Talk

Advanced search

holiday village red sea (sharm el sheikh)?

(16 Posts)
glitterball Fri 15-Feb-08 19:43:49

has anyone been? have read lots of reviews - some excellent some downright scary....am slightly nervous as have never taken both children abroad before and never on a package holiday, so any opinions on the hotel - and resort in general welcome!

we are looking to go mid april during the easter hols (which actually arent anywhere near easter this year!!)

discoverlife Fri 15-Feb-08 19:47:04

We went to the Lamaya at Marsa Alam, much further south than Sharm el Shiek, and had the most wonderful time ever. But it is not for the person who wants to be able to pop out for a half hour shopping, there is just not anything around. If you want a totally relaxed holiday, with some nice excursions, plenty of food and drink, nice company, then the lamaya could well suit you.

Artichokes Fri 15-Feb-08 19:50:34

I have been to Sharm, but not that resort.

I went for the SCUBA diving which is amazing. I also imagine it is a great place for a poolside, hotel based holiday. However, Sharm itself is not that interesting a town. It is just a strip of hotels and tourist shops.

There are interesting exeursions you can do: Mount Sinai, St Catherine's Monestary and some stunning desert walks. If your kids are old enough to do those (all involve walking in the heat) or to dive or snorkel, then you will have a great time.

DiscoDizzy Fri 15-Feb-08 19:58:00

We have friends who've been to Coral Sea which was good so we've booked to go there, but not Red Sea i'm afraid.

redadmiral Fri 15-Feb-08 19:58:27

I have a real soft spot for Sharm. Have had lovely diving holidays there. It's just desert around - all the animal and plant life is under the sea.

It's been about 9 years since I went, but found the locals very friendly. There's not much to do except dive or snorkle, go round the local bazaars or eat and drink, but it's very relaxing.

(When I went with females only the men on the beach could be a bit starey, but no real hassle, unlike say Cairo, from what I've heard.)

bluesky Fri 15-Feb-08 20:52:40

went to sharm, hyatt regency, twice, loved it, 2 boys both under 10. Easy holiday.

Pimmpom Mon 18-Feb-08 15:00:58

Have been to Coral sea resort (H.V. a couple of hotels along, i think) and really enjoyed it.

Have read on 'Holiday Truths' website that the Holiday Village is absolutely fantastic for children!

Enjoy smile

TheGoddessBlossom Tue 05-Aug-08 19:13:04

Glitterball how did you get on? We are going in November.....am reading Trip Advisor daily and scaring myself witless...

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old son...

Did you get sick?

ash6605 Tue 16-Sep-08 14:20:46

just bumping this as I would like to book this place for next year!

boocha Tue 16-Sep-08 22:15:58

Yes!!
Ive been to holiday village red sea. We went for two weeks at the end of august and absolutely loved it.
We also had a wobble after reading on trip advisor some bad reviews but can honestly say that yes you will probably have some kind of dicky tummy while you are there but it isnt the holiday village its just Egypt. It was 40 degrees plus the whole two weeks and obviously you really need to drink alot of fluids to compensate!!!
Rooms are massive (ours was a select one) staff are brilliant, very helpful could not believe how friendly egyptian people are. Loads for children to do, kids clubs great, ours did swim kids and stage coach.
Food was good but it was our first time all inclusive and we found it repetitive eating in the restaraunt every night so went into naama bay a couple of nights,(hard rock cafe,tgi fridays etc)
Would definately go back to holiday village(still depressed upon returning!!) but not in August.
If you have any questions I am willing to help if I can.

boocha Tue 16-Sep-08 22:20:45

btw if you do get sick the chemists will give you tablets called antinal and they are like a miracle cure for diare diorea diahre the shits. 50p a box!

ash6605 Mon 22-Sep-08 14:40:52

Oh thanks boocha thats more reassuring than the Trip Advisor reports! I have been to the Holiday Village Majorca so know what to expect from Kids clubs,Swim kids,Soccer school e.t.c (all fab btw!) I just fancied trying a different country having been to Majorca 4 years in a row!

justaboutlikeshomebrew Mon 22-Sep-08 14:42:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

boocha Mon 22-Sep-08 21:39:49

ash6605
We normally go to majorca and fancied a change, have to say really fell in love with Egypt. The holiday village is right on the beach but the sand isnt great (very coarse) you need beach shoes. There are big 4 poster beds on the beach to relax on in the shade,bliss!

TheGoddessBlossom Tue 23-Sep-08 14:09:55

oh thank bloody god for that. Am really looking forward to going. grin

boocha Tue 23-Sep-08 19:29:43

TGB
I think that november is one of the best months to go 25-30 degrees.envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now