Talk

Advanced search

Paris for children - Any advice?

(11 Posts)
Jess3 Fri 28-Sep-07 20:34:03

We're a family with 3 kids (DD1 is 5, DS is 3, DD2 is 1) and planning to spend new year in Paris. Any advice re: accomodation? We were leaning towards Novotel as it has a children's soft play area, but we're not sure.

Bink Fri 28-Sep-07 20:44:26

If you look on Tripadvisor, you'll see that the overwhelming recommendation for families with very small children is to stay in an apart-hotel - like Citadines - have a look at the "top 10 for families" list - pretty much all that sort of thing.

Is Novotel apartments, or is it just rooms like a normal hotel?

The guides to Disneyland Paris (lots of them) often have a section on visiting Paris itself, with relevant suggestions for families.

(This is all the fruit of my researches for our half-term trip in three weeks' time.)

roisin Fri 28-Sep-07 20:49:46

There's a great guide called "Take the Kids, Paris", with loads of interesting/helpful tips.

I think it was a Novotel we stayed in at the Gare de Lyon a couple of years back, and it was a bit grim tbh. The pool was too cold for the children, the room was tiny ... not impressed really. Though the breakfast was great, and the boys enjoyed popping down to see the TGV trains in the station at every opportunity!

codswallop Fri 28-Sep-07 20:50:19

i have it
i went last year wiht ds there are some threads on ehre about it
go to a citadines a[artment place

roisin Fri 28-Sep-07 20:56:24

you have what Cod?

codswallop Fri 28-Sep-07 20:56:43

the book

lovecamping Fri 28-Sep-07 20:58:16

if you want to go clothes shopping for kids, there is a street called "Rue de Commence" in the 15e which is great. they have all the brands - Petite Batteau, Jardin, Cattimi etc. A reasonable and fashionable shop is "DPAM". Great basics and lovely outfits. there is also a lovely toy shop and a park outside the station with sandpit and climbing frame. get DH to take the kids to the park whilst you shop!!

Printemp's is also very good and Galleries Lafayette's toy dept is fantastic - similar to hamleys.

happy shopping!!!

also remember they are still a smoking country so bars will typically be very smokey

codswallop Fri 28-Sep-07 20:59:03

maybe she atually watns to see paris?

Anna8888 Fri 28-Sep-07 21:02:39

I hate chain hotels and in Paris they are truly gruesome.

I love Hôtel de Verneuil in the 7th and its sister hotel near Palais Royal.

Otherwise try to stay near the Jardin du Luxembourg which is wonderful for children (fantastic playground).

Anna8888 Fri 28-Sep-07 21:05:11

Clothes shopping for children - rue du Bac (expensive but gorgeous, go to Bonton on rue de Grenelle), Bonpoint flagship store in rue de Tournon (go there just to drool at the shop), Le Bon Marché in the basement, also for food at their food market La Grande Epicerie.

Lots and lots of children's clothes in my street, rue de Courcelles. Which is right by Parc Monceau, also good for children to run around.

Jess3 Fri 28-Sep-07 22:41:58

That's completely brilliant!!! Thank you all for the advice. I feel so much more informed. Loved loved Paris when I was child-free and can't wait to show them the delights! Definitely looking into Apart-hotel option and ordering the bookss right now! Have good weekends. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now