Talk

Advanced search

OK, I know some of you have been to Lefkas

(19 Posts)
StellaDallas Mon 07-Jul-08 10:59:38

We are going for two weeks in August. What do I need to know? Good places to eat, what to pack, everything really. We have never taken the children (aged 11, 8, 6) to anywhere remotely sunny before as we usually spend our holidays doing cultural things in cities or visiting rellies.
So totally clueless really. Will it be very hot?

bigpigonadig Mon 07-Jul-08 15:42:40

Probably will be very,very hot. Which resort are you staying in?

janinlondon Mon 07-Jul-08 15:55:20

We've been three times - to different places each time. Where will you be based?

abouteve Mon 07-Jul-08 15:58:15

I went for a week a few years ago in June. It was very hot. Also swarming with mosquitoes and I got bitten badly. I'm not sure which resort it was but I think it was the main one.

stopthelights Mon 07-Jul-08 15:59:50

Lefkas is gorgeous - you'll love it. The main resort, Nidri, is nothing special but Lefkada is a nice place for a coffee and to people watch and Porto Katsiki is one of the most fabulous beaches I have ever seen. Also Vasiliki is worth a visit, resort known for windsurfing. Have travelled round the island by moped many times. Sigh, wish I was there now envy

FluffyMummy123 Mon 07-Jul-08 16:04:35

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Mon 07-Jul-08 16:06:43

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Mon 07-Jul-08 16:09:31

Message withdrawn

StellaDallas Mon 07-Jul-08 16:24:46

We are staying in Mikros Gialos for a week and then going on flotilla for a week. I can't wait.

stopthelights Mon 07-Jul-08 16:31:56

You used to be able to take a boat trip
round Skorpios, Onassis' private island. That's worth doing. If you've hired a car you could take a drive up to the resort of Parga on the mainland - v. pretty but quite busy in August. Are you going to visit any of the other Ionian islands?

StellaDallas Mon 07-Jul-08 16:36:27

On the flotilla bit we will be visiting some of the other islands, don't know which as I think they more or less make up the route as we go along.

Apollinare Tue 15-Jul-08 20:28:57

If you are on a beginners flotilla you will probably be going to Little Vathi and Spartahori on Meganisi, down to Fiskado on Kephalonia, possibly Vassiliki or Sivota and Ithaca if you are lucky. Other places, cant remember. We have done the flotilla and club a few times in this area, and I would happily go again... now would be very good! Our children look back on the flotillas as halycon days.

we always ran out of mosquito cream and sun hats which blew overboard. Waterproof suncream - definitely. Swimming TShirts.Once you have the sun and mossie thing sorted, thats about it really. We have kept in touch with friends we met on flotilla for many years afterwards.
If you go into Spartahori, walk up to the town to the viewing terrace where there is the most wonderful view over the Ionian to Skorpios, Lefkas and to the mainland.Perfect.

StellaDallas Tue 15-Jul-08 21:38:48

Thanks for the info. Who did you do the flotilla with - was it Sailing Holidays? I really hope we go to Ithaca - DD2 is a history nut and has read a children's version of the Odyssey. Also apparently the Battle of Actium took place off Lefkas, and she has been reading about Antony and Cleopatra so is quite excited about that.
Will get lots of mossie stuff and many sun hats and rash vests.

Apollinare Wed 16-Jul-08 17:58:56

We went with Sunsail, but Sailing Holidays were everywhere we went. Sailing holidays do go into Kastos, which Sunsail don't, and is wonderful.We went there independantly.
One Sunday moring we were in Kioni harbour on Ithaka and could hear a Chopin piano concerto. A house overlooked the boats, about 20 yards away, and had a first floor balcony with two sets of french windows opening onto it and the music was coming from there. The scene was totally idyllic and I have had an obsession with french windows (and Ithaka) ever since!

katch Wed 16-Jul-08 21:31:09

We're going on the Paxos route flotilla for 2 weeks on Saturday! Also with Sailing Holidays. We wanted to do a week ashore but booked too late. Went 4 years ago on the Southern Ionian route, which I think is the one you're doing, with Nielson - absolutely gorgeous. The maximum voyage was 4 hours, which I found tedious and too long for our then 3 year old, but the keen sailors loved it. It was really sociable and memorable - the places you visit are so pretty and sometimes only accessible by boat - so very tranquil. I found your post while looking for sartorial/packing advice - can't remember if I wore skirts in the evenings or not. Also, do I take loads of changes of clothes, bearing in mind there's no washing machine, or just go scruffy? Can Apollinare advise here?

StellaDallas Wed 16-Jul-08 21:40:34

Have a great time, Katch. I have been thinking over the clothes thing - at present I own one swimming costume and no shorts whatsoever. I am planning to take a couple of dresses and a skirt for evenings and then bite the bullet and go and buy some shorts. What did you wear on flotilla? I was thinking, I will need to keep my shoulders covered for quite a bit of the day - I have UV suits for the children but am not sure what to wear myself. Up to now, sailing for me has always meant fleeces and oilskins.
Am still pondering the bikini dilemma too - is size 14 too big to get away with one?

katch Wed 16-Jul-08 22:13:03

Thanks, SD. Hope you have a super time too.I don't think size 14 is too big for a bikini - although I haven't worn one since I had baby no 2, weighing in at 11lb 12oz. Not a pretty sight! I've got a costume and two tankinis. I was all set to take mainly skirts for evenings, but the brochure said they could be hazardous when climbing aboard. I'm sure I managed last time though. Shorts and t-shirts or costume should be fine in the day; the boats have canopies for shade don't they? I found loads of shorts at Next in Cribbs Causeway the other day. And I want to get a kaftan/long shirt type thing but haven't found one I like yet. Still, there's one more shopping day to go yet.

Apollinare Wed 16-Jul-08 23:35:51

Def bikinis and shorts for sailing in - only family to see. In the evening - very casual, skirts, cool dresses and flat/flipflops. But I am not a winner on the best dressed lists. I can't sail in the med without sunglasses, glare off the water. Oh yes, just remembered, CDs, boats usually have a player - Van Morrison at full volume, flying up the Meganisi straits in the late afternoon breeze. Have found the clubs to be much dressier, needed heels there.
Really wish I could do the bandana thing, but then I can't speak French either.
Hope you have a wonderful time.

hascas Thu 17-Jul-08 16:42:41

Hi SD. Just wanted to add that no, size 14 is NOT too big for a bikini . I'm only a size 8/10 but my belly looks like an unmade bed and I still wear one and did in fact wear one in Biarritz with post-natal size 14 tummy too . Just go for it. Don't even think about it. And have a wonderful time .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now