Talk

Advanced search

Short haul that’s actually quick?

(48 Posts)
Postmanbear Thu 27-Jun-19 17:16:31

Just spent time in Tuscany and it took the best part of a day to get there. Our fault as we had bags to check and a car hire to pick up but considering the flight was only 2 hours it took most of the day.
We want to book somewhere that’s a short flight and then quick and easy public transport to a city at the other end. Probably going in September. Any good suggestions? Thanks

TheDropBear Thu 27-Jun-19 17:25:20

Barcelona is approx 2-2.5 hour flight depending on where you're flying from. There's a regular train from the airport into the centre which takes about half an hour. Lovely city and a beach.

Apolloanddaphne Thu 27-Jun-19 17:36:55

Amsterdam. It took us less time to get there from Edinburgh than it does to get to London and the transport links when you get there are good.

PinkPeonyPlease Thu 27-Jun-19 17:38:39

Depends where you live of course.
Amalfi coast is pretty accessible from Naples.

Postmanbear Thu 27-Jun-19 17:49:18

We live close to an airport that flies to most European destinations so it’s just the ease at the other end. We have been to Prague, krakow, Barcelona, Rome, Amsterdam and probably thinking of another Spain city. I would love to go to Budapest but we only have 3 nights available.

PenguinsRabbits Thu 27-Jun-19 18:31:26

Venice especially if go to Marco Polo Airport.

sar302 Thu 27-Jun-19 19:11:33

I can recommend Sweden. Very short flight, and beautiful.

Yukka Thu 27-Jun-19 19:30:15

Budapest is fine for 3 nights it's really not a big city and weather lovely in September. 30 mins transfer on their side, hand luggage, direct flights etc
Rome - you really need at least 5 nights as the landscape is vast.

Majorca - palma old town is lovely but not really a city break. Nice place to hang out though.

CurlyhairedAssassin Thu 27-Jun-19 20:00:12

It surely must depend on what time your flight is? confused And how close you are to the home airport? And accommodation at other end? When we’ve gone to Majorca we’ve got the first flight of the day (6.15am ish), and been on the beach at Puerto Pollensa by lunchtime. It makes for an early start but my kids have always been easy to wake up once I wake them and tell them it’s holiday time!

CurlyhairedAssassin Thu 27-Jun-19 20:04:38

Car hire can make a massive difference. The way some companies do it they end up with big queues. And some also have shuttle minibuses to a depot off the airport.

We found a company in Majorca that was the quickest car hire ever (if pre-booked). Collect cases, go to multi-storey, find car, drive off. Arrive at destination less than an hour later.

Oh, just re read and saw that you only have 3 days available. Scrap everything I said. grin

AnnaDine Thu 27-Jun-19 20:41:47

Nice - my favourite commute (I had a 6 week contract in Monaco once upon a time!). Cannes is nearby - train service brilliant and cheap and September would be lovely. St Paul de Vance is worth a visit too!

rookiemere Thu 27-Jun-19 20:54:46

We went to Budapest for 3 nights it's a perfect length of time and the weather is perfect in September. We got a taxi from the airport to the centre, think it took about 30 minutes and wasn't too expensive.
If you do go make sure to book a wine tasting at Faust's cellars - it's amazing.

wobytide Thu 27-Jun-19 20:55:44

Second Budapest, we arrived late Friday and left Monday afternoon and yes there was more we wish we could do but still see plenty in 3 nights there. It's very compact and easy to get around the sights

nooddsocksforme Thu 27-Jun-19 21:01:13

Girona- small , beautiful and compact . Short flight, then 15 minute journey in a taxi to the city. We flew from Scotland and got into out accommodation at 10.30 am

midsomermurderess Thu 27-Jun-19 21:30:56

In my experience that's usually the way. 2 hours hanging around the airport. Queuing for your car or using public transport to get to the place you want to be. By the time you get to your final destination, it is the best part of a day.My best quite recent experience was Crete to Athens. Minimal security, off the lane, on the metro.

PenguinsRabbits Thu 27-Jun-19 21:35:09

When we've gone to Venice we've got 6am flight and been in Venice at 9am going down Grande Canal on a waterbus.

buttermilkwaffles Thu 27-Jun-19 21:47:13

La Rochelle, bus from airport every 20 minutes, 15 minute journey and it only costs Euro 1.30 for a ticket. Very short flight from UK too.

Or Girona as suggested above is another good option and a beautiful city.

buttermilkwaffles Thu 27-Jun-19 21:47:58

www.larochelle.aeroport.fr/en/access-and-car-park/bus/

Postmanbear Thu 27-Jun-19 22:06:19

Thank you for all the suggestions, I’ll get looking at flights

LIZS Thu 27-Jun-19 22:11:18

Airports in Austria and Switzerland are very close to city/resorts. Ie Innsbruck, Salzburg or Basel. Eurostar gets you to central stations.

Ellmau Sun 07-Jul-19 18:49:33

What about Verona?

EveryDayIsLikeMonday Sun 07-Jul-19 19:06:27

Malaga. Quick flight and great train service to the city. Torremolinos and Benalmadena are also quick and easy to get to.

Leggyfrog Sun 07-Jul-19 19:09:41

I've had a few people recommend Malaga too for a weekend break - which I was surprised about as i don't think of as a weekend destination - but all have loved it.

CarolDanvers Sun 07-Jul-19 19:11:05

Malaga. Beautiful historical city with a beach. Train just outside the airport - twenty/thirty minutes to city centre or go the other way on the same train line to Torremolinos or Benalmadena.

CarolDanvers Sun 07-Jul-19 19:12:10

Three of us recommending Malaga at the same time. It's a sign OP smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »