Talk

Advanced search

Can you take a car seat on Easyjet without going over your 20kg limit?

(12 Posts)
EmilyBronte Wed 30-Jan-08 13:37:35

Does anyone know? DH seems to think you can, I'm wary as I know how these cheapy airlines change the rules literally as you're checking in and worry we'll be clobbered. But it would make travelling with our 4 month old a darn sight easier if we can!

sunnylabsmum Wed 30-Jan-08 13:45:44

we took a car seat with Ryanair to Cork a few years ago, but as DD was 2 we had her baggage allowance to play with. We resented having to pay extorionate charges for car hire child seats!! Nowadays the cheaper airlines like to charge you for every piece of baggage so you could end up paying a charge. Hope others can help.

WendyWeber Wed 30-Jan-08 13:51:09

"Pushchairs, prams and travel cots do not form part of the baggage allowance and therefore no fee will be charged"

This should apply to car seats too, shouldn't it?

chicaguapa Wed 30-Jan-08 14:00:03

You will be fine. We fly with Easyjet all the time and regularly take 2 car seats in addition to our luggage allowance.

NicMac Wed 30-Jan-08 19:12:20

Yes, no problem. Just checked in three and not even a surly stare from check in assistant! EasyJet are great with families.

FAQ Wed 30-Jan-08 19:13:54

but not very cheap LOL.......can you believe it would have cost me in the region of £247 to fly from Luton to Edinburgh with my 3 DC! (and back again)

WendyWeber Wed 30-Jan-08 21:11:04

5 of us are flying Liverpool-Geneva in April, with 2 bags between us, for £260; booked 2 weeks ago and already the same trip is up to £420.

You have to get in early with easyjet - then it is cheap grin

wellieboot Wed 30-Jan-08 21:29:56

Yes - we flew with them last year with full luggage allowance each (dh and I) each plus travel cot, car seat and big buggy, and were fine - you are treated so well with little ones - very different experience to pre-dd easyjet trips!

EmilyBronte Sat 02-Feb-08 20:26:46

Brill, thank you everyone! Am basing my Easyjet experiences on pre-kids so hopefully I'll revise my opinions!

angie99 Sun 29-May-11 22:07:49

The easyjet website says:

When travelling with an infant or young child you may take a maximum of 2 of the following items (per infant/child) with you free of charge:

Pushchair
Baby buggy
Travel-cot
Car seat

This is in addition to your normal hold luggage; please also note this counts only for items supporting mobility and travel, and not for items used at home. The items can be taken right up to the aircraft, where they will be taken by cabin crew and stored in the hold. We do not deliver buggies at aircraft side on arrival. They will normally be delivered with baggage on the baggage carousel.
You can however check it in with your baggage at check-in, if you wish to do so. Full size, non-collapsible prams cannot be accepted for travel.

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60/~/can-i-take-my-buggy-%2F-travel-cot-into-the-cabin-with-me%3F

MrsFruitcake Mon 30-May-11 18:03:15

We travelled Easyjet with DS and DD last year - you can also take a car seat on if the child will sit in it in his/her own plane seat, which worked for us as DS is a proper wriggler on planes and will never sit still. It has to be a five point harness and have a rigid plastic or metal frame. They strapped it into his seat for us and then he got strapped into that.

Peetle Tue 31-May-11 10:16:06

We've just spent two weeks in Spain with our 3 year old twin girls, flying Easyjet, and solved our car seat problem with two of these:

http://easycarseat.com/

Nothing to do with Easyjet of course... They blow up and deflate quickly enough to be taken out of the hire car and stuffed into the luggage before you check in, they don't take up as much space as a "real" car seat, or cost you any extra baggage fees (or car seat hire charges). I recommend them.

Personally I'd avoid Easyjet/Ryanair, etc, if I could, but if you want to fly direct in Europe there's not much option these days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: