Talk

Advanced search

Italy - Lake Como or Cinqe Terre?

(14 Posts)
Fujexa Fri 12-Jul-19 09:32:13

Hi all, I would appreciate anyone's advice on this!

Myself and my DH will be in Italy in Sept for a conference in Milan, and will have 3 nights at the end of our trip to go somewhere nice. It will be just the two of us.

We were thinking of either going to Lake Como, or to Cinque Terre as both seem doable from Milan.

If it helps - our main interests on holidays are food, wine, (visiting vineyards is always a bonus actually!), a bit of sightseeing/exploring, maybe water activities or a spa. Not really into lying by the pool/beach.

Has anyone here got any opinions on which place is nicer/better for a short trip? (Or somewhere else nearby?)

Also - any opinions on which town would be best to stay at around Lake Como?

Any help much appreciated!

Fujexa Fri 12-Jul-19 13:12:22

Bump! Anyone at all?

givememarmite Fri 12-Jul-19 14:59:48

We stayed in Santa Margherita for 2 nights in May which was gorgeous. Originally wanted to go to Portofino but after much research decided to stay here instead and just did a boat trip to Portofino, (spent a couple of hours there which was plenty). You could also go to Rapallo or even further down the coast if you have an extra night (the port was closed for renovation when we were there but should be open again now).

There are some really good restaurants and bars in Santa Margherita and it's a lovely place to wander around. We had flown into Milan and hired a car to drive down. It took nearly three hours on the Friday afternoon with the weekend traffic but was just 2 going back on Sunday. There are trains to Santa Margherita from Milan though which would be easy too.

PS we've been to Milan a few times too so if you need any recommendations there just shout!

FeltCarrot Sun 14-Jul-19 07:35:51

We drove to Lake Como from Milan last year, takes about an hour. We stayed near Lenno, across the lake from Bellagio. Absolutely stunning.

Fujexa Sun 14-Jul-19 08:12:56

@givememarmite - sorry I haven't replied until now (busy few days!) but thank you so much for your suggestions. I will definitely check those all out. We do have the Milan portion of our week sorted, thanks!

@feltcarrot thanks, I will definitely check out Lenno!

Ellmau Sun 14-Jul-19 11:49:18

Definitely Lake Como - much more to see. Anywhere in the mid lakes region served by ferry is good - Lenno, Tremezzo, Menaggio, Varenna or Bellagio - the you can get around and visit the others on the ferries. Varenna is prettiest imo, followed by Bellagio. Lenno's very small, so might not be optimal for restaurants as you say you like good food.

FeltCarrot Sun 14-Jul-19 19:14:36

Have lunch on l’isola Comacina, not cheap but a fabulous experience.

Fujexa Sun 14-Jul-19 19:33:45

Great tips, thanks!

Beebumble2 Wed 17-Jul-19 20:58:59

Stay in Como itself, great restaurants in the winding streets, cafes to watch the world go by. The funicular railway goes to the top of a mountain with restaurants and fantastic views. Beautiful walks round the lake.
The boat ferries are central and go to lovely little towns/ villages.
We stayed at the Metropole Suisse, directly on the lake.

notangelinajolie Wed 17-Jul-19 21:01:08

Lake Como gets a vote from me too.

TheLovelyOtherDinosaur Wed 17-Jul-19 21:05:57

We went to cinque terre on a day trip. Even though it’s really beautiful and unique I’m not sure there would be much more to see/ do for more than a day- 2 at the Max

theunrivalledjoysofparenting Wed 17-Jul-19 21:11:46

Lake Como - we stayed there at Easter. We stayed in Hotel la Darsena in Tremezzo - fabulous foodie restaurant, right on the lake.

Lots to do locally - walks, boat trip - to Bellagio, Como, etc - Villa Carlotta is 5 mins walk away. I’d go back in a heartbeat. We woke one morning and it had snowed the night before. The mountains across the lake were beautiful.

Also recommend the funicular railway in Como.

Can imagine it is heaving in summer, but October should be good!

LoveB Wed 17-Jul-19 21:34:00

We went to both cinque terre and lake como on honeymoon.

Lake como was stunning. Bellagio is the place to go, we found Como itself pretty boring... It was gorgeous round there, we found it relaxing because we mainly admired the views and drank wine.

Cinque terre also beautiful. We got the boat from La Spezia and then walked between the towns. We spent 1 day there, but I'd happily have spent 2/3 days if we were staying in one of the towns.

To be honest I'm sure you can find water sports and walks to do at either place, as well as good food. You can't go wrong with either place really! Have fun.

Fujexa Wed 17-Jul-19 23:01:08

Thank you all, I did some more research based on all your recommendations, a lot of places are booked out already but I've found a lovely looking hotel in Tremezzo. Also eyeing up that fabulous restaurant on l'isola comacina too! I wouldn't have known where to start without you all grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »