Talk

Advanced search

Dordogne - 1 week or 2?

(10 Posts)
sadpigeon Tue 24-Sep-19 20:02:37

I would like to book a holiday for August 2020 in the Dordogne. DC will be 6 and 8 when we go. Planning on staying in a gite with a pool.
Has anyone who has been before advise one whether it is worth booking 2 weeks or if 1 week is long enough to see most of the attractions? Or other option would be gite for 1 week + hotel near by for a few days to get 10-11 days total in the region.
We will be driving down from Kent planning on breaking the journey with overnight stay somewhere.

HerculesMulligan Tue 24-Sep-19 21:18:52

We always do two weeks (with a 5yo travelling from SW London). It takes me a week to properly decompress.

rookiemere Wed 25-Sep-19 07:48:03

There's absolutely loads to see and do. I love Sarlat.

TheresWaldo Wed 25-Sep-19 08:58:28

2 weeks definitely - there is loads to do. One of dd's favourite ever holidays. Have a look at Le Banquet lebanquet.com/ We stayed there on a MN recommendation. Lovely place.

sadpigeon Wed 25-Sep-19 09:21:05

Thanks for all the replies I will go for 2 weeks smile

drivingtofrance Wed 25-Sep-19 15:09:46

Two weeks for sure.

There is so much to see and do along the river and surrounding villages and towns.

It's a long enough drive to warrant the two week stay. I always enjoy fitting in a one night stop over en route too (especially as we drive down from Yorkshire, so it's a good few hours just getting to Dover/Folkestone to start with). It's a nice way to explore another town for an afternoon and evening.

samlovesdilys Sun 29-Sep-19 09:14:28

We have stayed several times around Les Bugues, it is on the vezere, a tributary of the dordogne river, very canoeable!! Lots of lovely gites, can get to Sarlat easily and lots to do!!

JennyWren Sun 29-Sep-19 10:04:42

We aren’t so far east in the UK to start with, but we always drive to Portsmouth and do the overnight ferry to Caen - it is then only an easy day’s drive south once we’re in France. The Dordogne region is fabulous and definitely worth two weeks, but maybe think about splitting your time over two places. If you think about what places would appeal to you and your DC, you could then pick bites that would give you shorter car journeys to reach them so you spend less of your holiday in the car.

JennyWren Sun 29-Sep-19 10:05:35

Bites, not bites... sorry!

wink1970 Tue 01-Oct-19 21:37:14

We had some fab advice on here about Sarlat, but just popping in to say the villa I eventually booked (via home away) was a con. If anyone wants info in order to avoid it please pm, I still have the details and it’s sadly still up on the site despite Amex and the local tourist board getting involved

Sarlat itself though = amazing, def worth 2 weeks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »