Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used the Nightjet night trains with kids?

(12 Posts)
TheHammaconda Sun 22-Sep-19 15:51:26

We're booked to travel from Cologne to Salzburg on the Nightjet just before Xmas. Has anyone used the night trains before?

TheHammaconda Tue 24-Sep-19 19:49:15

I'm a little concerned about the bunk beds - are there any bed guards on the top bunks?

ALadyofLetters Tue 24-Sep-19 19:53:35

We’ve been on a few night trains. We put the dc on the bottom bunks as there were no bed guards.

Notabadger Tue 24-Sep-19 20:09:15

Have you looked at this website? Has useful photos https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/nightjet.htm

Notabadger Tue 24-Sep-19 20:10:54

When I traveled on a (different) night train I slept on same lower bunk as my 3 year old but depends on how old your kids are.

TheHammaconda Wed 25-Sep-19 11:36:02

Thanks everyone. The seat61 guide doesn't show any bed guards. I guess we'll have to wait until we get on the train. Kids are 7 and 9, sleep in bunks at home. There must be something to stop people falling out, what if the train has to stop suddenly?

Janek Wed 25-Sep-19 19:20:07

There are no guards as such, ime, but each top bunk is supported by a kind of seatbelt, i'm not sure about the middle/bottom bunk, but we always put the children in the lower bunks.

Janek Wed 25-Sep-19 19:20:52

I wasn't very clear - the seatbelt comes straight down from the ceiling and would stop you falling out.

Janek Wed 25-Sep-19 19:24:28

Actually, you can see the 'seatbelt' in the picture on the left, and the couchettes seem to have guards after all.

TheHammaconda Tue 01-Oct-19 18:37:59

Thanks @Janek. I hadn't noticed those straps on the photo. I think they'd just about manage to stop the 6yo falling out.

Janek Tue 01-Oct-19 19:21:24

I don't think they'd physically stop you, because they don't go the whole way down the bed, but they would be enough to remind you not to fall out, if it's something you don't make a habit of. Also, make sure you put the pillow at the end that means the wall is where it would be at home - my dd fell out of the 'wrong' side of bed for years, if ever she slept in a bed with no wall where she expected one to snuggle up to!

TheHammaconda Tue 01-Oct-19 20:06:47

That's a good point - thanks.

I think that strap, along with a rolled up towel or something under the sheet should be enough to stop her from rolling out. I might take an old pashmina or something and some safety pins to make a more solid barrier if I'm nervous.

Thanks Janek

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »