Talk

Advanced search

Flights in September, anyone got experience?

(9 Posts)
catalystc Tue 01-Oct-19 16:51:45

I want to book to return from holiday in the first week of September but the easyJet flights aren't out yet so would just have to book one way for now.

We are on a tight budget so don't want to get stung with a high cost flight as the reason we are going later is because the accommodation is cheaper.

Are they usually cheaper than last week of August or the same??? Please any advice would be great!

catalystc Tue 01-Oct-19 22:06:47

Bump

BarbaraofSeville Thu 03-Oct-19 09:49:36

Does it have to be Easyjet? Do you really need to book this early?

Both Ryanair and Jet2 are on sale for September 2020 and beyond so you could look at their prices, but it's not a given that their prices will behave in the same way as Easyjet.

We holiday in September most years and generally book 1-2 months in advance, not the best part of a year.

Prices are probably usually slightly cheaper than August, but that's really a 'there is no right answer' question because it depends on how full the flight is and all sorts of other stuff.

BertieBotts Thu 03-Oct-19 09:53:15

IME you do need to be booking at least 6 months in advance if you want the super cheap fares except with Ryanair. So it doesn't seem too early to me.

Yes flights in term time tend to be drastically cheaper than during school holidays. So check school holiday dates for next year. Also flying midweek will be cheaper than Fri - Mon.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 03-Oct-19 10:03:44

We never book 6 months in advance and usually pay less than £100 each for a return flight.

We went to Malaga in May for £60 and Lanzarote in December a couple of years ago for £30 both booked maybe 6 weeks in advance. I'm not sure you'd get it much cheaper than that and the odd £10/20 variation in the flight cost is fairly trivial in the overall cost of a holiday.

Looking at Manchester to Mallorca as a snapshot, the Ryanair prices for September 2020 look similar to what we usually pay and the Jet2 prices look quite expensive for the same route. But right now might be a bad time to book if you don't have to due to prices rising because of Thomas Cook panic, when by next year, some of the lost flights could have been taken over by other operators.

catalystc Thu 03-Oct-19 10:06:31

Ah thank you. Yes has to be easyJet as they are the only ones who fly there. The flights are already £30 more each since they came out on the outward bound flight. We would be returning on the 6th September so I'm not sure whether it would be the most expensive time like the 30th August or whether it will have dropped drastically.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 03-Oct-19 10:13:56

Part of where we choose to go depends on flight prices. If the flights to a particular location look expensive, we go somewhere else.

I have a list of places as long as my arm that I'm happy to go to, so would accept that if I had to go somewhere particular at a set time, it is likely to cost more. It's a case of price, location, date, pick 2.

Probably not helpful to you, but one of our cheapest flights was on Easyjet, booked 6 days in advance. We'd identified a short window when we could go away before work etc took over and we managed to get flights to Mallorca for about £120 each and a decent hotel deal for a few nights, so we got a reasonably priced short break.

You're supposed to be able to track variations in flight prices on Google flights, but I've never used it.

SJane48S Thu 03-Oct-19 19:13:12

While I’m sure different counties will have different dates, in Kent our children will be going back on the 1st of September next year so I think it’s fair to assume you will be looking at cheaper flights by the 6th. We l always book on flight release day - it’s not always cheaper but it’s never ever been more expensive in my experience.

catalystc Thu 03-Oct-19 19:26:10

Thank you that's useful. We chose the destination because flights were cheap but then realised price of accommodation reduces dramatically on 1st September so want to use that as part of the second week. Our schools go back on 7th as they have a couple of inset days

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »