Talk

Advanced search

Athens to a Greek Island - any advice?

(15 Posts)
fortyfourfeasts Fri 04-Oct-19 19:50:32

We are thinking of a holiday to Greece next August. I'd like to do a couple of days in Athens and then travel (fly/ferry) to an island. Thought we could do a couple of busy days doing the main sites in Athens and then, somehow, get to one of the islands for a nice chilled week. I have this romantic notion of staying in a quiet villa and wandering down to the local taverna to watch the sunset! DS is quite into history at the moment (he's 13) but don't think he'd want somewhere too sleepy! Any recommends/advice would be most welcome!

MadeForThis Fri 04-Oct-19 21:16:51

Sounds amazing. When we were students many moons ago, we stayed in IOS. Now that's a party island so wouldn't recommend that. But we traveled to Athens by ferry stopping at Naxos and Paros. They are both quiet islands. Not sure if the history though.

Santorini would be a short flight.

fortyfourfeasts Fri 04-Oct-19 21:51:36

Thanks! I'll have a look at those Islands. I've been investigating Santorini but the accommodation seems so expensive!

Moondust001 Fri 04-Oct-19 22:04:47

Aegina. You don't have to bother doing two centres. Day trips by ferry take you directly into Athens. Other ferry routes take you to other islands and the mainland without too much trouble. It's perfectly placed. Stay not too far from, or in Aegina town. If you go, don't even thin k about missing out on the walk up into the hills to the Convent monastery of Chrysoleontissa. It's a slice of heaven that virtually nobody visits, but the several nuns there will make you so welcome you won't ever want to leave.

Wauden Fri 04-Oct-19 22:16:20

Sifnos island was nice, went there from Athens.

fortyfourfeasts Sat 05-Oct-19 00:33:02

Thank you. Great suggestions!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 07-Oct-19 13:24:51

Andros is lovely, we stayed in Batsi, which is a lovely resort with a really Greek feel.

LittlefairyMum Mon 07-Oct-19 13:32:03

I wouldn't stay in Athens. You can see it in a day/ two.

It's full of graffiti ( which I hate ) the government should be ashamed of themselves. The city is disgusting looking. Such a shame.

FatArse123 Tue 08-Oct-19 14:16:59

Serifos is nice, not overdeveloped but has good facilities and decent ferry times to Athens.

I don't think two days in Athens is too much personally, yes it's scruffy but I think it has an interesting character.

countdowntonap Wed 09-Oct-19 20:52:49

You can get a ferry to Syros (capital of the Cyclades) and Tinos easily enough. We stayed here this summer vegaapartments.gr/en/ which would partly match your desire to ‘quiet villa and wandering down to the local taverna to watch the sunset!’. Taxi into town is €5

Thirza38 Wed 09-Oct-19 20:57:53

I had a wonderful time in Athens !Its a beautiful city and there is a salt lake just outside which you can get to on the tourist bus

TheQueef Wed 09-Oct-19 21:01:55

Skopelos?

Cooloncraze Wed 09-Oct-19 21:02:22

Sifnos is amazing. We flew to Athens and took a ferry there. Was brilliant. We stayed in Apollonia and got the bus or a taxi to beaches in the day. Apollonia is really lively at night - in a good way- lots of families and people out eating on rooftop restaurants, is it was ideal to stay there.

jocktamsonsbairn Wed 09-Oct-19 21:31:43

Skiathos is beautiful and there's enough for your DS to do without being too busy/full on. But you can choose anywhere as there are flights and ferries everywhere! You could go on to Crete, Corfu, Kos, or Rhodes etc and get a direct flight back from your final island at the end of your holiday.
I would suss out what your priorities are - sandy beach? More history? Other teens for DS to hang out with? Water park? Etc etc etc then whittle it fine to islands/resorts that fit.

SuziGeo Wed 09-Oct-19 21:44:55

I did that this summer. Couple of days in Athens (it was enough with the heat) then took boat to Milos and Folegandros. Would recommend Milos. We stayed in a great Airbnb there. The island had some touristy places, but also some quieter, remote places and nice beaches. Folegandros was smaller and quieter, but didn't like it so much. Was quite windswept. The boats book up quickly so be sure to book well in advance for summer season. The athens port is easily accessible but quite far from the city centre. We stayed at a hotel next to the port the night before our boat because it was leaving early. Its easy to hire cars on the islands, we didn't prebook, just did it when we arrived. The cars are quite old and damaged but are fine given the quality of some of the roads. There is public transport but better to have your own if you want to explore properly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »