Talk

Advanced search

Super last-minute (holiday dilemma!)

(14 Posts)
BirdsInTheAttic Fri 04-Oct-19 23:14:11

We are debating whether to book for October half term (yep, the one in three weeks!) For background, we did have a week AI booked in Lanzarote but it’s fallen through as the flights were with Thomas Cook (we’ve had a full refund, luckily)
The place we were going isn’t really an option now as the prices have leapt up, so we are wondering whether we should give up on the idea of the holiday completely for the time being. I can see the sense in totally postponing until, say, Easter, but then another part of me just wants to go away now! Also there are disappointed children in the mix.
Budget is up to about £2,500, two adults and two small children, for something all-inclusive. Ideally fly from the South west, shorthaul (but not keen on Turkey, hence Canaries being ideal) We need to go over half term but have a bit of leeway at either end.
Any words of wisdom - is it possible or should I accept that this holiday is not happening?!

LilyPinkNoah Fri 04-Oct-19 23:21:46

Cyprus?

Echobelly Fri 04-Oct-19 23:29:07

Lanzarote - had a lovely very last minute holiday there at Xmas, but not all-inclusive. Arrecife (the capital) is mostly not so nice and Puerto del Carmen is downright horrid, but most of the island is lovely. I imagine all-inclusive resorts might be in more built up bits though.

Weather is fairly steady all year round - it wasn't boiling at Xmas but was pleasant, so should be quite warm now.

pjmask Fri 04-Oct-19 23:33:46

Costa Blanca much cheaper than canaries and still lovely and warm late October

BirdsInTheAttic Fri 04-Oct-19 23:36:50

Thanks for replies!
@pjmask - I hadn’t considered mainland Spain, have you found it’s still warm enough to sit by the pool etc?

pjmask Fri 04-Oct-19 23:38:55

@BirdsInTheAttic yes in my experience it has been early twenties and lovely and sunny in Benidorm. The long range forecast will probably show you almost to your dates

pjmask Fri 04-Oct-19 23:40:28

It's very good value, less than half the price of a week in the summer

BirdsInTheAttic Fri 04-Oct-19 23:44:45

Will have a proper look! I think we’ve partly held off re-booking because the thought of spending the full budget (or more!) on something less good than the holiday we originally planned seemed so counter-intuitive, iyswim.
Any specific places you’d recommend/not recommend?

Wandastartup Fri 04-Oct-19 23:46:44

Except that’s not half term round here!

pjmask Sat 05-Oct-19 00:03:55

It's half term in Cornwall, although of course could be different in other areas. The only thing I would say is there are loads of all inclusive places around Benidorm so don't go straight to the first one that comes up. Avoid 2-star places, go at least 3.

Be prepared for reviews saying food is awful - we've always found stuff that we have wanted to eat out of a huge range, and the nature of AI means some people will always complain about the food. The places where trip advisor reviews complain about entertainment/ staff being too geared thwarts Spanish speaking guests tend to be less chavvy (for want of a better word, I know it sounds judgy but you get my point)

The "magic" resorts are very geared towards English guests, lots of child friendly food and entertainment. For a quieter experience Albir Garden Resort has a lovely water park and a mix of English/ European guests

BirdsInTheAttic Sat 05-Oct-19 09:13:10

Thanks @pjmask, will take a look smile

Noneyerbuisness11234 Sat 05-Oct-19 10:33:59

Malaga area like torremolinos or belamadena it's still early 20s around that time

reluctantbrit Sat 05-Oct-19 19:38:10

What exactly do you mean with “war enough to sit by the pool”? Mainland Spain will most likely not be swimsuit weather and pools may not be heated,

We went to Lanzarote last year and that was def warm enough for swimsuit in the direct sun but it could be windy and we had one day of torrential downpour. It we all came back with a tan.

Does it has to be pool weather or would be a city break a nice alternative?

RockingMyFiftiesNot Sun 06-Oct-19 12:34:44

I'd suggest you check what flights are still available from where you want it fly from as a starting point. We're going away at half term, booked a month ago and our destination was determined by flights. And that was before TC went under. Not trying to put a downer on your trip but just saying it may be more time efficient to look at flight availability first.

If swimming pool is important to you, check that they are still open in October.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »