Talk

Advanced search

Dublin

(10 Posts)
rmc77 Thu 15-May-08 19:51:41

Planning to go to a wedding in Dublin near Trinity College in August with 16 month old DD. Can anyone tell me if it would be possible for us to get from Dublin Airport to this area of Dublin on public transport or should we hire a car with a car seat? Also anyone know of any good (but cheap!!) hotels?

rmc77 Fri 16-May-08 10:11:24

bump

potoftea Fri 16-May-08 10:14:49

Not sure about the airport bus, and how handy it would be for you, but on hotels, well, we stayed in Jury's Inn, Christchurch last year, and found it good value. It is within walking distance of Trinity College and Grafton Street, {just a few minutes walk}.
It was room only,there is a restaurant there for breakfast, but there is also a shop right next to it if you wanted to keep cost down and buy rolls or juices instead to have in your room, as the baby won't want a full irish breakfast I guess.

laughalot Fri 16-May-08 13:19:57

Iv been to dublin a few times the airport bus will take you near to trinity college. Try the ormand quay hotel or the arlington

rmc77 Fri 16-May-08 16:55:54

tnank you potoftea and laughalot! That's a good help!

RosaLuxembourg Fri 16-May-08 16:57:58

I also recommend Jury's Inn Christchurch, we have stayed there twice with the children. Bus into Dublin is fine.

Lilymaid Fri 16-May-08 17:15:15

How to get to the city from the airport

Marykate Wed 09-Jul-08 22:36:53

Hi, sorry, only saw this now.
You can go from Dublin airport to the city centre by regular Dublin Bus. The 16 A goes very often, however it stops everywhere.

Then there is the more direct Airport bus(Eirbus) which is also managed by Dublin Bus but you pay more, about E8 or 9 I think.
Their competitor is the privately-owned Aircoach which goes through the city centre. Again the price per passenger would be about E9.

For hotels, I would heartily recommend Jurys Hote in a good location in Ballsbridge, slightly to the south of the city centre. Beside lots of public transport, bars, cafes etc (if you have time go for lunch in Roly's Ballsbridge, amazing and excellent value. You need to book well in advance) Beautiful hotel, good restaurant attached, can take 2 kids in room on a bed-sofa too. Room Rates are reasonable for Dublin, about E 120 per room and are the same all year round. This is a very popular hotel so if you decide to go for it I'd advise booking early. Hth

Marykate Wed 09-Jul-08 22:40:25

Also, meant to say, don't bother hiring a car. Traffic is an absolute nightmare, few hotels have parking and parking in the city costs an absolute fortune. If you are planning to be only in the city centre it would be better to travel on public transport and/or take the occasional taxi.

Mumfun Mon 14-Jul-08 07:10:56

Would recommend also The Bewleys Hotel in Ballsbridge. Got a rec last year on Mumsnet for it stayed there last year and going again soon which is a rec. Lovely character hotel with nice staff and just a good reasonably priced place to stay. Has offer for 99 euro per night at present - we have a 4 person room for that not including breakfast. Last year the breakfast was very cheap for kids. The food overall is good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now