Talk

Advanced search

Liverpool

(15 Posts)
MomOfTwoGirls2 Thu 18-Jul-19 23:41:30

I would like some recommendations from you lovely people!

Dd2 doing a dance workshop in Liverpool at beginning of August. DD1, her friend and I will hang out in Liverpool/Manchester for the week.
Can I get some recommendations of fun things to do with late teens?

Also, our flight arrived very early in Sunday, checking at apartments is 3pm and I’m not sure we can leave the bags earlier. Any recommendations for Sunday?
I’m thinking maybe a shopping mall?

Finally, I’m not renting a car, will be public transport, walking and an odd taxi if needed!

BackforGood Thu 18-Jul-19 23:54:17

Liverpool is a fab City to spend a couple of days in.
There is a big shopping area, but if you are only there for a short while, wouldn't you prefer to see the sites of Liverpool rather than generic shops ?

Depends what they like / how much you want to spend there is / are :

The Cavern Club
Beatles Tours
Lovely redeveloped dock area
Free and interesting museums down in the dock area
"Ferry, cross the Mersey"
Two lovely and totally contrasting Cathedrals
A smashing library next to another Museum up near the City Hall Area
Anfield and Goodison football Grounds (Tours available)

Just off the top of my head without looking anything up.
There is a site called 'Visit Liverpool' you could look up.

Liverpool is geographically pretty compact, so you can walk around it. That said, taxis are incredibly cheap in Liverpool.

TreaterAnita Thu 18-Jul-19 23:59:01

Liverpool/Manchester is quite a broad area, are you flying into Mcr and staying in Liverpool? In which case you really need Liverpool recommendations as it’s a bit of a trek between the two. I’m in Mcr so limited in terms of recommendations, but Liverpool is a great city.

FogCutter Thu 18-Jul-19 23:59:13

Yes to all the above
All the free museums especially the ones down on the waterfront
Cat cafe
Shopping at Liverpool one
Trip to the beach - Crosby or new Brighton are neatest, Crosby has the Anthony gormley statues.
Albert dock

MomOfTwoGirls2 Thu 18-Jul-19 23:59:17

Thanks for those recommendations and I’ll checkout that website.

I definitely want to see the sights! Was thinking of shopping mall on first day as we will be dragging a carry-on sized suitcase each, for several hours until we can check in at 3pm.

MomOfTwoGirls2 Fri 19-Jul-19 00:00:18

Trip to beach sounds good. Fingers crossed we get beach weather!!

MomOfTwoGirls2 Fri 19-Jul-19 00:02:09

Flying into Liverpool and staying in Liverpool. Planning to head into Manchester by train a few days. We will be there for 7 days in total.

Petitprince Fri 19-Jul-19 00:07:20

For the Sunday you arrive I'd do a bus tour - there are Beatles ones and regular ones. You can stow your cases on the bus so you're not dragging them round, plus you get a really good idea of the place. They are pre bookable and seem to start at 10am. If you're there earlier grab a nice breakfast first!

FogCutter Fri 19-Jul-19 00:17:19

It is a bit of a trek from Liverpool to Manchester and personally I'm not a big fan of Manchester to visit, much prefer Liverpool.

Chester is closer, easy to get to on the train and a v different experience to the big cities of Manchester and Liverpool.

Isitactuallyme Fri 19-Jul-19 00:20:49

1 day. Go to lark lane lots of independent shops and restaurants one day and walk round Sefton Park. Outside city centre but easy to spend a day there.
1/2 day Speke hall is also a good afternoon/morning.
1day. Check out Mathew st. Met Quarter, World museums, Walker Art Gallery and Central library
1 day Liverpool 1, Albert Dock, Museum of Liverpool, Maritime museum
Treat - afternoon tea at panoramic
Enjoy! I love living here x

sleepwouldbenice Fri 19-Jul-19 00:28:20

Ask if you can leave luggage get early otherwise there are some luggage storage places
Second the above just to add there's an inflatable obstacle course in the Albert dock at the moment plus although the panoramic afternoon tea views are fab so are those up the radio city tower

Freddiemercurysjeans Fri 19-Jul-19 07:21:18

We went recently for the weekend. We did Beatles museum, albert docks, Maritime museum (free, really good titanic and slavery exhibitions) and the Museum of British Music (which was really cool) We went out of the city on the second day to Knowsley Safari Park as it was the Champions League victory parade and we didn’t fancy getting caught up in it! Safari park was brilliant. If we had a second day in the city we would’ve done the cathedrals.

DeathMetalMum Fri 19-Jul-19 07:31:12

Love Liverpool as it's during the summer holidays there will be plenty of thing going on in the City. Museums on Albert dock - Tate and the maritime/slavery museum. Then Liverpool Museum further over. All really good, you can do a ferry crossing or tour. You can now do tours of the liverbuilding. Beetles experience and cavern club area. More museums up by lime street station, plus walker art gallery.

Plenty of theatre choices as well.

Get the train Wirral way rather than Manchester I would say like pp. Chester is a lovely city, you could also visit Chester zoo, but probably best getting a direct bus there.

Sefton Park, also Birkenhead park across the water. We visit liverpool often - so much to do.

MomOfTwoGirls2 Fri 19-Jul-19 09:27:00

Thanks to everyone, lots of great options mentioned. Can’t wait to visit!!

lovelychops Fri 19-Jul-19 23:24:04

It may be worth checking out if there is an option to store your cases somewhere, possibly in Liverpool one information area?
Lots of places to eat if you're staying in city centre at first. Lots of chain restaurants in liverpool one.
Or, head to bold street and there is so much choice!!

Another suggestion would be to go to duke street food market and / or Baltic market.
Lots of cool places in Baltic area. All something a bit different.

As others have mentioned Albert dock is great, and has the Tate gallery if you fancy a look around.
There will be stuff on at the pier bead in summer too. And the ferry terminal is there .

I wouldn't go to Manchester for this trip, but visit formby or Crosby for beaches.

Enjoy ! There's so much to do

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »