Advanced search

What's nice in Nice?

(8 Posts)
letuseatcake Wed 09-Jul-08 22:23:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

letuseatcake Thu 10-Jul-08 16:01:53

squeaver Thu 10-Jul-08 16:04:42

Haven't been to Nice for about 15 years but I'd say it's probably not too child-friendly, I'm afraid (although basing that on my carefree 20s!!).

Pebbly beach. Great restaurants, Beautiful church with stained glass windows by Chagall (iirc).

All that may have changed of course, so apologies in advance if it has

ChopsTheDuck Thu 10-Jul-08 16:16:54

Not too much in Nice, big park IIRC with some ruins at the top and a playground which is nice for the kids. The boats, and harbour, lovely for people watching. Eating out and that on the whole isn't as bad as we expected, actually quite reasonable and lovely food.

The great thing about Nice is that it is really easy to get trains to Cannes and Monaco. Cannes has an amazing garden type thing ont he side of a mountain which we loved. PLus there is the usual walks down the promenade, see the handprints etc.

Monaco has the palace, a car collection, lovely little cobbled streets with great restaurants.

I think a bit further out there is a zoo too, but you would probably need a car for that.

ChopsTheDuck Thu 10-Jul-08 16:18:21

In Nice you can also get a bus right out to a natural park which is nice for woodland walks and more ruins.

letuseatcake Thu 10-Jul-08 16:34:06

ChopsTheDuck Thu 10-Jul-08 17:10:40

thisis where I stayed last year. It is very basic, very cheap. I'd recommend it if you are looking for no frills accomodation. It is rather old fashioned in decor, but facilities were fine, and the staff were lovely. The location was really good, bus stop just outside, and train station was about 15 mins walk, on the way past plenty of shops where could pick up some breakfast. Buses all over the area are really cheap and excellent services. You can get daily passes for about 4 euros irrc. I wouldn't recommend driving.

Bink Thu 10-Jul-08 17:22:16

Oh if you're thinking of just using Nice as a convenient hub, go on to Menton - just beyond Monaco. It's sweet, much quieter and prettier than Nice/Monaco, and so very close to the Italian border that it gets the Sunday-afternoon-Italian-family-trip-out trade - consequence being gelato places throughout competing to give you THE MOST FABULOUS ice-cream in the world. It's got a perfectly adequate, right-by-the-strip, beach. And that ice-cream.

I'd have a look at Tripadvisor for accommodation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now