Talk

Advanced search

Would you book to go to Turkey?

(26 Posts)
JimmyPanda Wed 09-Oct-19 21:56:52

Looking for a luxurious honeymoon but on a tight budget (around 3k for both of us for a week all inclusive) for next year and have seen an amazing new TUI hotel within budget with fab reviews, but I'm put off with it being in Turkey. Especially since what has been happening today!

Any thoughts? I don't know if I'm being irrational as the tourist area is very very far away from where the volatile situation is happening.

Kinraddie Thu 10-Oct-19 11:15:36

No, I wouldn't sorry.

HowlsMovingBungalow Thu 10-Oct-19 11:16:58

Nope! I think the situation will get worse over the next few weeks.

AthollPlace Thu 10-Oct-19 11:18:06

No, not considering its currently a war zone.

TooTrueToBeGood Thu 10-Oct-19 11:22:56

I wouldn't do so purely out of principle. From a safety perspective though, most of the turkish resorts are a long, long way away from the combat zone. There is always the possibility of terrorist attacks I guess but given that the Kurds are desperate for international support I would think that extremely unlikely.

blue25 Thu 10-Oct-19 11:26:00

No, definitely not at the moment

notangelinajolie Thu 10-Oct-19 11:26:40

No.

Bucatini Thu 10-Oct-19 11:33:05

We went in the summer and had a fab time. Obviously things have changed since then, but probably not impacting tourists yet, but who knows what will happen next.

JimmyPanda Thu 10-Oct-19 12:18:48

We won't be going until this time next year so I'm loathed to book it and then the situation get worse. Thanks everyone!

Daddylonglegs1965 Thu 10-Oct-19 16:03:47

I was always wary of Turkey even before this so definitely wouldn’t go now.

Hecateh Thu 10-Oct-19 16:13:34

The Turkish resorts are about 2000 miles from the border with Syria so there isn't really an issue as far as that goes. I have been going to Turkey since 1995 and love it there.

If the situation did become dangerous and travel was inadvisable then you would get your money back via your insurance.

I would definitely go for it. In fact I have just booked a cheap holiday there for next May

user1494670108 Thu 10-Oct-19 16:19:26

We have two trips booked there next year. Obvs we'll be watching current events carefully but our experience so far has been of lovely resorts with kind pleasant people. We have felt very welcome and safe (near Fethiye-Kaş)

TooTrueToBeGood Thu 10-Oct-19 20:00:54

What are people actually concerned about? Turkey has a massive military - 2nd largest in NATO. There is no chance whatsoever of the Kurds counter attacking and bringing the war inside Turkey, far less to the resorts. The only thing I think matters is whether you want to contribute to the economy of a country that has just launched what will almost certainly be a genocidal massacre. Your personal safety is not the issue, just your moral conscience.

Ratcatcher9 Thu 10-Oct-19 20:31:54

I think the concern is whether the Kurds will start 'protests' which will be designed to hurt Turkey financially, and that will mean attempting to destroy their tourism. And what is the best way to destroy tourism? Attack a tourist or two. Sorry to say. Not sure I'd be happy. Even in a pretty harbour town somewhere between Fethiye and Kas.

CremeEggThief Thu 10-Oct-19 20:33:40

No, because I wouldn't want to support the Turkish economy in any way for the disgusting way they are treating the Kurds.angry

JimmyPanda Thu 10-Oct-19 23:19:59

The hotel we are looking at is near Fethiye. The whole moral thing is bothering me too rather than just our safety (as I know it's very unlikely anything would happen). We can't find anywhere as good as this place for our budget!

tillytoodles1 Thu 10-Oct-19 23:27:52

I've been three times and I have family who've gone to live there. I feel very safe when I visit, there are a lot of tourists and hopefully I'll be going next year.

dreichsky Fri 11-Oct-19 01:42:30

No but mostly because I would feel rubbish putting money into the Turkish governments' pocket at present.

dreamingofsun Sat 12-Oct-19 09:50:18

being at the airport would worry me as much as being in the resort. we cancelled a holiday before when there were issues on the beaches. i knew it would probably be fine, but my husband was getting stressed. Holidays shouldnt be stressful. Just the fact you are asking suggests potential stress to me.

Mentounasc Sat 12-Oct-19 10:43:18

What too true says - no safety concerns (in what respect is it going to be more dangerous than the UK these days?) but any number of ethical objections.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 17-Oct-19 13:11:55

My husband is Kurdish. We have a house in Bodrum.
We will be going next year. There is no reason to think the resorts will be affected in any way at all.

My husband's family are near the Syrian border, we won't be going the there.

BlastEndedSkrewt Thu 17-Oct-19 13:14:05

no but only because i've been to Turkey before & it wasn't a very good holiday

ListeningQuietly Thu 17-Oct-19 13:15:59

No safety issues
ABSOLUTE ethical issues
therefore I will never go back until Erdogan is gone
and they bring in proper environmental protections

drivingtofrance Sat 19-Oct-19 22:23:26

No.
Its never been on my list of places to holiday and is even less so now.
I wouldn't want to spend my money there.

PestoCaffeinisto Sat 19-Oct-19 22:28:37

No

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »