Talk

Advanced search

Gdańsk- has anyone been?

(8 Posts)
Hermanhessescat Sun 25-Aug-19 09:39:00

Just seen this post so maybe you've been already ! Gorgeous 2
spired cathedral in oliwa, lovely organ recitals if you're into that kind of thing, there 's some kind of botantical gardens near by too and a local folklore museum. Sopot has a very long promenade and lovely beach with those
Wicker beach chair things that protect you from the wind, lots of nice shops and a huge old grand hotel built in the 1900's, also charming villas built
around the turn of the century. Gdansk is very much like amsterdam, lots of high gabeled 3 storey merchants buildings, windy little passages, hard to believe that 90% was destroyed and then rebuilt after the war.

hairycabbage Sun 11-Aug-19 13:34:10

Ooh I'd love that!

orangeshoebox Sun 11-Aug-19 13:14:07

yes to hel!
there is a seal rescue station, very interesting to visit.

hairycabbage Sun 11-Aug-19 12:55:48

Thank you!
Furiously taking notes...

StandardLampski Sun 11-Aug-19 12:41:58

Go to hell

(Hel)
Get the ferry from gdynia
Its gorgeous.
Also sopot.

Enjoy, loved visiting

hairycabbage Sun 11-Aug-19 12:39:28

Boat tour sounds amazing, thanks.
Dh has some food allergies that make eating out tricky but not impossible but I like to try everything on offer wink

orangeshoebox Sun 11-Aug-19 12:24:14

it's a beautiful city.
you can take boat tours out of the harbour.
the food is lovely (if a bit rich). nothing beats a huge slice of rye bread with smalez (sp?) and pickled cabbage salad.

if you can, also go to sabot - the most amazing beach. it's a bath city with grand hotels by the sea.

hairycabbage Sun 11-Aug-19 12:17:30

Dh and I have booked a long weekend in Gdańsk without really researching it first so I know very little about it!
Has anyone been and can recommend it? Or offer any advice/ top tips?
Any dos/ donts would be much appreciated smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »