Talk

Advanced search

First holiday abroad with BF in Oct and he’s suggested Majorca 😳

(33 Posts)
CoconutAmericano Wed 17-Jul-19 07:20:32

Please tell me there are nice ‘coupley’ resorts there? ! I just think of Santa Ponsa and Magalluf and I’m way past all that. He’s younger than me and has only been on stag dos in the past abroad. I want a decent hotel in a decent resort with some nice bars/restaurants and beach walks. Oh wise ones, guide me on what resorts I should be looking into gin

CoconutAmericano Wed 17-Jul-19 07:21:31

Oh and it needs to be cheap n cheerful with a short flight hence the Majorca suggestion

leckford Wed 17-Jul-19 07:26:47

There are some lovely places on Mallorca as it is a big island, Parma is a nice city with loads of restaurants, try to get somewhere there. I believe the government has been trying to improve Magaluf, but best avoided!

ArialAnna Wed 17-Jul-19 07:34:31

Have a look at Port de soller or Port de Pollenca.

From Port de soller you can get a tram into Soller and do lovely walks to hill top villages. You can also get a train to Palma for a day trip there.

Port de Pollenca I haven't been to myself but I know it's seen as an upmarket resort popular with families.

Lamentations Wed 17-Jul-19 07:37:11

Mallorca is lovely! I have never been to Magaluf but that is one town on a beautiful island.

Pollenca is a safe bet if you want nice hotels and restaurants. Look on Google at photos of the pine walk and you'll eat your words I promise.

Northernsoullover Wed 17-Jul-19 07:38:11

Mallorca is stunning. So many beautiful resorts. The weather can be iffy in October though so if you want sun I'd head to the canaries. If you want culture and good food Mallorca is the best place.

Lamentations Wed 17-Jul-19 07:39:22

Soller was going to be my other suggestion.

Nononononono33 Wed 17-Jul-19 07:42:16

Agree Majorca is a good choice, as pp says look at Port de Pollenca as that is lovely with good beaches, nice restaurants and bars. You could go on day trips to Palma and to a water park too if you fancy - we hired a car but you can get around on public transport.

BiscuitDrama Wed 17-Jul-19 07:42:20

If it’s not what you’d choose then why are you going? Could you try and find somewhere that appeals to you both?

Bigearringsbigsmile Wed 17-Jul-19 07:45:49

Northern majorca is amazing . Beautiful, nice restaurants, walks, bars, sightseeing etc

But the weather isn't great in October.

cloudyinjune Wed 17-Jul-19 07:46:55

Mallorca, like Ibiza, Tenerife... is a whole island.
People live there too.
A lovely island.
I am Spanish and had never heard of Magaluf until I moved here
Find a good place smile

CoconutAmericano Wed 17-Jul-19 07:48:42

Wow, all the suggestions! Thank you so much, ill have a look at these now. biscuitdrama i dont know! He suggested majorca last night and i went into panic mode thinking of magaluf et al but couldn't think of anywhere better myself blush. He’ll take me whever I'm happy, i just need to do some research and hit back with ‘nicer’ ideas grin

CoconutAmericano Wed 17-Jul-19 07:50:10

I will find a good place cloudyinjune grin wink

AuntieMarys Wed 17-Jul-19 07:52:53

Palma is fab. Lovely restaurants and lots to do.

ArialAnna Wed 17-Jul-19 08:00:27

But I do agree with others that the weather might not be great in October. Somewhere further south like Crete would be better if you wanted a better chance of warm weather and sun.

secretrugbyfan Wed 17-Jul-19 08:04:41

There are two places in NE Mallorca......Cala Bona and Cala Millor….they are separated by a beach road/path that you can walk between and takes about 20 mins.....Cala Bona is a lovely place...it's a harbour so has lots of places that serve great fresh fish dishes and has a great sandy beach.....Cala Millor is a bit more lively and there are bars/restaurants on the walk in-between them where you can sit at night or first thing in the morning and watch the sunrise/sunset over the sea.....perfect I think for a bit of romance, but also you have access to bars/nightlife too.

CoconutAmericano Wed 17-Jul-19 08:07:49

Oh no, we were hoping to be able to lounge by the pool, enjoy a cocktail in the heat. No heat? Coconut starts rethinking things confused

weebarra Wed 17-Jul-19 08:10:35

I'm just back from Mallorca and have been going since I was a child. I've never been near magaluf.
Both Port de Pollença and Port de Alcúdia have lovely beaches. Port de Alcúdia is a bit more lively, while Port de Pollença is more chilled.
They're both near gorgeous old towns dating from the Romans which are great for a wander and food.
Port de Soller and Soller are also really nice.
I'm jealous!

stucknoue Wed 17-Jul-19 08:11:33

There's lots of non party places but why don't you suggest Sicily or Greece to him as further south, better late season.

Karigan195 Wed 17-Jul-19 08:13:01

If you want heat, beaches, nice walks and not too expensive try Crete.

Myotherusernameisshy Wed 17-Jul-19 08:13:35

I love Mallorca, particularly Pollenca, but I wouldn’t go in October as I don’t think the weather would be good enough for a beach holiday.

weebarra Wed 17-Jul-19 08:17:30

I agree, I've had some great weather in October but also awful! I'd look to the canaries or Greek islands for sun then.
Kassiopi in Corfu might also tick your boxes.

Elliesmommy Wed 17-Jul-19 08:23:01

I second secretrugbyfan Cala Bona - Cala Millor is beautiful. We went as a family but its just as ideal for a couple. Not expensive either

TinyMystery Wed 17-Jul-19 08:24:09

I’ve been to Mallorca in October and the weather was perfect but maybe I was just lucky?!

Canaries are usually a good bet for autumn sun though. Gran Canaria is one of my favourite places in the world, provided you go absolutely nowhere near the resorts which are truly horrendous. There is AMAZING hiking in the mountains and lots of pretty little villages to explore.

whatswithtodaytoday Wed 17-Jul-19 08:29:17

Porte de Pollensa is gorgeous, very couply with a beautiful beach and plenty of restaurants, and a very pretty old town. The weather in October could be hit or miss - it won't be cold but it might be a bit stormy some days. More importantly, you'll find some places will be closed - ferries, shops, restaurants, ice cream sellers, deckchair hire places - they will all be in the process of packing up for the off season.

I'd do a bit earlier, say late September, or would suggest Malta. We swam in the sea on Bonfire Night in Malta, it was lovely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »