Talk

Advanced search

Is Durinell to young for a 12 and 15 year old?

(12 Posts)
Twisique Tue 11-Jun-19 12:35:57

If it is then what is the next stage holiday after Durinell?

Ricekrispie22 Tue 11-Jun-19 16:49:42

Definitely not! There are several thrill rides.

KickBishopBrennanUpTheArse Wed 12-Jun-19 06:21:36

I was there in half term with a 17 and 14 yo. We had a great time. Plenty of rides that were more than exciting enough. The 17yo refused to go on falcon!

The water park definitely has lots to offer older ones too.

We had a day out in Amsterdam and a bike ride to the beach. I wanted to ride to schevingen but got outvoted.

I think at that age they'd enjoy exploring on their own too. Mine are that bit older and were happy to stay in bed and enjoy the WiFi grin

Twisique Sun 16-Jun-19 18:35:04

Thank you! I am looking at either Center Parcs or Durinell for a holiday with a day trip to Amsterdam.

Princessphoebe75 Wed 26-Jun-19 22:39:23

I'm looking at Durinell too OP, in August, does anyone know what the weather is usually like? How expensive is it for food and drink, what kind of budget would I need for a family of 6, 2 adults, 2 teens and 2 primary age? Oooops sorry OP didn't mean to hijack your thread blush

weebarra Wed 26-Jun-19 22:45:09

There are about 4 thrill rides and there are some really good ones in the water park.
It's lovely and easily safe enough for them to go around by themselves. Wassenaar is nice too.

wobytide Thu 27-Jun-19 09:27:56

Can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it. There is a big Aldi store down the road. Pizzas and burgers were all less than 10E from memory, beers 3 or 4E but again it's up to you if you buy n pub or have them at your lodge.

In the town there were plenty of food places and pancake shops, again 10E or so for a pancake

Madcats Thu 27-Jun-19 12:00:31

DD loved Duinrell aged 11. I would be happy to let her explore with a friend/older sibling. Hopefully they will have opened up the outside part of the waterpark this year - it was crazy-busy most of the time we were there (but we had a free pass). We also took our own bikes. It made getting around a lot easier.

We had some really cold and wet days at the end of August last year, but we had enough warm days to make it enjoyable. It was right after a hefty heatwave - all the airbnb's we also visited had gone out and bought mobile aircon.

We bought a bit of food from the Duinrell supermarket, but the restaurants didn't look particularly tempting so we just went to the local Aldi/Lidls. I seem to remember that they wouldn't accept Mastercard (luckily we had a visa debit and a bit of cash), but that might have been somewhere different.

Largely because I'd never used it before, we decided to come back via Eurotunnel. The weather was so dreadful that day that we decided we'd better just head for Calais. Despite being booked on a mid-afternoon train, the check-in gave an option of getting on a much earlier train. I doubt if we would get that option with a ferry, so that will definitely be our plan if we travel again.

Daffodil101 Mon 01-Jul-19 23:55:15

I’m
Going to disagree and say I think it’s a bit tame. We took ours when they were 13/8 and my thrill seeking 13 year old was not impressed!

haggistramp Tue 02-Jul-19 00:07:50

Ooh marking this thread is 😁 going in september with an 8 and 11 year old. Worried about weather. Sorry for hijacking your thread but does anyone know what the evening entertainment is like, or if there is any?

GinasGirl Tue 02-Jul-19 12:15:24

If you're at Duinrell pop into The Hague, there are some amazing museums and art galleries. I lived there for ten years and still miss it (and preferred it to Amsterdam)

FoodieToo Wed 17-Jul-19 21:09:16

Have to disagree about restaurants.Both the onsite restaurants ( called La Place ) and many of the restaurants in Wasenaar are fab!
Great range of food in La Place , lovely freshly made sandwiches, pizzas, fresh lemonades etc.
In Wasenaar you have La Scala pizzeria which we love. There is another pizzeria which is also lovely , can't remember the name. And Luciano's ice cream - best in the world and only one euro twenty per scoop! Price wise it's about the same as Dublin , maybe slightly cheaper than London.
We are heading for our 4th trip in October - kids age from 8 to 16. All LOVE the place.
If you are after Alton Towers style thrill rids the kids might be disappointed but it's a different type of theme park with the advantage of very little queues.
Water park is the best I have been in!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »