Talk

Advanced search

Help wanted - destination advice for a week in August, warm but not boiling

(17 Posts)
BuffyTy Thu 11-Jul-19 08:04:21

Looking at Europe and not keen to stay in the UK, but DH and DD (11 years old) can't stand it too hot. Time off work is booked for the first week August. Last year at the beginning of July we had an amazing holiday in France - 2 nights in Carcassone, 2 nights in Uzes including canoeing under the Pond du Gard (amazing, totally recommend it and we are not sporty at all!) and 2 nights near Les Bains in western Provence. Would love to do something similar in France, Italy or Balearics but think it might be too hot then. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

BubblesBuddy Thu 11-Jul-19 14:59:12

Everywhere south of here is hot in August and you’ve left it incredibly late to book!

Try Ireland, Sweden or Norway. The latter two are expensive though. You could also see if you can get on an Alaskan cruise. I know it’s not Europe but not hot in Europe is a problem! Also Eastern Canada will not be hot.

BubblesBuddy Thu 11-Jul-19 15:00:16

You might also enjoy Normandy and North Brittany.

reluctantbrit Thu 11-Jul-19 15:33:32

Brittany may be an option. If you like activities you could also look at Austria or Germany, the southern German states are normally good weather wise.

Northern Italy or the lakes but it depends what your definition of hot is.

confusedjuly2019 Thu 11-Jul-19 20:29:53

Dolomites, more specifically Sud Tirol, alternatively how about Austria?

confusedjuly2019 Thu 11-Jul-19 20:33:27

...as pointed out by 'reluctant' N Italy (& Austria) can easily be 30'C plus. We've had many a happy holiday in Normandy grin.

AlwaysOnAbloodyDiet Thu 11-Jul-19 20:36:17

The Netherlands

AnnaMagnani Thu 11-Jul-19 20:45:24

Poland, Denmark, Netherlands?

You need to look North if you don't want boiling in the first week of August.

Masses of lovely beaches if you look North and East.

ihatethecold Sat 13-Jul-19 12:32:01

Everywhere south of here is hot in August and you’ve left it incredibly late to book!

no shit sherlock! how are comments like that helpful?

I haven't booked yet for august but weirdly I know that its next month as i'm sure the op does also.

BubblesBuddy Sat 13-Jul-19 15:46:05

For heavens sake! It limits choice! That’s the problem. We can suggest all sorts of great places but whether anything is available that the op would like is another matter. Not to mention availability flights! I guess last minute somewhere would work but not if you are discerning. Many people do plan ahead these days to get cheaper flights when booking start. Sorry if that advice is offensive.

ihatethecold Sat 13-Jul-19 20:52:34

It’s not offensive, just nobby!!

RaggieDolls Sun 14-Jul-19 07:23:23

How hot is 'too hot' though? There isn't a massive difference between July and August temperature wise. The South of France must have been very warm in July.

I'd just avoid the more southern parts of Europe in August.

We booked for August (Portugal) yesterday and there seemed to be lots of availability on all the flights we looked at.

Val5555 Sun 14-Jul-19 08:14:57

Swiss/Austrian Alps should be ok. Mid 20’s max usually.

Canary Islands can be ok too. Late 20’s but usually with a lovely breeze, particularly fuerteventura and Lanzarote. More beach type hols those though

poorbuthappy Sun 14-Jul-19 08:31:20

Loire valley?

TapasForTwo Tue 16-Jul-19 06:01:55

The Azores
Northern Spain

SJane48S Tue 16-Jul-19 08:49:48

Northern France (Brittany or Normandy), fly or take the car. Germany - Bavaria is very pretty. Austria is a good potential - ski/winter resorts have discounted deals on the summer and you could go hiking & lake swimming etc. Innsbruck & Salzburg are both very attractive cities with lots of history & mountain backdrops. Switzerland would be pricey but is gorgeous - the train network is good for travelling around if you fancied a multi city trip - I’ve been a couple of times in summer. The weather is pretty mild & I’ve liked the German speaking region best. Lucerne is great - cobbled old town, good food & a lake with peddalo’s for the kids. You can walk the city walls & there are lake cruises, glacier garden, a nature museum, cable cars & lots of chocolate!
Scanadavia will be cooler than here so depends on how mild you want it! We’ve been to Bergen in Norway in August & while its very attractive & good for outdoorsy stuff, it did rain every day with highs of 12 degrees which isn’t everybody’s idea of a summer holiday! I’ve been to Stockholm in October but would like to go back in summer - there are lots of islands to visit, plenty of museums, interesting old town and a huge amusement park for the kids.

Basically you’ve got loads of very good options - maybe start with how much you want to spend, how you want to get there and just how mild you want it to be!

zafferana Tue 16-Jul-19 13:13:31

We also don't like boiling hot weather in summer, so tend to stick to more northern climes in July and August. Northern France (inc. Normandy and Brittany), Holland and Belgium are all good with lots of stuff to do. The Algarve is supposed to be cooler than the Med in high summer - I think the normal temp down there is high 20s in midsummer. Northern Spain is worth a look too and we had lovely weather the year we went there in July.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »