Talk

Advanced search

bringing an inflatable kayak or paddleboard to europe

(12 Posts)
PopGoesTheWeaz Thu 10-Oct-19 10:44:43

Can anyone recommend one small enough to bring on a flight? We're heading to somewhere with a lake and would love to be able to kayak or paddleboard but nowhere local to hire them. Flying a mixture of EasyJet and BA

BarbaraofSeville Sat 12-Oct-19 09:24:43

Don't know anything about kayaks and paddleboards, but just checking that you are aware that you can book quite large sporting equipment on flights.

On Easyjet kayaks etc can weigh up to 32 kg, and it doesn't mention any size limits - plus they can take a vaulting pole up to 450 cm long

www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/sports-equipment

I assume that BA is similar - I think the weight restriction is for the baggage handlers anyway.

TheFlis12345 Sat 12-Oct-19 09:28:52

BA have much lower limits on sporting items than EasyJet (they don’t fly surfboards any more) so just check with them before you order.

BarbaraofSeville Sat 12-Oct-19 09:32:22

Oh that's a shame, and a surprise. BA don't fly anywhere useful for us, but we went on a group mountain biking holiday and there were people who'd flown on BA on one of the London airports who'd got so much free luggage allowance they could bring their bikes, helmets, clothes and everything else they needed without having to pay extra for a mountain bike as sporting goods, like we had on Ryanair.

VeniVidiVoxi Mon 14-Oct-19 15:16:30

It depends on what quality you're after. A cheap kayak is more possible than a cheap paddle board, like £50 versus £300. I'm prepared to be corrected but I don't think you can get a decent paddle board for less than that because of the rigidity, whereas you can be a cheap and cheerful kayak. You're probably looking at 15kg - 20kg either way if you can fit that in/get sports allowance.

Poppys Sun 20-Oct-19 08:27:37

We’ve taken our inflatable paddle board on several holidays to Europe included as usual luggage on the flight, rather than as sports equipment. All inflatable paddle boards pack down into their own bag (dimensions should be shown on the website you buy from) and we’ve never had any trouble with this. You could even put it in a case.

My DH and kids have had many hours of fun on the board on holidays & I’ve lost count of how many times people have asked to buy / borrow it from us.

PauvreRelation Sun 20-Oct-19 08:34:56

Decathlon SUPs fold up small into backpacks. RED boards are better but more expensive. I suppose it depends how good you are. I am rubbish so the decathlon one is fine for me.

I haven't been all that impressed with inflatable kayaks and would not be able to recommend one. They are pricy and you lose a lot in performance

lljkk Sun 20-Oct-19 08:41:28

I can't pack my kayak down, to be honest, to fit back in the original box. Maybe possible with a vacuum packer or something. The amount of labour required would do my head in. I'd be too likely to puncture it when trying to pack it down so small.
But if I had it new in box it would be easy to get on an airplane. Just couldn't bring it back, but they are cheap, so not a worry. About 15kg each single kayak box.

BillywilliamV Sun 20-Oct-19 08:43:17

If you’re taking tuff to Europe, Make sure you have the right paperwork..all the signs on the motorway are very adamant!

BillywilliamV Sun 20-Oct-19 08:44:02

Stuff.

Honestly.. IPhone and fat fingers!

PopGoesTheWeaz Sun 27-Oct-19 21:01:30

All moot now as we ended up finding a place to hire that delivered but wondering @BillywilliamV what paperwork you need for kayaks/SUPs --

But also, thanks for the recs as will probably get something for the camper for next summer.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 29-Oct-19 18:20:20

The signs on the motorway were there for Brexit on Thursday and have now been turned off.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »