Talk

Advanced search

Prague in February

(10 Posts)
SJane48S Fri 04-Oct-19 19:52:58

We’ve been in Feb years ago. It was freezing cold (but very beautiful!) and our teenage DDs weren’t overwhelmed with the attractive thermals we’d got them! I think I mentioned the ghost walk on your other post - we did it at night and it was great! The restaurants in the main square are more expensive but a great place at night to have a meal under an outside heater and blanket and people watch. I found the Jewish cemetery interesting but then I like Jewish history which might not interest everyone! We did a boat trip along the river which was parky (so wrap up!) but scenic. I love Prague. The stag and hens are a pain in the proverbial and the city should try and do something about them like Dublin has.

MadisonAvenue Fri 04-Oct-19 17:25:22

The castle is lovely, as is the cathedral within the grounds.

It might not sound like a fun way to spend a couple of hours but we both found the Museum of Communism very interesting.

Evennow Fri 04-Oct-19 17:05:19

Climb up the old town hall tower

www.prague.eu/en/object/places/3126/old-town-hall-tower

If open, eat in the rooftop restaurant at the U Prince Hotel (opposite the old town hall tower). There are heaters (we went in December).

The castle is well worth seeing.

Do a DIY walking tour - plenty of places to stop off and warm up;

www.bigboytravel.com/czechrepublic/prague/free-walking-tour/

Orangecake123 Fri 04-Oct-19 16:55:34

I was there last saturday. I didn't think it was more expensive then normal eating out. We went to Hard rock cafe for lunch. A burger was 420kc = £15 with fries included, drinks separate but we don't drink. They have starbucks which would be around normal UK prices. If you want to buy your own food they have supermarkets too like Albert and there's also a Bila in terminal 1 past the toilets and subway.

They do "free" 3 hour walking tours in the main square if you arrive at a set time. Check to find out timings. We had a really good guide Ryan who was brilliant. At the end you can choose how much to pay them which would be much cheaper than the usual going rate.

They will charge you if you take photos with the snake/ giant bear/ gorilla/ whatever.

I've seen this posted in about another city - so I was careful, but they have three sweet stores like Captain Candy. Each 1kg is 800kc = £28.5. So each 100g is around £2.85. It would be very easy to over fill the bags then be left with a large amount to pay!

The Charles Bridge worth walking across. The Castle is nice.

Feb will be COLD!

HappyPunky Fri 04-Oct-19 16:52:04

The black light theatre is an interesting experience. It's quite cheap from what I remember.

Thesuzle Fri 04-Oct-19 16:46:36

Prepare to be very cold.
And be aware of the beggars on the Charles bridge, who sit motionless with their foreheads ruching the pavement, i was quite shocked.
Couldn’t spend money for trying in the restaurants round the square but that was 20 years ago. Make sure you stop and see the famous clock

MadisonAvenue Fri 04-Oct-19 16:43:26

It depends where you go. If you go to the restaurants around the Old Town Square then they can be expensive because it’s a big tourist draw in that area. We stayed near Petrin Hill and the hotel receptionist recommended a good place to eat and drink between there and the Charles Bridge which I believe was one of a chain around the city called Kolkovna and that was really good value.
The Mala Strana area has a number of small and cheaper places to eat too.

Bluewavescrashing Fri 04-Oct-19 16:24:25

Thank you! Are drinks and food expensive?

MadisonAvenue Fri 04-Oct-19 16:17:46

We were advised to avoid staying over the weekend due to hen and stag parties. As it was, we saw and heard them arriving as we were leaving the city on the Friday afternoon. This may not be such a problem in February though.

Look for the Honest Guide videos on YouTube, they’re presented by a guy called Janek Rubes and are very informative and helpful. Not just with places to go but general information for getting around, how to avoid being ripped off etc.

Wrap up warm!
We were there at the end of March and it was bitterly cold at times.

Bluewavescrashing Fri 04-Oct-19 15:36:05

DH and I are giving each other a city break for Christmas. Early February, 3 nights staying at Botanique hotel. It's central and near a metro stop. We've never been before and I'm very excited! Bargain too! Any tips welcome!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »