Talk

Advanced search

Puerto de Mogan, Gran Canaria or Costa Adeje, Tenerife

(11 Posts)
WhatsInAName19 Sat 06-Jul-19 12:43:01

We are hoping to get away for a week late November/early December. We don't want to go long haul so it seems that the Canaries are the best bet for some winter sun. Puerto de Mogan and Costa Adeje seem to keep cropping up in my googling sessions and I wondered if anyone can give me the lowdown on these areas please?

It will be myself, DH and DD 3 years old. We just want somewhere to recharge our batteries. I'm imagining spending the days playing in the pool or on the beach with DD, nice scenery, mooching around pretty villages getting ice creams and coffees, and eating out in the evenings in traditional taverns. Similar to Port de Pollenca in Mallorca, which we love. We will probably hire a car and have a couple of day trips too. I wouldn't mind a hike in one of the national parks since the weather shouldn't be too hot.

Things that we definitely don't like are lots of tourist shops (although I appreciate that there's at least a smattering of these almost everywhere), the everything-with-chips/all day breakfast/football screening/karaoke/disco type towns. Sorry if that comes over as snobby. We're really not, we just like to experience the culture of the place we are visiting and the "lively" resorts are not our scene at all.

Can anybody who has been to the Canaries advise us on either of these places please? Or is there anywhere else that might fit the bill? Thanks in advance!

VirginiaCreeper Sat 06-Jul-19 13:17:14

I don't know Puerto Mogan but I love Costa Adeje.

Lots of lovely beaches and nice restaurants. It is, however, a large tourist resort, it's not a quaint village and probably not what you are looking for.
We've had great holidays there with teenagers.

itsgoingtoofast Sat 06-Jul-19 13:35:12

Both are lovely, I've been a few times to each.

I think Puerto Mogan has the edge for me... so clean and safe. And flat! Lovely shopping and restaurants. From our hotel there was a long pedestrianised road that means you aren't stressing walking alongside a busy road with kids. We had one small quiet road to cross between us and the beach. It's so relaxing.

Adeje is a bit busier, more hilly and spread out from memory. Lots of lovely hotels, shops and restaurants though, and Playa del Duque is a really nice beach.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either!

WhatsInAName19 Sat 06-Jul-19 15:24:26

Thank you both very much for your input, it sounds like both of them are good destinations for us. We don't necessarily need somewhere quaint and small, I don't mind larger villages/towns as long as they have character and a nice, relaxed vibe. The pedestrianised road sounds ideal with a toddler @itsgoingtoofast

itsgoingtoofast Sun 07-Jul-19 22:51:59

It really is great @WhatsInAName19, there is gym equipment on the way down so much entertainment and they are free to run!

All the places are very nice, a couple of tat chops but some really nice clothes/shoe shops etc and a huge supermarket which is fantastic. It's a real mix of tourists, not all British which we loved, and is just a nice level of busy when you have a little one. I'd say adeje is quite a bit busier and has much more of the tat shops/ all day breakfast type places. I can only think of a couple in mogan.

I really wish we were heading back soon!

I can recommend the cordial mogan Valle if you are looking for accommodation, v child friendly and reasonable but it depends on your budget. The radisson across the way looks lovely too!

Have a great time whatever you decide, I'd love to go back soon!

BuffyTy Thu 11-Jul-19 08:00:08

We stayed at the Radisson hotel in Puerto Mogan which was good - modern rooms with a large bed and double sofa bed. Great pool areas for adults and kids. Our DD was into astronomy at the time and we went on this amazing trip into the hills to watch the night sky. Mogan itself is described as a Little Venice, which is an enormous stretch to put it mildly. There are a few nice restaurants and it's in a good position by the sea.

When we visited Costa Adeje, we stayed for a couple of nights in the Abama hotel which was lovely, but very expensive. We then moved to the Villa Maria complex with its own villas and apartments near La Caleta which is a cute fishing village with lovely restaurants right on the sea front. You can easily get to the Adeje beaches by car from here.

Both were good winter holidays.

ValleyoftheHorses Sun 14-Jul-19 08:38:06

@itsgoingtoofast where did you stay?
We’re going to Puerto de Mogan in October.

itsgoingtoofast Sun 14-Jul-19 09:02:37

@ValleyoftheHorses we stayed at the cordial mogan valle. It's apartments but there is a hotel next door too. About a 10/15 minute walk to the beach from memory

ValleyoftheHorses Sun 14-Jul-19 09:25:56

Thank you. We’re at Cordial Mogan Playa so the hotel next door I think. It sounds lovely

Redtartanshoes Sun 14-Jul-19 09:35:04

Currently lying in bed at the Radisson in Puerto Mogan grin

It’s def a lot more quaint and quiet than Costa Adeje, not hugely touristy at all.

Agree with the PP it’s a lovely walk from the hotels down to the marina and beach:

We hired a car at the airport, have done a few trips inc Maspalomas(very busy and touristy) and some sea kyayaking.

I’d def recommend it. Radisson is lovely, make sure you ask for a room that gets the afternoon sun, the balconies are lovely to sit out on:

Nogodsnomasters Sun 14-Jul-19 10:07:14

Try amadores in gran canaria, it's a bus ride away or short cheap taxi from mogan and Puerto Rico if you want to try both of those, amadores is quiet and has a stunning beach. I've been twice and loved it both times.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »