Talk

Advanced search

Where can we go on Romania that's not packed with tourists?

(19 Posts)
Gone2far Thu 13-Jun-19 18:51:52

And yes, I know we are tourists. We're a week into a 3 week holiday, having been in Bucharest, Brasov, and now Sibiu, and feeling fed up with the last 2 places being packed with tourists. I thought they would be more off the beaten track but I couldn't be more wrong.
Any thoughts of ways to save our holiday? Short of going home.

Xiaoxiong Thu 13-Jun-19 18:58:29

Romanian friend says have you been to Cluj or Sighisoara?

Gone2far Thu 13-Jun-19 19:06:08

I thought Sighisoara might be even worse

Xiaoxiong Thu 13-Jun-19 19:16:26

She says also go down to one of the spa hotels on the Black Sea and relax, have cheap spa treatments and eat seafood!

managedmis Thu 13-Jun-19 19:20:36

Sounds amazing

whataboutbob Thu 13-Jun-19 19:29:48

Bucharest? Jasi ( pronounced Click?
It’s unusual to go to Romania for three weeks. Are you travelling independently? You could take a train to Sofia in Bulgaria, although I’ve never been but it might be different.

whataboutbob Thu 13-Jun-19 19:31:14

How the heck did that click get in there. Pronounced “ Yash”.

mockorangey Thu 13-Jun-19 19:40:02

Painted monasteries and Merry Cemetery.
Timisoara.

Gone2far Thu 13-Jun-19 19:50:39

Thanks all. I'm tempted by timisoara, but Moldova sounds good and don't want to spend all my time travelling. We're doing it independently, which usually works well but we're really disappointed with transylvania.

firsttimemum30 Thu 13-Jun-19 19:57:59

I was there a few months ago with my Romanian partner and I would also recommend Iasi and Rasnov is lovely.

thanksamillion Thu 13-Jun-19 20:03:04

Iasi is nice but go over into Moldova and you'll definitely be away from tourists. It's not as pretty as Romania but really interesting because of the Soviet history. I used to live just over the border and really miss it!

Gone2far Thu 13-Jun-19 20:41:34

How would we get by with just English in Moldova? My dh wants to go

Gone2far Thu 13-Jun-19 20:42:49

Do you mean Rasnov citadel firsttime?

whataboutbob Thu 13-Jun-19 21:53:06

I’m sorry to hear that about Transylvania. In the 90s I worked as a volunteer in a Bucharest hospital and took a week out to travel round Transylvania by train. It was enchanting, Barely any westerners around.

thanksamillion Thu 13-Jun-19 22:56:48

You'll be fine with English. Young people mostly speak it especially in Chisinau. Older people/in the countryside not so much but it'll be fine. Generally people are very friendly. How are you getting around? If you're in a hire car you won't be able to take it over the border.

thanksamillion Thu 13-Jun-19 23:00:46

There are protests in Chisinau at the moment but just be sensible and maybe avoid the parliament area. The tourist info office on the main street is worth going to for help/plans. Moldova isn't massively set up for tourists but they're working really hard on it so you'll get a good welcome!

BlackLambAndGreyFalcon Fri 12-Jul-19 19:50:49

Definitely Moldova - love chisinau, been twice. We found that there were less tourists in Iasi, timisoara and constanta - despite being on the black sea coast and where you think the tourists would be - definitely more tourists in Transylvania.

MrsSchadenfreude Fri 12-Jul-19 21:49:02

I imagine you’re home now, but I would stay in one of the old German villages in Transylvania. There are some nice hotels, pretty villages and lovely countryside. Cluj is also very different - feels quite Hungarian. Constanța is worth a few days, or head south to Eforie or Vama Veche.

I don’t think there’s much in Chisinau apart from the Cricova wine cellars.

sparkler10 Fri 12-Jul-19 21:50:31

Iasi

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »