Talk

Advanced search

Am I crazy?

(23 Posts)
LilRedWG Mon 06-Aug-07 09:24:50

Right - PILs are off to the south of France in their caravan on Wednesday evening and I've kind of invited DD and me. PILs are happy for us to go and are picking us up from the airport on Sunday.

Last night, FIL said, "MIL thinks you are very brave - she'd never fly on her own, let alone with a change over in Zurich and a baby in tow." Now, until this point I wasn't stressing it at all. I've spent lots of time in airports on my own (admittedly not with a 15 month old) and flying is nothing new or scary to me. BUT... now MIL has said that I'm wondering if I'm an idiot to do it!

Reassurance needed please (flights are booked, so no going back).

IdrisTheDragon Mon 06-Aug-07 09:27:32

With just one child, I really wouldn't get worried (probably would with more than one).

I'm sure all will be fine .

Easywriter Mon 06-Aug-07 09:28:19

No, you're not mad.

Just make sure you don't give up your buggy before you get to the door or the plane (or at very least the gate, sometimes the take them there but if you're on your own I think I'd try asking to keep it right up until you have to).

Don't forget to have a bottle of water (or breast!) for babe to suck on for take off and landing to relieve the pressure in her ears!

LilRedWG Mon 06-Aug-07 09:30:07

Thank you. Yes, I'd thought a bottle of water for take off and landing as I don't want her ears to hurt her.

LilRedWG Mon 06-Aug-07 09:35:02

I've just spoken to the airline and I can take my pushchair right up to the plane door and my luggage will be checked straight through (I was wondering if I'd have to collect as we are landing in Switzerland before going to France).

Am feeling more relaxed now DH is dropping us at the airport and PIL meeting us the other end

DingALongCow Mon 06-Aug-07 09:42:03

No, you are not an idiot to do it, its absolutely nothing to stress about.

I regularly fly shorthaul (6 times last year) with my daughter as we are expats in Switzerland. The worst was when she was 6 months old as I had to fumble around with bottles and messy food, but it just gets easier the older they get. It is a bit tough getting them to sit quietly on your lap, but lots of stickers and little toys and books kept her occupied. My daughter loves the experience, lots of attention, lots of new things to see and poke.

I get the same comments, but now I know that there is nothing to worry about (and we have had flights cancelled, delayed and diverted and coped with them all), I ignore them.

littlelapininhercar Mon 06-Aug-07 09:43:01

My next door neighbour is in the middle of a 4 month world tour with her 14mo DD - New Zealand (visiting family), the Caribbean (rendezvousing with her DH's ship), the USA (shopping ) - they have only done the NZ bit so far but she says her DD was a dream, and took it all in her stride. Also, flying alone with a small child, the cabin crew were fab to her.

You'll be fine!

LilRedWG Mon 06-Aug-07 09:46:15

Thanks Am feeling quite excited now. I only invited myself last night

littlelapininhercar Mon 06-Aug-07 09:57:45

Can I come too?!

LilRedWG Mon 06-Aug-07 10:09:18

LilRedWG Mon 06-Aug-07 10:10:17

Next daft question - am I better with window or aisle seat? DD is not mobile so am thinking window.

littlelapininhercar Mon 06-Aug-07 10:21:48

Window, more to look at. Do a nappy change just before boarding and you should be ok for a short flight.

Easywriter Mon 06-Aug-07 10:24:46

Um, my experience is of travelling long haul rather than short but the usual thing to do is to ask for a bulk head seat (on long haul airlines tend to prioritse these seats for people with children) i.e. the seats where you are at the front and have leg room in front of you.

If you get a bulkhead set it won't matter whether you go for aisle or window as you and those around you should be able to move without disturbing each other (but more importantly a hild who has say, just gone to sleep!)

Easywriter Mon 06-Aug-07 10:25:29

That would be a child not hild!

LilRedWG Mon 06-Aug-07 10:27:12

I was going to request bulkhead at check-in. If I don't get it I'll go for window.

stealthsquiggle Mon 06-Aug-07 10:30:49

definitely window - hours of amusement to be had from looking at planes on runways and then shapes in clouds - and no-one climbing over you / running into DD's outstretched hands/head with a trolley

...off to look at photos to remind myself that I have had a holiday this year!!

LilRedWG Mon 06-Aug-07 10:39:27

moondog Mon 06-Aug-07 16:01:37

IUt's a piece of piss.
What's wrong with him?
I've flown loads (and changed planes and even airports with two small kids.)

ScottishMummy Mon 06-Aug-07 16:10:46

nothing to worry about at all - i have had wee baby on/off planes no problemo the Scottish Granny was snorting and sucking teeth full of apocolyptic innsinuations....o well as long as nothing happens...o planes do crash..yardy yardy

Enjoy your well deservrd break and dont worry about anything other than how will i fit in all my duty free goddies and a new book HaHa

LIZS Mon 06-Aug-07 16:15:33

It will be fine and Zurich airport is not that big or busy.

LIZS Mon 06-Aug-07 16:16:22

oh and if you are there any length of time there is a playroom, with changing, feeding and nap facilities.

ScottishMummy Mon 06-Aug-07 16:17:29

LOL sounds better than my place

LilRedWG Tue 07-Aug-07 08:47:08

Thanks Zurich airport sounds great! We're flying from Birmingham too which isn't too bad an airport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now