Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

car hire in spain? what car will i need for 3 suitcases and one child suitcase??

(21 Posts)
alibo Mon 23-Jul-07 21:36:21

want to hire a car for our weeks holiday, there will be 3 adults and one child. am not bothered about having a large car, but want to make sure we can fit all the luggage in the boot! obviously, the larger the car, the more expensive it will be. any ideas?

aloha Mon 23-Jul-07 21:37:50

That's a LOT of suitcases for one week in 40degree heat! I think you and your dp and your child could all fit everything in one suitcase tbh.

alibo Mon 23-Jul-07 21:45:15

Will still probably end up with 3 cases as i am travelling with my mum, aunt and 3yr old ds, so will all be packing seperatly and meeting at airport.

tearinghairout Mon 23-Jul-07 21:46:48

Don't worry too much about the little symbols they use. We hired the smallest car (Fiat Punto) & it took two large cases & two small - just! If the cases are in the car just to & from the airport to hotel you'll manage anyway (as opposed to a driving-around-staying-in-different-places hol). If you do find it's too small, you could probably upgrade at the carhire place anyway.

aloha Mon 23-Jul-07 21:54:18

And remember, you have a spare seat so you can put one case there, and your ds's little toy case under his feet in the footwell. Tell them to pack light!

saggermakersknockturnalley Mon 23-Jul-07 21:55:28

We had a Ford Focus the last time we went to Spain. - 2 adults and 2 big kids.

Hulababy Mon 23-Jul-07 21:56:38

We have ordered a Scenic for 4 adults and one 5yo in France next week. Really hoping all the cases will fit!

maisym Mon 23-Jul-07 21:58:00

should be fine hula - they have a big boot & 5 proper size seats.

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Mon 23-Jul-07 22:05:00

Do not use Europa Gold Hire, formerly known as Malaga car hire. They rook you for a full tank of petrol. If you only use it to get your villa and some local trips they make 20/30 Euro from you.

This may possibly be the case for all car hire firms in Spain, but we were just surprised.

We did this 3 years ago and did not remember being rooked.

LIZS Mon 23-Jul-07 22:08:15

In cars like a Scenic you can slide the rear seats forwards individually gaining more than enough room for an extra case ! Almost certain we got 3 large cases plus some in the back of our old one.

Hulababy Mon 23-Jul-07 22:09:54

I am hoping so! Had to have 3 proper seats in back as DD will be in car seat, and then me and MIl either side. Will have 4 larger cases plus hand luggage with us as minimum.

alibo Mon 23-Jul-07 22:26:39

mmm... was originally thinking of a small car like a clio, etc to keep costs down; then thought about the luggage as well as bums on seats!! tearinghairout, did you really get all that in a punto? was the boot a decent size? think something like a focus would be ok, but the price jumps from about £110 to £160.

tearinghairout Mon 23-Jul-07 22:31:39

Yep, had to put the two large cases on their sides and fit one small in front and one on top. We slid the back seat forward to its furthest knees-under-chin position. If necessary, could the backseat people have a case on their lap? As I said, if it's just for the to-and-from-airport trips? The carhire people seem to cover themselves, in the blurb it said two cases - I was worried we wouldn't fit them all in, but DH said 'It'll be fine' and he was right.(For a change.)

WendyWeber Mon 23-Jul-07 22:38:10

Which airport? If Malaga can recommend malagacar.com.

We had a Ford C-Max with 4 large adults and 4 cases and 3 backpacks, and then a Zafira with (briefly) 6 adults, 6 suitcases and 5 backpacks.

For your party Ford Focus should be fine (they have a huge boot) - £110 for a week in high season.

WendyWeber Mon 23-Jul-07 22:39:58

They charge you for a half-tank of fuel (about 26 euros IIRC) and are very good and helpful - meet you at the terminal and take you to their depot 5 mins away.

No good if not at malaga though I don't think!

alibo Mon 23-Jul-07 22:46:52

we want it from mahon airport, menorca. used carjet.com couple of years ago for majorca, but their prices seem higher this time. will get a few more quotes i think.

alibo Mon 23-Jul-07 22:48:53

hula, think your scenic will be fine; my sister has one, seems to fit allsorts in there!! (there is also a decent amount of floor space in the back for small things).

Skribble Mon 23-Jul-07 23:20:30

We had a punto and managed to fit in 2 largeish and 2 med, just. We had to put the two med ones in the back seat between the kids. The two large cases and two hand luggage bags fille dthe boot.

Hulababy Tue 24-Jul-07 19:20:55

Good to know alibo, thanks.

MrsSpoon Wed 25-Jul-07 16:33:19

We use this hire company in Spain. They seem to be a broker, you don't necessarily get your car from the same hire company every time you book with them. Last time they got us a car from Goldcar and they were really good, I'd hardly used any petrol and was supposed to be returning the car with a full tank (short break so got the car on a full-full basis), I couldn't find a petrol station so ended up returning the car with just over half a tank and they refunded more than half the money we paid them for the tank of fuel.

We had a Scenic (2 adults, 2 children), Ford Focus Estate (2 adults, 2 children and an apartment to furnish) and last time a little Lancia thing (2 adults only). Each time we had fantastic service and the cars were just right for our needs.

MrsSpoon Wed 25-Jul-07 16:34:22

Ooops, just noticed you've tried Car Jet already, sorry, ignore what I've said then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now