Talk

Advanced search

Girona/Costa Brava..where to stay? Recommend a resort please...

(18 Posts)
Thank Wed 25-Sep-19 19:25:46

Hi, we are flying into Girona on Oct 29th for 1 week. Not sure as which resort to head to... Tossa de Mar, Lloret de Mar, Platja d’ Aro...
Also not sure about weather, maybe 21* but pools will be cold Iam thinking so maybe a hotel rather than private let?
Would appreciate any help as is, going around in circles with my research!

Thank Wed 25-Sep-19 19:26:41

We are 2 adults and 2 girls, aged 10&12!

StripyTShirt Wed 25-Sep-19 19:31:44

I stayed in the Condado Apartaments in Lloret, it's a lovely self catering hotel. It was immaculate and close to local bars, shops and a 10 min walk to the beach.

bobstersmum Wed 25-Sep-19 19:36:56

Have stayed at lloret and playa and both are lovely but was there in October once and the weather was absolutely terrible, cold and wet, we were really unprepared for it and spent a fortune on warmer clothes while there!

Ricekrispie22 Wed 25-Sep-19 19:37:29

Hotel Garbi has a heated outdoor pool www.hotelgarbi.com/en/home
It has an outside play area with swings, a ping-pong table and an indoor playroom (Family room).

buttermilkwaffles Wed 25-Sep-19 23:10:31

21c may be the average high for October, bit that's over the whole month, you are going end of October into November, so unless you get lucky it's more likely to be highs of under 20c and obviously much cooler than that in the mornings and evenings.

Thank Thu 26-Sep-19 09:05:16

Thanks for your replies. I got cheap flights so hence the booking! smile
Both those hotels have no availability for my dates but I'll look at their locations and have a look nearby. Preferably with a heated pool!
Now I might have to rethink it cause it prob be colder than iam hoping for so maybe I could change it up a city break between girona and Barcelona??,

buttermilkwaffles Thu 26-Sep-19 10:32:35

Maybe some hotels will be closed due to end of season?

You can check weather from previous years here: www.timeanddate.com/weather/*@3121456*/historic?month=10&year=2018

Girona is a beautiful city and makes a great city break, would also recommend Besalu, less than an hour by direct bus from Girona (so also works as a day trip).

buttermilkwaffles Thu 26-Sep-19 10:35:23

Hmm link, doesn't seem to work but Google search Girona weather October 2018 and click on the first result for the page on the timeanddate site, from that page you can also then select any other year/month too.

Jumbojem Thu 03-Oct-19 22:42:04

Hello, are you still looking? My parents live on the French/Spanish border and I've been over a few times for October half term. Weather usually low 20s. Sunny days felt warm and never have much rain, we even swam in the sea as it takes a while to cool. Girona itself is a beautiful city and well worth a trip.

Griefmonster Thu 03-Oct-19 22:47:10

Rosa is much prettier than lloret but as PP has said, not sure how seasonal accomodation is. Agree Girona is a lovely place for a base and you could just do day trips from there.

Griefmonster Thu 03-Oct-19 22:50:34

That should be Tossa

Thank Thu 03-Oct-19 23:47:22

Thanks guys, yes iam still looking! So I'd better get deciding.....

bookwormsforever Wed 09-Oct-19 18:30:02

Begur is gorgeous - lots of beaches, coastal walks, pretty town with restaurants. I recommend Casa Diana (villa).

mirage937 Thu 10-Oct-19 12:17:34

I like Blanes but never been October time to know what the weather is like

Thank Thu 10-Oct-19 17:33:07

Thanks guys. Still not decided! Thinking things will be v quiet!

rrg1 Fri 11-Oct-19 10:03:33

Heated pools tend to be few and far between on the Costa Brava, as the season is short. However, we use the pool until the end of the month and the sea temperatures are warmer in October than in May, currently 20'C. Air temperatures at the end of the month are in the low 20's, yesterday the high was 26' and low 17'c. Obvs will drop later on.

If you are expecting the same vibe as during the summer, you will be disappointed, as many tourist attractions close. i.e. no sunbed rentals, water sports etc. on the beach or water parks, go karts etc. However, there is still lots to see and do in this beautiful region.
The central Costa Brava is the coast you see on the advertising posters, with turquoise water and cove beaches. If that is what you are looking for, take a look around Begur, Calella de Palafrugell etc.

It will be quiet, but not only is it half-term for UK schools, the French have a two week break for Toussaint, and 1st November is a public holiday for Catalonia, so many Catalans will take a long weekend away. This area has many second-home owners, from the Barcelona region.

I recommend you rent a car, so you can explore and you will find at this time of year, the price for a weeks rental from the airport will likely be cheaper than you pay for a transfer to a resort.

Besalu has already been recommended and Girona is great for a day, especially if you are a Game of Thrones fan. Fans of Dali visit the Theatre Museum in Figueres, his house in Port Lligat near Cadaques and also Gala's house in Pubol.
The region is dotted with medieval towns and villages, the most popular tend to be Pals and Peratallada. My favourite is Sant Marti D'Empuries, a tiny village, just a short walk from the Greco-Roman ruins at Empuries, excavated just behind beautiful bays with nice beaches. Nearby L'Escala has a recently renovated old port area in the old town...Just a few ideas!
Oh, and you can get to Barcelona from Girona, for a day trip by train in 38 minutes on the AVE (like TGV) service...

rrg1 Fri 11-Oct-19 10:30:31

BTW for more 'better' advice, check out tripadvisors Catalonia forum, it is one of the most active on the platform

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »