Talk

Advanced search

SHARM EL SHEIKH

(17 Posts)
ELMTREE Wed 03-Oct-07 07:55:39

We are off the Sharm el Sheikh in november with our DD who was 2 in April. Im a little out of my comfort zone as I normally do spain, greece, cyprus, ibiza etc. Im sure everything will be ok but im a little worried incase me or my dd pick up anything over there. Also i often get anxious in new places. I just got back from a lovely weekend in Nice with dh and had a whale of a time but out of no where we were walking down a street doing some window shopping and I got very panicky. I didnt mention it to dh as he would have gone mental as Ive had bad panic attacks before which have ruined holidays, especially our honeymoon.

sKerryMum Wed 03-Oct-07 08:00:24

I don't even know where this is?

Notyummy Wed 03-Oct-07 08:02:37

Its Egypt. Red sea coast. Sorry, I haven't been, but frinds of mine took their 8 month old ds at Easter and had a fab time. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon.

BecauseImWereWolfit Wed 03-Oct-07 08:05:49

Sorry - but if you don't mention your panic attacks to your dh it will put more pressure on you - and could lead to more!

Why can't you share this with him? It's not just about spoiling his holiday it's about you - isn't he there to support you?!

Sorry to jump on you - I've had panic attacks and I know how horrible they are. And you deserve to have someone who can help you through them not 'go mental' with you.

Can't help about the resort but it sounds lovely!

(Sorry to jump on you - didn't mean to be horrible although I realise it probably sounds like it)

Pod1 Wed 03-Oct-07 08:59:48

My husband and I spent two wonderful weeks in Sharm el Sheikh on our honeymoon and would recommend it to anyone. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. As long as you're careful about what you eat and always use bottled water for brushing teeth etc you'll be fine. Your daughter will absolutely love the gorgeous fish swimming round her ankles as she paddles in the sea. We took snorkels and used them in the shallows - it was magical! I'm so jealous! My husband suffers from panic attacks every now and again so I understand how anxious you must be feeling. My advice would be to gather as much info as you can about where you'll be staying (travel guides etc). Hopefully then you'll start to get excited about your holiday and be able to enjoy it. You'll have a fab time!

Sunshinecursedmummy Wed 03-Oct-07 09:02:21

We took DS when he was 9 weeks old and had a fantastic time. Agree be careful re. water but apart from that it is a lovely place and the people absolutely love children.

bluesky Wed 03-Oct-07 10:57:08

Elmtree it is great, we have been twice. The weather will be lovely. The Egyptians are very kind, their service in the hotels is fantastic.

The sea is warm with AMAZING fish, your DD will think it's like 'Finding Nemo' all around her feet.

The airport is new and clean. (top tip: have some loo roll in your hand luggage for when you are hanging around on your way back!)

I think you are panicking about panicking aren't you? Is there anything you can read before you go that could help, or find out about "breathing". Our even a hypnosis session. They are supposed to be very good.

The first time we went to Sharm, we left the hotel resort twice, once to explore Sharm and the second to go on a glass bottomed boat trip. But the second year, we just chilled at the hotel, with pool, sea, it was all we needed.

Prepare yourself with medicines for tummy upsets, so if you do catch something you are organised. Sometimes people get an upset tummmy from the change of climate and change of food and by not drinking plenty of fluids. It's not always the food.

So drink lots, keep in the shade at lunchtime. Don't ever have ice. Have fruit, if you can peel it. Avoid salads, unless you give it a quick wash with your water! Brush teeth with bottled water. Wash hands lots.

As I said we've been to Sharm twice and Cairo once, I have two boys, and we've been fine.

MascaraOHara Wed 03-Oct-07 10:58:30

I've not long been and it was lovely.. go for it!

ELMTREE Wed 03-Oct-07 12:31:29

where did you guys all stay?

ELMTREE Wed 03-Oct-07 20:23:01

bump

bluesky Wed 03-Oct-07 21:18:44

We stayed at the Hyatt, just on the edge of Sharm. Gorgeous!!

chocolateshoes Wed 03-Oct-07 21:20:42

What do you think the weather would be like at Christams there? Would it be swimmable?

Pod1 Thu 04-Oct-07 08:57:01

We stayed at the Conrad. It was stunning! We arrived on Boxing Day and were there for New Year. The staff spent five days preparing the dining room for the party! Weather beautiful. We sunbathed and swam in the sea every day. Was like being in a warm bath! grin

SSSandy2 Thu 04-Oct-07 09:13:19

We had a lovely time. I'd go again. Dd is older than yours but I think you'll be fine. The staff are lovely with dc.

LG Thu 04-Oct-07 18:09:26

hi, a quick message to all sharm el sheikhers. Did you get immunisations to go there? If so what did you get?

ELMTREE Thu 04-Oct-07 21:37:03

You need, tetanus, thyphoid, hep a, polio and one other that i cant think of.

bluesky Fri 05-Oct-07 19:18:44

yes, we had our jabs as below.

sea warm at Christmas, but friend went in February and the sea was cold, they had to go in the sauna every evening to warm up (they went for serious diving).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now