Talk

Advanced search

liquids on plane

(20 Posts)
flowerybeanbag Fri 20-Jul-07 17:02:35

I am taking DS who will be 3 months to Ireland end August - haven't been on a plane for a while v confused about the security rules.
What's the deal with taking liquids, anyone know how much you can take, what receptacles can be used, will I be ok taking sealed small cartons of formula and an empty bottle if he will need a feed on the plane? Or will I have to taste it and therefore no point taking a carton?
If anyone can help would be much appreciated.

Roskva Fri 20-Jul-07 17:43:00

When dd and I flew from Bristol airport earlier this year, the security people took my unopened bottle of evian off me, and made me taste the water I had in dd's bottles, but not the formula powder. They didn't make me taste the ella's house squidgy packs of puree I also had with me, or a jar of baby food, so I can't say for certain how they will treat cartons of formula. Flying back from Toulouse airport, they didn't make me taste anything and let me keep my evian (they were also a lot more helpful, folding my buggy and putting it on the conveyor belt, then lifting it off and opening it up for me - the bloke in Bristol made me do it myself with a baby in one arm until I said I can't lift a buggy while carrying a baby, and would he like to hold the baby while I lift the buggy )

Roskva Fri 20-Jul-07 17:45:21

Oh, and if you take water in baby bottles, be aware the cabin pressure may make them leak, even with the disc thingies in - I ended up with enough water for 2 feeds in 3 bottles.

flowerybeanbag Fri 20-Jul-07 19:06:42

at unhelpful man at Bristol airport!
Maybe I might be better making bottle up before security, that way if I need to taste it I won't have to open a carton and spill formula all over the security desk
Good tip about the cabin pressure as well - thanks Roskva

Roskva Fri 20-Jul-07 19:54:01

I think they're used to people spilling things as they do the taste test I spilled water over the desk. The other thing with cartons of formula is opening them, bearing in mind that you can't take scissors, etc. Also, I would take enough for at least one extra feed, in case of delays.

dassie Fri 20-Jul-07 20:17:13

This is what I did last weekend -

I took 4 bottles with me (all sterile). I put evian in one and left the other 3 empty.

I then took 2 cartons with me. If they had asked me to taste I would have decanted them into the bottles and tasted.

I also took powder formula and if they had taken the carton away and made me get rid of the water in the bottle, I would have just bought evian the other side of security (or a carton if they sell them).

As it turned out, they asked if I had liquids, I told them I had baby formula and they just waved me through.

dassie Fri 20-Jul-07 20:17:35

They have scissors on the plane

lilolilmanchester Fri 20-Jul-07 20:32:15

Given that it's such a short flight, couldn't you feed DS just before you depart to avoid the hassle?

flowerybeanbag Fri 20-Jul-07 21:28:35

absolutely, will plan to feed beforehand, but will still want to bring spares as although flight is short, could well be delays and by the time we have gone through security, waited to board, taken off, had the flight, landed and got our baggage, he could well need feeding again, and I don't want to be caught short.
lots of helpful stuff thanks ladies

Desiderata Fri 20-Jul-07 21:30:04

You will probably be asked to taste it, although it depends very much on the airport.

A sealed carton will be confiscated - so just make some up before you go through security and be prepared to have a swig!

flowerybeanbag Fri 20-Jul-07 21:40:33

yum!

cornsilk Fri 20-Jul-07 21:43:14

We had to bin all liquids going through security at MCR. Don't know about babies bottles though.

Jojay Fri 20-Jul-07 21:47:25

I had cartons of formula and empty bottles when flying to Mallorca - they made me decant the carton into the bottle and taste it, so it's probably worth doing this beforehand.

Have a lovely lovely time!!

flowerybeanbag Fri 20-Jul-07 21:54:57

thanks Jojay will do!

jaz2 Fri 20-Jul-07 21:57:53

We flew from Gatwick in June. Were warned by friends who weren't allowed to take thru cartions of babymilk - unless they opened and tested them (ie pointless taking them). So we put water in sterile bottles and took powdered milk seperately. They made me taste the water.

Rules limiting liquids to 100ml don't apply to baby drinks.

I put everything in liquid form in a transparent plastic bag, though we had to have a number as the ones you are supposed to take are stupidly small if you are trying to fit baby bottles in them.

Do remember to take the cap thing off before you try to taste the milk - I was in such a fluster that I forgot - and felt a right prat when no liquid would come out - then again I'm often forgetting to do that when I give bottles to my son - who sucks frantically trying to get something out .

dassie Fri 20-Jul-07 22:38:03

You should offer him the bottle on take off and landing to ease the pressure - like when you used to get given sweets to suck on a plane

of course, that could just be water

lilolilmanchester Fri 20-Jul-07 23:04:18

am flying on business on Tues & Wed, will try to remember to ask for you. Where are you flying from (tho that shouldn't make any difference)

flowerybeanbag Sat 21-Jul-07 09:21:53

thanks lilolil we are flying from Stansted.
Good tip dassie, will make sure he is sucking at the crucial times
Jaz2 lolol will take off cap

lilolilmanchester Wed 25-Jul-07 09:21:09

Just checked at Heathrow airport for you (they tell me that the rules will be the same at Stansted)
Baby milk exempt from the 100ml rule, you can take what is needed for the flight. However, they are still asking you to taste it. Once through x-ray, you can buy liquids in the shops, so if there is a Boots through security at Stansted, I guess you could buy a carton if you were concerned about not having enough?

Hulababy Wed 25-Jul-07 09:23:25

Jet 2's advice is that you will be expected to taste any formula milk you have with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now