Talk

Advanced search

The perfect French holiday?

(74 Posts)
ElizabethinherGermanGarden Wed 21-Aug-19 12:38:49

Next summer, I get to pick our holiday (couple) and I want to practise my French.

If you've been somewhere lovely in France, tell me why it's the best - I need inspiration.
Ta smile

SJane48S Wed 21-Aug-19 13:09:59

Are you looking to stay in one place OP & are you planning to drive or use public transport? Also do you know what budget you have?

Nomad86 Wed 21-Aug-19 18:46:48

Provence in June when the lavender is flowering. We stayed in an Airbnb in the Luberon, it was beautiful.

ElizabethinherGermanGarden Wed 21-Aug-19 20:49:57

Open to driving (boyfriend's no.1 favourite thing) but we did that this year - it's my turn and I like pottering about and sitting.

Budget is fairly generous - okay to stay in nice b&bs or houses; not okay to stay in top drawer hotels in Monaco or similar.

I haven't got a particular idea in mind - just want to read about other people's lovely holidays and steal inspiration! Lavender fields in the Luberon already sounds great.

MerryMarigold Wed 21-Aug-19 20:55:00

We are currently in the Dordogne. Beautiful Airbnb with pool. We drive through Paris on the way and did a few days sightseeing. Good combination of relaxing and doing stuff. Beautiful area, lovely houses and b + bs. You can canoe, walk, look at pretty towns, river swim, pool swim etc. Also like the Vendée but it's more touristy and v family oriented.

Paddington68 Wed 21-Aug-19 21:02:46

Nice.
So good the French had to get it back from the Italians.

ElizabethinherGermanGarden Wed 21-Aug-19 21:05:21

Oh, and it would have to be during the school summer holidays (teacher) so worrying that Provence would be too hot for northern boyfriend.

CharlieandLolaCat Wed 21-Aug-19 21:06:02

Depends on what you want to do, we stayed in a chalet in the alps and there is loads to do but prob more geared to families, at least where we are.

ElizabethinherGermanGarden Wed 21-Aug-19 21:21:20

Hmm, yes, Alps might be lovely - have only been for school ski trips but the mountains are always beautiful.

AtAmber Wed 21-Aug-19 21:27:51

We are currently in la Rochelle. We flew to Poitiers for about £60.00 return then got the train to la Rochelle. We are staying in an air b&b apartment in the old town. The whole holiday has cost less than £800.00 for 3 of us. It's amazing here.

Pinkarsedfly Wed 21-Aug-19 21:28:49

Ile de Rê.

Heaven.

tinytemper66 Wed 21-Aug-19 21:35:31

Aigues Mortes...beautiful walled town near Montpellier

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 21-Aug-19 21:38:33

Lake Annecy. So beautiful and the town of Annecy is great for mooching about and relaxing.

drivingtofrance Wed 21-Aug-19 21:39:13

Burgundy.

Lots of wine and fabulous food. places to visit. Oh and did I mention the wine ? grin

Not too far to drive from the Channel crossings ( 5 hours or so)

I have been to many places in France and this was one of my best. Just me and DH on this trip.

Gobbolino7825 Wed 21-Aug-19 21:40:21

Lake Annecy - it’s just stunning. Beautiful warm turquoise water, lake beaches to swim off, boats, paddle boarding, cycle paths, mountains nearby with loads to do, lovely restaurants, beautiful villages & towns... I love France and this is one of the best places I have visited. Temperatures lovely - generally not too hot but still mostly lovely weather with the odd rain storm.

Dordogne is also a favourite area - just fairytale beautiful - many chateaux to visit, beautiful river, gorgeous towns & villages...

ElizabethinherGermanGarden Wed 21-Aug-19 21:41:57

If anyone is in the mood to post links to lovely places, that would be fab. Bit much to ask of those of you on your hols though!

drivingtofrance Wed 21-Aug-19 21:49:39

My second favourite (if that is possible) is Dordogne. A couple of years ago we stayed in Les Eyzies - it's quite a popular touristy town but still very lovely. Loads to see and do around there - and again fantatic food!!

I won't share where we stayed as we booked a four bedroomed house and you won't need to spend that much. I fancied this place more recently but we didn't get there - this is in the same town. lebanquet.com/cottages/

NoHummus Wed 21-Aug-19 21:50:44

I am getting so much inspiration from this thread, I haven't been to anywhere in France other than Paris.

OP, you might get some ideas from this travel blog I follow:
www.ontheluce.com/tag/france/

Hope you have a fabulous time wherever you end up!

drivingtofrance Wed 21-Aug-19 21:51:52

Also loved La Rochelle - and that area. I haven't stayed in the town but have researched it.

there are many holiday apartments to rent around the new marina - not badly priced. They would be great for the two of you.

Legomadx2 Wed 21-Aug-19 21:54:25

The Lot is a beautiful - and very unspoilt - part of France. Get a gite with a pool and you're sorted. Markets all over he place, stunning scenery... La France Profonde 🇫🇷

SleepyRoo Wed 21-Aug-19 21:54:38

Currently in Burgundy. It's v beautiful wine country, great food, rural, uncrowded, traditional, and very few other English (big plus for me). It really is the undiscovered part of France. Lovely small hotels and restaurants. No coastline but gorgeous weather.

Outsomnia Wed 21-Aug-19 22:00:52

Well we flew to Carcassonne. Lovely place but a bit Disney, nice all the same.

Then hired a car and drove over the Pyrenees via Limoux (lovely wine centre), and Quillan (gorgeous spot), and on over the high mountains to Andorra via Puicgerda in Spain.

Back via Mirepoix, and Cathar Country (amazing castles and so on) and a great Neanderthal Cave like Lascaux. Big festivals going on that we knew nothing about and it was MAD! but very enjoyable.

I think it depends on what you like and enjoy.

CanYouHearThePeopleSing Wed 21-Aug-19 22:01:51

Contis Plage, on the Atlantic coast. Fly in to Bordeaux, spend some time there, travel down the coast, then go to Biarritz and fly back from there.

Or the Dordogne. We stayed in a very untouristy town called Belves. The perfect base for touring a beautiful area.

Scabetty Wed 21-Aug-19 22:03:08

Tourettes-sur-Loup and Gourdon via Nice.

Yika Wed 21-Aug-19 22:06:23

I love the Dordogne. Very verdant. Rolling hills.

Alternatively, why not try the Drome or the Ardeche with their beautiful gorges and rivers.

The most stunning holiday destination of all is Corsica with its sandy pine-fringed beaches and majestic mountains.

I think France is so varied and has so much to offer, you can hardly go wrong, whatever you pick.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »