Now worried I won't be at the airport in time as not booked to get to the car park till 8.30 pm and then 20 min shuttle bus ride... Flight leaves at 11.45! Oh um may have to change my car park booking...

lilolilmanchester Mon 14-Jul-08 23:18:55

We always pre-book our seats for 2 reasons: we did get separated once ( DS was about 12 so not like he was a little one, but still..). Worse tho I was travelling with a friend and the flight had been overbooked. We almost got bumped off the flight, luckily someone hadn't turned up and we got on - but the 2 groups behind us didn't and had to take a later flight. So I'd rather pay the fare. To be honest, even with seat bookings and pre-paid luggage, i think we are paying less for our flights than we were a few years ago.

lilolilmanchester Mon 14-Jul-08 23:19:25

fee, not fare, sorry!

Jasper Tue 15-Jul-08 00:15:22

I would never pay extra for this UNLESS you get to actually chose your seats.

Some airlines now make you pay extra just to be assured you are together but not actually choosing your seats! This is a completer rip off and you should NOT pay extra for this.

They want unsupervised children on the plane even less that you do.

cece Tue 15-Jul-08 13:10:00

I think you can select your seats.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 15-Jul-08 13:17:20

We just returned from holiday, and flew both ways with Monarch- they were very good at ensuring all the families sat together- even to the extent of offering people the extended leg-room seats, and free drinks etc to move.

We had no problems, and there were no children sitting away from their families- as Jasper said- they don't want unsupervised children either!
Both flights had plenty of children on btw.

lilolilmanchester Tue 15-Jul-08 13:18:04

I pay now more to ensure we don't get bumped off the flight. With Monarch, you do select your seats (although have to pay even more to book those with extra leg room)

lulumama Tue 15-Jul-08 13:23:50

i have paid a bit extra to pre book seats on monarch flight this summer. not for extra leg room though. the seats we booked were marked on the seating plan with an 'i' , to show they were suitable for people travelling with infants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now