Talk

Advanced search

Somewhere charming and easy to get to in Greece

(7 Posts)
Mummyonline Thu 15-Aug-19 12:30:44

I fancy going for a week to Greece in early September. Looking for somewhere charming preferably with a pool and easy to get to as won't be hiring a car. Budget £4000 for family of 4 (14 and 13 yo DC)

Funf Thu 15-Aug-19 19:59:16

Any of the islands should fit the bill, we like rhodes

midsomermurderess Fri 16-Aug-19 10:02:07

Have a look at the islands near Athens, Hydra, Spetses, Poros, Aegina. Hydra is car-free and very beautiful and elegant They seem to be more popular with Greeks, no doubt because they're easily reached from Athens. Foreginers tend to head for the further away islands. This is an overview.
www.discovergreece.com/en/greek-islands/close-to-athens

Mummyonline Sat 17-Aug-19 23:18:37

Thank you for your suggestions. I've heard a lot about Hydra. Have you been and if so, can you recommend places to stay?

midsomermurderess Sun 18-Aug-19 11:14:33

I haven't been to Hydra but have been thinking about it myself for a few days when I visit Athens.

Titsywoo Sun 18-Aug-19 11:16:08

My friend went to chania in Crete recently and it looks beautiful

ElizabethinherGermanGarden Sat 24-Aug-19 23:29:29

I went to Hydra with friends a couple of summers ago and loved it. A couple of things to be aware of, though: the beaches are few and far between (Hydra town has concrete swimming platforms or rocky foreshores) and because it is elegant and smart, the shops are very expensive. I had my eye on a plain blue bikini in a shop and thought I'd treat myself. It was €490. I didn't.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »