Talk

Advanced search

Short break destination that is not a city

(26 Posts)
Givemestrengthorgin Thu 18-Jul-19 22:15:36

Looking to get a 3 night break away with my mum in a European destination that isn't a big, busy city but still has a good atmosphere and scenic views. I was thinking Chamonix but it's a bit harder to get to. Ideally we don't want to hire a car. Google just shows me the top city breaks. Any recommendations? Thanks

Northernsoullover Thu 18-Jul-19 22:20:04

Nerja? Its a beautiful Spanish town on the coast but from there you can bus it to Frigliana which is gorgeous. I fly into Malaga walk out of arrivals and on the train to the bus station. A bus up to Nerja and Bobs your uncle.

Northernsoullover Thu 18-Jul-19 22:21:06

Nerja caves are brilliant too.

BinkySodPlop Thu 18-Jul-19 22:21:27

I'm currently in Funchal, Madeira. It's fantastic. Lots to do and see and less than 4 hours from UK. It's very hilly / mountainous, but the cable cars from Funchal, and the bus tours mean that you can see / experience a lot with limited mobility.

SunnySomer Thu 18-Jul-19 22:24:35

If you’re prepared to take a train there are lots of places in Switzerland that would fit the bill, eg Engelberg. Including flight it’s probably half a day travelling each way - but the train is pretty so like part of the holiday

Shangrilalala Thu 18-Jul-19 22:25:15

Cascais is my favourite quick break. Fly to Lisbon and it’s a short hop on the train - or a more expensive (but not ££££) 30 minute taxi transfer.

Wonderful restaurants, tranquil beaches, people watching opportunities and plenty of cultural activities. Lisbon on your doorstep if you fancy a few hours of something livelier. Gorgeous year round and we highly recommend!

imsorryiasked Thu 18-Jul-19 22:26:51

Channel islands?
Scilly isles?

RandomNameChange415 Thu 18-Jul-19 22:35:26

Lucerne is pretty and easy to get to. Not cheap though.

The Ardennes would be scenic and different. Dinant and Namur are easy to get to by train.

AlpenCrazy Thu 18-Jul-19 22:37:58

Cavtat near Dubrovnik

Two harbours, quiet by the sea, easy boat ride or bus from Dubrovnik, around 30 mins

AdaColeman Thu 18-Jul-19 22:43:34

Bergamo would be a fab short break, it's airport is one of Milan's outlying airports, so you may well get a direct flight there. There is a lower modern town, ignore that, and stay in the medieval upper town which is stunningly beautiful.
There are a couple of family run traditional restaurants with wonderful food.

Or another idea is to stay on Lake Como, though not in Como itself. The lake ferry service is excellent and you could visit a different lake side destination each day. The scenery and the food are wonderful.

Redtartanshoes Thu 18-Jul-19 22:45:15

Nerja for me

FadedRed Thu 18-Jul-19 22:50:10

Lake Garda, lots of places by the lake, including Garda town itself. Beautiful scenery, lots to see and do. Flight to Verona then get the bus. Verona is a lovely place to look around as well.

Ellmau Thu 18-Jul-19 22:51:01

Merano in South Tyrol - Inghams do a package flying to Verona including hassle-free transfers, or you could find your own flight to Bolzano and get the train from there. Public transport is brilliant to explore the area, fab scenery, Merano is a city but a small attractive one, loads to see in the area. It's technically Italy but culturally like Austria with a bit of Italian flavour.

TapasForTwo Thu 18-Jul-19 23:08:31

I am so jealous of you BinkySodPlop. We have been to Madeira twice now, and enjoyed the second visit even more than the first.

We went to Madeira in May, and had a fantastic time. I just love the place. We stayed in the old town this time, within easy walking distance of the sea and the cable car, and near loads of brilliant restaurants.

If you are there for a few more days I highly recommend the whale watching boat trips.

BitchyArriver Thu 18-Jul-19 23:14:29

Valletta in Malta!!

ovenchips Thu 18-Jul-19 23:59:55

@Givemestrengthorgin Annecy in France? Fly to Geneva then travel about 30 miles south. Completely ravishing area. Beautiful French town, sparkling green lake, surrounded by Alps. No car needed. You could have a day trip to Chamonix too?

rookiemere Fri 19-Jul-19 07:25:35

We had a fabulous break at Lake Lucerne many years ago. Stunning scenery, loads of things to do including a cog railway up the mountain. Took the train straight from Zurich airport, would be very expensive these days is the downside.

stucknoue Fri 19-Jul-19 07:28:19

Avignon is nice, Eurostar goes there

CrepuscularCritter Fri 19-Jul-19 07:36:08

Also thinking Eurostar, in this case to Brussels, then take the train to Knokke Heist on the Begian coast. The coastal tram runs from there to De Panne giving you lots of coastal villages and dunes to explore. Inland is Aalst, a jenever town, and you're also not far from Ghent if you want a city day.

And I'd second Avignon. Or Arles, which isn't much further away.

AuntieStella Fri 19-Jul-19 07:40:25

Channel Islands?

Jersey for big and lots on, Guernsey for quieter, the others for even quieter still.

Summergarden Fri 19-Jul-19 07:44:07

I was going to suggest Lucerne, too.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 19-Jul-19 09:02:46

Isle of Man

Fly or go on the ferry either as foot passengers, or take your own car - they do a short break offer.

Stay in Douglas, there's a museum and various other things of interest.

You can get steam trains, horse drawn trams and go up the mountain on the train - on a clear day you can see England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales from the top.

Castle Town and Port Erin and St Mary in the South and Peel with its Castle on the west coast all nice for a wander round.

whitebowls Fri 19-Jul-19 12:55:50

@BitchyArriver
I'd love to hear more about Valletta. Currently considering it for an August holiday. Just DH and me. Thanks

babysharkah Fri 19-Jul-19 12:57:07

Carcassone
Jerez

BitchyArriver Fri 19-Jul-19 17:46:04

whitebowls Valletta was fab! We got really cheap flights with Ryanair and stayed in a spacious 1 bed apartment overlooking the grand harbour for 100€ per night.

The city is beautiful and has no modern buildings. You can walk from one side to the other in 10 minutes. There is loads and loads of historical stuff to see. Plus you can take day tours for boats and beaches. The restaurants are great and the atomosphere is fab at night once the cruise ship leaves and the streets are full of young people drinking cocktails sitting on the steps of the streets. I would highly recommend it! Let me know if you have any questions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »