Talk

Advanced search

Tuscany - or somewhere else - in October?

(4 Posts)
CanYouHearThePeopleSing Mon 15-Jul-19 14:28:05

DH and I usually holiday for the first 2 weeks in Sept, but for a few reasons, we're looking to move it later this year.

Any thoughts/views on Tuscany at the start of Oct? We've been to Italy loads, but never at that time of year. The only time we ever holidayed that late, we were on Mykonos and the weather was lovely, but everything was closing down for the season (we weren't in Mykonos Town) so it wasn't ideal. I'm guessing that wouldn't be the case in Tuscany though...

Any other suggestions for nice (European) places to visit at the start of Oct? We like to relax, but aren't 'sitting by the pool' kinds of people, so it doesn't need to be hot (although dry would be nice!).

BubblesBuddy Mon 15-Jul-19 15:21:10

It can rain at that time of year. It’s fairly green so rain is normal but not every day! It’s a great time to explore because it’s quieter. I think it’s nicer than summer and the autumn hues are lovely.

I would also recommend the South of France. Nice and the surrounding hills are stunning. Again you might get the odd rainy day but in general it’s a lovely time to go.

Cities in Spain would also be great. The Seville, Córdoba, Granada triple city tour would be excellent.

I think cities and areas with great restaurants, historic sights and museums that are not dependent upon a summer season are where you should go. Greek Islands are largely sun, sea and sand. Tuscany, South of France, Spanish cities and probably Sicily are not. They are visited all year round. That’s what you need to aim for.

CanYouHearThePeopleSing Mon 15-Jul-19 17:15:03

You've hit on my second choice without even realising it! Seville etc is very much on my 'to do' list (went to Granada last year, and very keen to go back to the area).

We went to the area around Nice about 10 years ago - I must look up what time of year it was... it was hot, as I recall, but definitely wouldn't have been peak summer season. Maybe time for a re-visit...

SJane48S Tue 16-Jul-19 10:47:14

A quick google says that average temperatures in Florence are 21 degrees with a predicted 8 rainy days which isn’t bad! Further south, Bari is very similar. Sicily is better - Taormina is on average 23 degrees. Sicily does have a very different feel to Northern Italy - it’s poorer and the landscape is very different. Does make a good trip though! We did Catania/Taormina/Syracuse by train 2 years ago. Both Taormina & Syracuse (especially Ortigia where the Eastern part of the Greek empire was headquartered) are beautiful so take a google at some images! Taormina is perched on a hilltop overlooking the sea with a ridiculously cinematic old town & ruined Greek amphitheatre. Ortigia is all pale stone, Greek ruins, pretty piazza’s and interesting alleyways. There’s lot of Greek & Roman history to explore there including catacombs, temples & an arena. Catania has an airport with frequent flights from the U.K. ( we flew Norwegian) - it’s worth a day & quite a bit of it is built from the volcanic rock that once covered the city. Other highlights of the area are Etna (there’s a dedicated train that takes you up there & then it’s a hike) & really great food!

Southern Spain will be warm and dry. Haven’t been to Seville in years but lovely city and warmer still at 26 degrees! If you’d like to do more than one centre, we went to Tavira in Portugal last Feb and it’s a quaint pretty town with a castle, river and beach. It’s just over the border and takes one hour 40 by bus from Seville or you could drive it. Again, take a google!

Nice is one of my favourite places - will be cooler though (apparently between 19-21). The crowds will be less and that’s fine walking around weather. Probably wouldn’t be my choice though (just personal opinion) as I like sea swimming at next door Villefranche (the view once you get in the water is picture perfect Riviera - totally idyllic) and it would be a bit cold for that. Depends on what you want though & there are lots of places to explore along the train network that connects the Riviera

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »