Talk

Advanced search

Prague - 4 days...... hit me with your suggested itinerary

(23 Posts)
surreysnapper Fri 19-Jul-19 14:06:51

I posted for suggestions to another city a long while back and had some fantastic responses and suggestions, all of which I managed to factor in and had a, great trip - so, thankyou everyone.

Now for our next trip - this time Prague has been suggested by our 15year old teen photographer.

I'm specifically looking for any hidden gems that any of you have discovered which may or may not be in guide books.

anyone here willing to share their experience as nd tips for thus city, please? TIA

Littlegoth Fri 19-Jul-19 14:22:28

Restaurants:

Jazz club just behind Tyn church
jazzungelt.cz/

Order the Czech plate and you might be lucky enough to enjoy a band.

Olympia just across Charles bridge
I’ve eaten something different on every visit(5 in total) and all lovely

m.kolkovna.cz/?forceVersion=mobile

White Horse for splashing out.

whitehorseprague.cz/cs/

Have a lovely time, it’s my absolute favourite city

historysock Fri 19-Jul-19 15:11:22

I once spent a weirdly fantastic morning in Prague shooting an AK47 at a rifle
Range but that might not be what you are after grin

The walk up to the mini Eiffel Tower viewing point thing is worth it as I recall...and the Jewish cemetery is very atmospheric...

Ricekrispie22 Fri 19-Jul-19 15:28:06

You're bound to go to Wenceslas Square at some point. When you're there you MUST go to Vytopna Railway restaurant! Your drinks are brought to you onboard a miniature railway train which weaves on a network of railway lines around the restaurant and even across your table. We were fascinated by the tunnels, drawbridges, ponds etc...The food is mostly pasta and pizza, reasonably priced and a good view over the square.
Prague seems to love model railways. Kingdom of Railways is an expansive model railway with lots of buttons to press.
The Funicular Railway up Petrin Hill is good fun in itself. At the summit are landscaped gardens and several attractions including an observation tower and a hall of mirrors.
It's not in the centre, but the National Agricultural Museum has lots of fun interactive exhibits.
Watch the amazing Astronomical Clock performance on the hour in the old town square.
The Lennon Wall - a wall full of graffitied tributes to the singer.
The Dancing House - two adjoining towers and unique curves that resemble two dancing figures, an effect heightened by the fact one of the towers is shaped like a woman wearing a skirt (hence the nickname, "Fred and Ginger") While the building consists largely of offices, great views can be enjoyed from the top floor restaurant (a café is also located on the main level).
Botanical garden - stunningly beautiful in spring. Not to be confused with the smaller university botanical garden.
Spanish synagogue - beautiful and peaceful

SilverViking Fri 19-Jul-19 16:43:06

We were there last autumn...
The cold war walking tour that included a visit to the nuclear bunker was brilliant.
Also did walking tour of old town ... excelent too.
Minibus tour was disappointing ... more because of the guide.
Went to classical concert... again excellent.
Enjoyed thestre of shadows/dark.
Jewish quarter and graveyard were excellent.
Brilliant city to wander around old town, jewish quarter and royal palace.
Also, some superb buskers at night on bridge and in old town square .

BelindasGleeTeam Fri 19-Jul-19 16:45:42

Palace and cathedral worth a visit.
Wenceslas Square etc.
Charles Bridge later on once it's quiet. There a bar on a boat on the river (you can see it from Charles Bridge) which does great cocktails.

Buy trainers in Botas66.

emma123456 Fri 19-Jul-19 18:10:09

Try Budapest. We did Prague last may and I was really disappointed. Busy, expensive and not that pretty.

bingohandjob Sat 20-Jul-19 13:53:13

Great suggestions so far (though emma why you'd be so negative when from, the positive replies it's clearly 'different strokes') and hoped those who have been (and enjoyed it!) could recommend hotels or other places/areas you stay as we are heading off later in the autumn. Thanks!

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 20-Jul-19 14:00:13

I actually loathed Prague too - mainly because it felt really touristy and was full of drunken lads on stags' nights ...

A day trip to Kutna Hora was the outstanding trip of our time there. We didn't do the chapel of bones, but we did love the Cathedral and surrounds as well as a tour of the silver mine.

Spam88 Sat 20-Jul-19 14:22:14

Speculum Alchemiae! It's an old alchemy lab underground that was discovered a few years back when the floods caused walls/bits of road to collapse. Best thing we did in Prague smile

The clock is shit by the way. But I sort of feel like everyone needs to go see it just to experience the disappointment.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 20-Jul-19 14:26:39

I really liked Prague - we were there in December and it was very cold, so not a stag or hen party in sight!

The observation tower and funicular railway were highlights, as was the church with baby Jesus and all his clothes. Good coffee and cake in lots of places. The dc liked the Bagel cafes (can't remember their exact name but probably google-able).

I'd like to go back.

thismeansnothing Sun 21-Jul-19 14:13:32

Beer museum.
Torture museum for a giggle.
Walk up Petrin hill.
Loads of good independent breweries. Travel out and have a good beer.
Jazz boat cruise and evening meal.
David cerny sculpture walk

kmetsch Sun 21-Jul-19 14:18:17

The Museum of Communism - particularly if you’re old enough to remember The Cold War

kalinkafoxtrot45 Sun 21-Jul-19 14:23:33

Jewish quarter and cemetery worth seeing!
Go very early in the morning to the Charles Bridge - like before breakfast. It’s deserted then.
I really liked the Fat Cat bar/restaurant in the city centre - they make their own beer. Also Ů Pinkasů and Ů tři zlatých lvů.
Look out for street food markets - when I was there last year, we went to one on Republic Square. Great local food and beers, really fun to try.

ShowerOfShite Sun 21-Jul-19 14:27:46

Following with interest as I'm taking DD15 in December.
Is it very expensive to eat out, coffee shops etc?

werekitty Sun 21-Jul-19 14:33:22

I'm going in October and have booked a running tour for early in the morning and a food tour, hopefully one should cancel out the other... Trying to decide where to go during the rest of my stay.

BelindasGleeTeam Sun 21-Jul-19 19:00:55

Food is really reasonable.

Are like a pig and it really wasn't expensive.

TheresWaldo Mon 22-Jul-19 10:03:08

We were there a couple of weeks ago. I found it hugely crowded and expensive compared to last time I went (15 years ago). Museum of Communism was good. Wandering round Kampa and Mala Strana. The castle - get the tram to the top of the hill. Charles Bridge is always stunning. Marina restaurant on a converted boat has great views and food was good. You need to book though. marinaristorante.cz/menu/aktualita/
We did the tour of the synagogues and the Jewish Cemetery. There is a holocaust memorial in one, with pictures drawn by children in the Terezin concentration camp which moved me to tears.

TapasForTwo Wed 24-Jul-19 23:49:50

DD visited Prague on her recent interrailing trip and was disappointed because all the stag parties just ruined it for her. She said that they were so drunk, and the atmosphere was just unpleasant.

My advice is to avoid going for the weekend.

ZenNudist Thu 25-Jul-19 00:00:00

Look up taste of prague. I didnt go on their food tour but bought their map of fabulous restaurants. My fave was breakfast booked in advance at cafe savoy then a walk up the hill to the Eiffel tower thingy, back down via the castle district, stopping to see the old masters at one of the national galleries. Then back across Charles bridge to the Jewish quarter to eat at this amazing butcher shop fast food joint with great wine.

I also loved the Vietnamese restaurant they recommended.

I enjoyed a trip on the tram to the contemporary modern art gallery. Then back on tram to vyserad castle. We went to the big castle a different day.

Loved going to see Smetena's Ma Vlast by the Prague / Czech (?)Philharmonic orchestra. If I went back would choose a Dvorak symphony. You can do mini classical concerts in churches if you not a fan.

ZenNudist Thu 25-Jul-19 00:00:47

Or Prague is big on jazz but Im not a jazz fan.

DrCoconut Thu 25-Jul-19 00:18:59

St Nicolas cathedral. It's mind blowing in there. The castle was good but you need 2 days to cover it all. The national museum was also interesting and they had evening concerts too.

242Mummy Fri 26-Jul-19 12:15:11

We were in Prague over May half term with two teenaged boys. They both agreed that the highlight was a visit to Terezin (OK - not everyone's idea of a holiday, it's a concentration camp). We hired a historian to guide us and he was absolutely fantastic in terms of knowledge and personal stories of the prisoners there. If you'd like his name and contact details, let me know - he's busy writing his 5th book but might be able to squeeze a tour in. When you come back to Prague and look around the Jewish Quarter, it'd be a lot more meaningful.

We also visited Kutna Hora and Sedlec Church on a day trip which might be interesting for your son. Google it and see!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »