Talk

Advanced search

Helsinki for the day...

(16 Posts)
surlycurly Wed 18-Sep-19 21:09:22

So for whatever reason I shall be in Helsinki for the day. What should I do/ see? Thanks in advance...

midsomermurderess Wed 18-Sep-19 23:42:21

It is a great city for modern architecture (early 20th c onwards) so, if that interests you, and in no particular order, Alvar Aalto's house, Temppeliaukio Rock Church, Central Railway Station, Finlandia Hall, Kamppi Chapel. The trams are great and I seem to remember that line 14 passes through a lot of the architectural sights. The Cathedral of Helsinki and the Senate Square are impressive too, as are the many Art Deco-ish apartment buildings all over the place.. The market at the end of Esplanadi Bld is ok, not that interesting.

surlycurly Thu 19-Sep-19 06:59:30

Wow thank you that's great! Now if I can get a recommendation for a museum and and some lunch then I should be all set!

midsomermurderess Thu 19-Sep-19 08:31:26

I'd recommend the Design Museum which also has a cafe. It's the Design District and pretty central. Stockmann Department Store also has some cafes and restaurants and is good for a browse.

DontFeedTheCatCake Thu 19-Sep-19 08:36:55

We went out to Suomenlinna Island by ferry. If you are going in winter, even better, as the boat makes its way through the frozen sea!

surlycurly Thu 19-Sep-19 20:00:15

I'm so excited! I've wanted to go forever.

midsomermurderess Fri 20-Sep-19 14:59:51

It's a beautiful and elegant city. I'm sure you'll love it.

notmrscookie Sat 21-Sep-19 18:10:50

I flew to Helskini for a night before doing Estonia and Latvia and Lithuania..it was fab did the island , rock church and mini bus tour ..it was fab but expensive.

surlycurly Sun 22-Sep-19 07:16:09

I wondered about the finances! I've spent a bit of time on Scandinavia and it's expensive there- I'm assuming it's comparable?!?

midsomermurderess Sun 22-Sep-19 10:28:30

Yes, I'd say it's similar to eg Sweden. Hotels are expensive and so is eating out so you need to look around for less expensive options.

EmmaGrundyForPM Sun 22-Sep-19 10:30:46

I've not been but my son goes often and he says it's really expensive. Presumably not an issue if you're only going for the day though!

surlycurly Sun 22-Sep-19 10:32:41

Yip- won't be staying there. Just entry to museums/ a couple of meals/ drinks to pay for really. I would like to go for a few weeks and tour about but the costs put me off. Although if you're rural then accommodation doesn't look to bad.

TalkingCucumberMoon Sun 22-Sep-19 11:14:28

I really like Seurasaari open air museum. The season is probably over already, but you can wander around for free. It's about a 20 min bus ride from the centre.

surlycurly Sun 22-Sep-19 11:23:46

Thank you- I'll have a google!

DorisDaysDadsDogsDead Wed 25-Sep-19 00:59:23

I always like to visit Zetor restaurant. It has a very amusing menu, and tractors in the bar! They used to do a dish called "Finnish Vegetables" which was basically meat...

surlycurly Thu 26-Sep-19 20:14:44

@DorisDaysDadsDogsDead wow- just wow- that menu looks glorious. I'm definitely going there!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »