Talk

Advanced search

Turkey.....the good things and the bad things

(8 Posts)
FairyOnTheChristmasTree Thu 26-Jul-07 11:49:51

I am planning to visit the Side resort in Turkey in September as a lone traveller. I will be staying at the Can Garden Holiday Lodges and was just wondering if anyone had any tips for Turkey and who could tell me the good things about Turkey and any bad things or warnings.

allgonebellyup Thu 26-Jul-07 18:06:44

very hot!

when we went to look at the markets we found the attention from turkish men unbearable, they were all grabbing and stroking us, staring like mad and very lecherous, yuk! honestly its as if theyd never seen women before!

and i was 16 at time so that makes it worse and more lewd!

allgonebellyup Thu 26-Jul-07 18:08:00

sorry didnt meant to be negative but please be careful if youre alone, the men there really do grab and pull at you, so keep away from the markets!!!

agalch Thu 26-Jul-07 18:08:06

Good thread Fairy.We are going to Turkey in October.Does anyone know how hot it's likely to be in October?

Egg Thu 26-Jul-07 18:10:02

We went to Turkey three times in the last ten years. Loved it every time. Have heard Side is beautiful. Unwanted attention can be a problem, esp if you are a lone lady, but I think it is more of an annoyance than anything, prob best not to wander round in short skirt and bikini top like I used to!

It is lovely and hot, but September should be perfectly bearable.

BocoBeak Thu 26-Jul-07 18:10:26

We went last October - was really hot still - probably high 20s, but cooler in the evenings. We had a really good time, people were very friendly and nice - so easy to take the dds to restaurants in the evenings as all very child friendly.

FairyOnTheChristmasTree Fri 27-Jul-07 06:54:23

Hi thanks all for your replies!

I'm a little worried about the unwanted attention especially as i'll be alone but I think I'll be able to handle it. Is it just in the markets they are like this? TBH, I'm going for the sun and perhaps a few museums and theatre visits anyway so it will be rare I venture from the hotel. Did you get angry with the men when they grabbed you? I'm a little worried now hahaha!

Do many of the people in Turkey speak English or is it best to take a phrase book?

wannaBe Fri 27-Jul-07 07:15:00

I went to side 12 years ago so I imagine it's probably changed somewhat since then. But it was a lovely place and the locals were very friendly. I went with my sister and her then bf and the local men were in awe of him saying that "ah! you've got two wives!" . We did find that when me and my sister went out on our own we were stared at a lot more by the locals but no-one tried to grab either of us.

The men are very flerty though and it's worth remembering that if you get chatted up the likelyhood is that they do the same with everyone.

I loved it there and I would love to go back some day.

The only thing I really hated about turkey was the toilets. The sewage system in turkey is such that it can't handle certain things, and as consequence you can't put toilet paper in the toilet - you have to put it in a bin next to the toilet, it's horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now