Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Passport Query

(10 Posts)
Trix11 Thu 19-Jul-07 10:37:59

We are traveling to Spain in August and my 5 year old sons passport is due to expire in October. Will he be ok to travel, my dh thinks there should be six months left on the passport at time of travel. I phoned the passport office who did not know!!!

Does anyone on here know?

NatalieJane Thu 19-Jul-07 10:41:46

It is always advisable to have at least 6 month left on it on your return. I think you will be able to travel on it, but it is if something went wrong over there, it gives you a bit of time to get sorted - if you needed to.

My DH's old one would have run out in October, we are going to Menorca next month, and so he has renewed his.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 19-Jul-07 10:42:54

I think it has changed for travelling in Europe so you don't need a minimum amount left.

Trix11 Thu 19-Jul-07 10:44:39

I was hoping not because its £40.00 to renew, does anyone now for sure.

Thanks for your advise

Pamina Thu 19-Jul-07 10:45:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 19-Jul-07 10:45:53

I've found this page on the passport agency's website.

Lilymaid Thu 19-Jul-07 10:48:57

My DH went skiing last year in France with a passport that would run out the day after his return. The passport officer at Gatwick asked him when he would be returning - DH had forgotten it was running out.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 19-Jul-07 10:49:30

Have now found details on the fco website. It suggests the passport just needs to be valid for the time you are there.

It says this

Passport validity

A valid British passport must be held for entry to and exit from Spain. There is no minimum passport validity requirement but you should ensure that your passport is valid for the proposed period of your stay.

so I think you should be all right .

Trix11 Thu 19-Jul-07 10:51:10

Thank you Idris and of course everyone else. One less thing for me to have to sort out

Ellbell Thu 19-Jul-07 10:51:17

You'll be fine, especially as it's your ds's passport (and presumably yours and your dh's are up-to-date) and you're only going to be in the EU. Might have been more of an issue if you were going to a country which needed a visa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now