Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for Dublin

(16 Posts)
LemonFritz Tue 20-Aug-19 21:19:45

My husband and I are going away to Dublin for two nights child free. My family are in the west of Ireland so I have spent a lot of time there but I have never been to Dublin as an adult.

Please may we have recommendations for the best places to go, fun to be found, food to eat and interesting places to visit.

Can’t wait!

maddy68 Tue 20-Aug-19 21:30:50

Temple bar obviously. So much fun. Take a lot of euros. It's not cheap. Try the fleet Street hotel just at the end of temple bar. Real quiet hotel but right in the center so little walking

inisfree Tue 20-Aug-19 21:33:46

I would go to Baggot street near Grafton street where you will find some lovely traditional authentic pubs with trad music. Museum of emigration is also excellent if weather isn't great and easily accessible on the luas.

wowfudge Tue 20-Aug-19 21:37:21

Kilmainham gaol is really interesting - pre-book if you want to go. I did a free walking tour of the city centre too and that was good.

JanewaysBun Tue 20-Aug-19 21:40:14

I did the literary tour which was fantatic

Do jameson over guiness if you want to do a brewery tour.

isabellerossignol Tue 20-Aug-19 21:41:53

I don't like Temple Bar much, it feels very fake.

But I do love Dublin as a whole ,and the city centre is really walkable and there are great restaurants all over the place. Las Tapas de Lola in Camden Street is really nice if you like tapas.

31RueCambon Tue 20-Aug-19 21:44:30

The Georgian Town House Museum. It's lovely

31RueCambon Tue 20-Aug-19 21:49:39

Think it's called numbertwentynine.ie

I want to go and see Epic as I have heard that',,s fascinating.

I love at the weekend when the artists are selling their work around outside of st stephen's green.

lucertola28 Wed 21-Aug-19 00:52:51

I live in Dublin, Temple Bar is not that great and at weekend can be a bit of a stags/hens venue.

I'd recommend staying somewhere on N11 near city centre. It's a bit quieter for night but lots of buses into city centre. Or somewhere near a luas stop. Luas will bring you into town at Stephen's Green Park. Lots of nice bars and restaurants around that area. Dawson street has nice bars also south great Georges street has nice bars and restaurants. All pretty near. If you use Google maps it's very easy to navigate walking around Dublin city centre.

What sort of stuff you into for sight seeing

LemonFritz Wed 21-Aug-19 20:59:50

Thanks for all of the replies!

I’m more interesting in visiting cultural/ historical sights rather than alcohol related tours.

Really enjoy live music and dancing.

WhatALump Wed 21-Aug-19 21:09:59

My dh and I visited a few years back and one place we visited that we lived was Kilmainham Gaol. We knew nothing about Irish history and it was a fascinating place to go.
We also got a 3 day bus pass for 30€ I think it was. That was for unlimited bus travel including the city tour buses which we thought was brilliant value.

isabellerossignol Wed 21-Aug-19 21:23:03

The GPO in O'Connell Street has a history exhibition that is supposed to be good.

wowfudge Wed 21-Aug-19 21:24:16

We visited the townhouse museum too - you have to time it right as they have set tour times. There are lots of things to do in Dublin which are worth pre-booking to ensure you don't queue for ages or, worse, miss out.

I spent a really enjoyable Sunday on a walking tour from Dublin which went to Wicklow. It was lovely - great scenery. We visited Glendalough on the way back.

AlwaysOnAbloodyDiet Wed 21-Aug-19 21:26:03

You must go on the Viking splash tour grin

Focalpoint Wed 21-Aug-19 21:30:19

Howth and do this cliff walk

TheTittefers Wed 21-Aug-19 21:32:39

When you arrive, buy a prepaid Leap card (like Oyster) in the shop with say €20 on it. Prebook Kilmainham Gaol and the Guinness Storehouse, and also IMMA is nearby (red Luas line to Kilmainham).

All the art galleries are free (National Gallery, RHA, Hugh Lane) And sometimes have free concerts on Sundays. The National museums are also free.

I’d stay in a nice central hotel like Staunton’s or the Fitzwilliam. Temple Bar is grand for a ramble but don’t stay there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »