Talk

Advanced search

France - "tween-ager friendly", but budget doesn't stretch to club med. Ideas?

(22 Posts)
twelveyeargap Mon 16-Jul-07 23:41:14

Hello

Hoping the mumsnetters can help. Want to book a holiday for me, DH, DD1 (12) and DD2 (2 months). We're thining France, as neither DH nor DD2 can stand really hot weather so Southern Spain, Greece etc are out. Open to suggestions though.

DD1 is going through a "sulky teen" type thing at the moment so we HAVE to go somewhere where she'll meet other English speaking kids or she'll have a face on her for the whole time. (Tempting to send her to her Dad and go without her tbh - it's that bad!)

With that in mind, I need to find a resort type place. Maybe with a teen club, or perhaps just somewhere we know there'll be lots of girls for her to meet and be sulky with. Budget doesn't stretch to Club Med unfortunately. We can spend about £2k on travel and accom. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tortington Mon 16-Jul-07 23:46:12

are you up for camping or caravan?

if so - i suggest les mouettes

WendyWeber Mon 16-Jul-07 23:48:40

I saw an ad for Mark Warner on Saturday that said they're doing 40% off?

Will google...

twelveyeargap Mon 16-Jul-07 23:50:05

Hmm... think I'd prefer a house, but I'll look into it, thanks Custardo. DH is always going on about how much he liked camping in France as a kid.

Oh, didn't mention that DH doesn't drive so am also trying to avoid lots of driving. It's no fun for me if I have to drive for hours. (And build in BF breaks!)

Not asking for much am I?

WendyWeber Mon 16-Jul-07 23:51:27

See here

WendyWeber Mon 16-Jul-07 23:52:00

Oh dear, cheapest is Greece, sorry.

twelveyeargap Mon 16-Jul-07 23:55:17

Thanks anyway.

WendyWeber Mon 16-Jul-07 23:56:22

Oh, what about Center Parcs in Holland/Belgium? They're supposed to be good and cheaper than UK - I'll have a look, hang on a sec...

WendyWeber Mon 16-Jul-07 23:59:32

DFDS website (ferry from Newcastle)

WendyWeber Tue 17-Jul-07 00:01:36

centerparcs europe website (in English)

lapsedrunner Tue 17-Jul-07 06:51:30

How about the alps, they have some great family deals http://www.esprit-holidays.co.uk

Surfermum Tue 17-Jul-07 07:21:18

We've stayed in a caravan on Keycamp type campsites for the past couple of years. We have dsd (11) and dd (4), both of them loved it and dsd made loads of friends. We went with Matthews Holidays, but if you book through Keycamp they do have kids clubs.

The first year we went to Brittany, which we loved. We went further south to the Vendee last year. Both drives were about the same - we got the 7.30 am ferry and were in the pool by 4.00 both times (we live 10 mins from the port this end).

twelveyeargap Tue 17-Jul-07 11:34:08

That Esprit Teen-Rangers thing looks like the sort of thing to keep DD1 amused. Will need to get over my own holiday = beach thing of course.

WendyWeber Tue 17-Jul-07 12:05:51

lapsedrunner, thanks so much for that esprit link - I have a 19-yr-old DS hanging around on a sort of gap year and not quite knowing what to do with himself and the esprit page has a jobs link - it sounds like a great company to work for. He's good with kids, very sociable and enjoys cooking so he's going to go to an open day, see what the jobs sound like and take it from there! (He's going to pass on the Lapland elves though, he's a big 6-footer and they are required to frolic at the airport )

Brilliant - you are a star!

Lilymaid Tue 17-Jul-07 12:08:25

When we have had a solitary teen we have always arranged for a friend to accompany him - this meant there was always someone else to do something with that wasn't embarassingly old and parental.

chopchopbusybusy Tue 17-Jul-07 12:19:16

We have done Center Parcs in France, which I know is not to everyones taste, but we enjoyed it. Had a VIP villa which had a huge whirlpool bath and a steam cubicle. Kitchen was well enough equipped too if you want to self cater. Much cheaper than Center Parcs in UK.
We have also stayed at a Pierre et Vacances apartment in Brittany. They have loads of resort type places in France. Much cheaper that Club med etc. although I still think they are quite expensive for what you get. If you want to book either of these I would recommend booking them direct online and booking the ferry seperately, much cheaper than packages.

coddy Tue 17-Jul-07 12:20:12

id say cmaping and let her take a mate

keycamp do a " base" thign wher the kids meet at 5pm thn go off wiht the reps to do activites ( often off site)

coddy Tue 17-Jul-07 12:23:01

http://www2.keycamp.co.uk/explorethelife/Childrensclubs/Forteenagers/tabid/304/Default.aspx

when oyu look at the sites wew ent to "le palmyre"
perfcet for teenagers

twelveyeargap Tue 17-Jul-07 18:38:36

Thanks all. DH loving the idea of the Esprit Alps thing, but I think Keycamp will be next on list if they don't have availability at the right time.

We would let her take a friend, but the two or three friends of hers that we know well enough (and like enough!) to take are already busy. Will definitely plan better for next year!

twelveyeargap Sun 26-Aug-07 22:25:56

Back last week from the Esprit holiday. Would recommend it to anyone. The accom is basic at best, but the staff are really fantastic and at £409 per adult, full board for the week, I think it's quite a bargain.

Thanks for the tip.

chinwag Mon 27-Aug-07 15:32:25

Key camp looks fab!!

ska Tue 04-Sep-07 14:27:17

eurocamp, book one of their teenager friendly places (phone them and the brilliant staff) - martianbishop suggested a site in the netherlands recently but we need a bit more sun!
keycamp and eurocamp are the same company i think and have similar prices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now