Talk

Advanced search

Bologna February

(10 Posts)
MonnaLisa Sat 28-Sep-19 15:20:57

Oh another idea: before you leave go to a supermarket and stock on lovely Italian goodies to eat at home. I suggest buying sachets of Saffron that in Italy are lovely, good chocolate like Novi, dried porcini mushrooms, maybe a big chunk of Parmesan cheese, lovely artichokes in a jar, polenta, riso gallo, mulino bianco biscotti, pizzoccheri della valtellina etc!

MonnaLisa Sat 28-Sep-19 15:08:24

I suggest to look at the site bologna welcome.com for places to go/markets. It's in easy Italian. Oh, also in English.

www.bolognawelcome.com/home/card/musei/

www.bolognawelcome.com/home/vivi/shopping/tipologia-di-acquisto/mercati/

MonnaLisa Sat 28-Sep-19 15:04:42

I meant to Florence from Bologna.

MonnaLisa Sat 28-Sep-19 15:03:29

Ciao I am from Italy and I'd say to you if you haven't been pop on the train (cheap, fast) to Bologna from Florence. Bologna is lovely but 5 days there may be a bot long. You can certainly have a day trip somewhere else. Perhaps Ferrara or Modena. At the beginning of February 'can' be cold and the pianura Padana is brutal... but you are from the UK not Mauritius so you should be ok!! grin On the other hand there have been some Februaries in Italy which are really warm and balmy.

There is a market in Bologna on Saturday which is real fun. Restaurants come and go - have a look at trip advisor and check for one with recommendations from Italians rather than all by 'Britishers' (said with love & respect - happy is 'Britisher'!)

I am actually from Tuscany rather than Emilia but do ask if you have any questions.

ritzbiscuits Sat 28-Sep-19 14:51:53

I'd definitely do your research. I went with a friend who had googled places to eat in advance, we would have never have known about them as many are situated centrally but in back streets.

Would highly recommend going here to pick up some tortollini for lunch
www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187801-d3331392-Reviews-Pasta_Fresca_Naldi-Bologna_Province_of_Bologna_Emilia_Romagna.html

SJane48S Fri 13-Sep-19 10:40:49

Even if it’s rainy, Bologna’s pavements have portico’s (covered roofs) which help! We just wandered with a guidebook and walked in to restaurants based on menu’s - there’s a lot of choice and we didn’t have a bad meal! As PP has said, unlike say Venice, Bologna does feel like a ‘living’ city & has a good feel to it

LIZS Fri 13-Sep-19 09:03:16

There is a tourist office in main square where you can get a free walking tour and book a pass to different museums and tours. Go up the tower for a great view, it is an effort, lots of rickety stairs but worthwhile. The basement of the library has excavated Roman ruins which can be seen through glass panels in the floor and you can visit - gives a great sense of the age and development of the city. Lots of great restaurants and very easy to navigate. It also has a sense of a working university city with students meeting in the evenings and a buzz in the day.

parrotfashionista Fri 13-Sep-19 09:00:14

Also check out here.....

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/AttractionReview-g187801-d592655-Reviews-Corpuss_Domini-BolognaProvincee_ofBolognaa_Emilia_Romagna.html?m=19905

parrotfashionista Fri 13-Sep-19 08:57:20

There is a 'food street' with lots of fab casual bars and restaurants- it's in the centre so easy to find

Laska2Meryls Thu 12-Sep-19 14:29:39

Ive just booked a 5 day city break for DH 60th in Bologna next February.

(I hope it wont be too cold/ rainy, but thats ok , we are hardy !! )

Have never been , so can anyone give me recommendations for good value but great places to eat? And anything we really shouldn't miss.?

I'd like to treat him to a foody tour I think, so any recommendations would be great , and we like walking in cities
Hotel is in the old town..
Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »