Talk

Advanced search

kephalonia - where or where? Lassi, Scala, Fiskardo or Souvranata???

(18 Posts)
merlot Wed 18-Jul-07 10:15:13

Hi guys

Its that time of the year again, and this time I am booking last minute (aagh!!).

Have had some fantastic hols courtesy of you lot before, so I know you wont let me down

We have decided on Kephalonia - and are only going for 7 days , but we will want to tour a bit, but will also like to chill on the beach. Lots of last minutes places in Scala but is that too remote from everywhere else??

I like lovely views, a little greek village for tavernas in the evening and a stroll. We will hire a car. Kids 10 and 3 (still needs a buggy as he has special needs) Lassi Scala and Souvranata (sp??) are the ones coming up most on last minute buys

Over to you... Many Thanks...

Nbg Wed 18-Jul-07 10:17:06

Oh I am a huge fan of Scala.
Have been twice and its just lovely.
Gorgeous beach and so so friendly.

I think it is slightly quieter than the other resorts but its just so nice.

merlot Wed 18-Jul-07 10:18:40

Hi Nbg - Yes, I really fancy Scala it looks lovely - but did you see much else of the island whilst you were there?

Nbg Wed 18-Jul-07 10:20:37

Yes we visited Lassi and Fiskardo too. Again both lovely places.

We did a boat trip around some other places which escape my memory.

I guess if you want somewhere a bit more lively then Lassi might be better suited.

nogoes Wed 18-Jul-07 10:21:55

I went to Lassi which is supposed to be lively but lively by Kefalonian standards is not the same as lively in Ibiza or the like. Gorgeous restaurants. Wherever you go you will have a fab time, it is a beautiful island.

debbiewebweb Wed 18-Jul-07 12:35:41

Wr went to scala but it was pre 'captain correlli' so not sure how much its changed, but it was gorgeous, I've done a greece quite a few times and I think it's my favourite. We hired a car and did some driving round the island too - fab. Am dead jealous.

chopchopbusybusy Wed 18-Jul-07 12:47:38

Stayed in Poros pre children. Very quiet. Stony beach. Good enough selection of tavernas etc. Haven't seen this resort again in any UK tour ops brochure since. We did visit Skala which was nice. Fairly quiet, but busier than Poros and nicer beach than Poros. Visited Fiskardo, very picturesque, but found it strangely unfriendly. I suspect because it is popular as a day trip destination. I would definitely go back, it was probably the most relaxing two weeks I've ever had.

merlot Wed 18-Jul-07 15:54:29

thanks for all your views - sounds like I cant go wrong?

Anyone know how long it takes to get from one end of the island to the other?

lillypie Wed 18-Jul-07 16:06:59

Hi i stayed in Scala last year and it was beautiful.Make sure you visit Assos,it,s gorgeous and the capital Argostoli is worth a visit.I'm so envious it one of the nicest holidays I've ever had

prettybird Wed 18-Jul-07 16:07:57

Have a look at http://www.ionianislandholidays.com/. I don't know if they have any deals to the areas you want to go to at the time that you want, but we have used them three times to go to Meganisi (just back from two weeks there) and the service you get from them is excelent.

IntergalacticWalrus Wed 18-Jul-07 16:11:10

Oooh, we are going in SDeptember to Lassi. I cannae wait!

I went to Kef about 10 years ago Tis beautiful,

Lassi is inb a good location because you arte close to Argostoli, and you are in a good place to explore.

We stayed in Lixouri when we went before. It wa slovely there, and was very much a locals town.

merlot Wed 18-Jul-07 19:59:22

prettybird - that looks gorgeous, but expensive

prettybird Thu 19-Jul-07 12:47:39

I've never yet paid full price - but then Meganisi is perhaps not the most popular of destinations, so have got good deals.

merlot Thu 19-Jul-07 17:22:24

MMm - I am sorely tempted. There are some beautiful properties there.

Meganisi is lovely - we took a little boat there from Lefkas - I hadnt realised you could stay on the island!

greensleeves Thu 19-Jul-07 17:27:35

Scala is nice

Myrtos has an amazing beach

We stayed in Kato Katelios, very quiet and pretty and a nice beach, and used buses to get around to other places.

Toothyboy Thu 19-Jul-07 20:34:42

Am very . Kephalonia is lovely. We stayed in Lourdas pre-children; Skala was a bit busier and definitely where I would choose if we were going to the island with children.

prettybird Fri 20-Jul-07 09:06:26

We stay in the Meganisi Hotel - up in Katomeri, which means there is a walk to any beach unless you hire a car (although there is bus service that costs 50c to a number of the beaches).

It's a great family run hotel. The deal is B&B - but breakfast is really relaxed and lasts until about 11am (continental style: Orange juice, bread, boiled eggs, bread, yoghurt & honey, melon, and you can also ask for fried egg on toast). Dinner is cooked by the owner's parents - his mum does the kitchen and his dad mans the "grill". We end up rarely eating elsewhere as it is so relaxed and the food is good. Prices are very reasonable - not that you know, as there is no price list, but the bill at the end of the week is a reasonable surprise!

There's nothing much to do on Meganisi expcet chill though!

libralady Fri 03-Aug-07 13:45:19

Hi,

I went to Kefalonia back in June with my 3 year old. It was my 4th time on the island and each time I have stayed in the Lassi/Fanari area of the island.
IMHO it is Greece's best kept secret. Cannot speak highly enough of the island. Lassi has some fabulous restaurants including Ionio and of course Oskars on the Fanari coastal road. My son loved it there watching the Greek dancing whilst eating his tea and then he joined in. Skala is beautiful with a lovely beach but there is quite a transfer time there from the airport.
Wherever you stay I would highly recommend you hire a car so you can explore the island.
If you want any further info, let me know.
Whatever you do, have a fantastic holiday and I am soooo jealous!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now